Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ban on fireworks for sale to general public

Comments

• Options

Don't own dogs (was attacked twice as a child and had to go hospital) but I do have children who love the fireworks we do with friends.

Punish people who use fireworks irresponsibility and punish dog owners who own dogs irresponsibly

The trouble with punishing people after the event is people could have already been injured/traumatised by the dog/firework. Something has to be put in place to prevent the distress to dogs/people.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Prefer fireworks to dogs but wouldn't ban either.

All dogs should be licensed imho

As they have to be in Northern Ireland (£12.50 per year). Go figure.

Of course, it's not just dogs that have a problem with fireworks. Horses, farm animals, birds, etc, etc all go apeshit.

Back in the day, you had fireworks on 5th Nov. It didn't matter what day of the week that was. And that was it. It made it easier for people to make appropriate arrangements for their animals. Now, if 5th falls mid-week, you get the actual day, and both the preceding and following weekends. (Setting aside kids letting them off at random everywhere.) People have also tended to start incorporating them in their birthday celebrations, New Year celebrations, etc.

Let's be clear, these things are low-grade explosives. They hurt people. In 2005, the last year the UK Govt. collated data on firework accidents, there were 990 injuries some of which were horrendous. But in Northern Ireland (again) they still keep stats for what they quaintly call "The Halloween Period". There were 15 injuries in 2015 and, surprise, surprise 13 of those were to males under the age of 18. BUT what is interesting is that this figure used to be around 200 per season.
    So, what changed? Well, in 2002 the Explosives (Fireworks) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2002 came into being. Which meant you needed a licence to use certain more dangerous/exciting/loud fireworks.

We have The Fireworks Regulations 2004. (Presumably why they stopped keeping stats?) But, I'm guessing from the NI stats, that there are still around 150 injuries per year requiring treatment at A&E. And that most of these will involve young males.

Still, at least, the regs banned certain types of loud and/or dangerous fireworks and also banned their use after 11:00pm, except for 5th November, 31st December, the Chinese New Year and Diwali, when the time limit is extended through to 1:00am the following day.

But, does anyone know about the time limits? Do you get a leaflet or something with firework purchases explaining this?

• Options
    I love firework displays and so do my children and grandchildren .. around here it's common for people to celebrate birthdays, the birth of a child and other special events with a few rockets and fireworks .. we cannot let the nation's celebrations go to the dogs ((:>) ..
    BUT, strict controls should be in place to prevent the sale to very young children .. It is impossible to police that properly mind you .. the profit motive usually outweighs common sense
  • Options

It's an idea but who Police's it? Set the figure high say £500 for the life of the dog, but who checks to see if I have one or four dogs? Micro chipping is now law but even where I live every other dog found isn't chipped. Stopping private breeders would help, newspapers carrying adverts for animals. Maybe if you had to pay a minimum of £750 for a dog there wouldn't be half as many idiots with them? Incidentally mine are all chipped and tattooed. Back to fireworks, I'm not sure if mine are guarding when something goes bang or is frightened he goes into protection mode and the others follow suit but doesn't physically shake.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

To play Devil’s Advocate as my son used to be terrified of dogs I would get fed up with them being everywhere.

Not only is it a problem when they walk past on a lead and are inquisitive - especially of children, but in parks, (and just about any patch of grass) dogs seem to be allowed to run free.

If I slapped half of the people that would tell me that their dog wouldn’t hurt anyone as my son was screaming in fear at a dog barking at him and trying to jump up to him I’d be in prison until retirement.

I’m not a big fan of fireworks and don’t appreciate them going off until late every night for two weeks but if I had to choose one of the two to be banned from the UK permanently I’d vote for dogs to go.

Just an alternative view.

What's you view on working dogs @kings hill addick police dogs, guide dogs, assistance dogs, Therapy dogs? Genuine question, incidentally if you would like meet my dogs with your family you would be more than welcome. It may help.
    the government should be doing something about this. how can honest folk make a living when dogs are doing it for a few biscuits. just another lot stealing our jobs. ban em!
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

It's an idea but who Police's it? Set the figure high say £500 for the life of the dog, but who checks to see if I have one or four dogs? Micro chipping is now law but even where I live every other dog found isn't chipped. Stopping private breeders would help, newspapers carrying adverts for animals. Maybe if you had to pay a minimum of £750 for a dog there wouldn't be half as many idiots with them? Incidentally mine are all chipped and tattooed. Back to fireworks, I'm not sure if mine are guarding when something goes bang or is frightened he goes into protection mode and the others follow suit but doesn't physically shake.
    Well, as i said, it happens in Northern Ireland which is part of the UK of course. Not only do they have microchipping but dogs must also wear a collar with the owner's name and address inscribed on it, or on a plate or badge attached to the collar.

Failure to ensure that your dog wears the appropriate collar identification is an offence which could result in a maximum fine of £1,000. That's easy to police (potentially) and then easy to double check the licence. (They also have "block licences" for more than three or more dogs under certain circumstances, like breeders, shepherds, etc. They are required to keep records.)

But all domestic dogs have to be licensed individually. If you're over 65, the licence is free for one dog and £5 for each additional dog.
  • Options

T.C.E said:

To play Devil’s Advocate as my son used to be terrified of dogs I would get fed up with them being everywhere.

Not only is it a problem when they walk past on a lead and are inquisitive - especially of children, but in parks, (and just about any patch of grass) dogs seem to be allowed to run free.

If I slapped half of the people that would tell me that their dog wouldn’t hurt anyone as my son was screaming in fear at a dog barking at him and trying to jump up to him I’d be in prison until retirement.

I’m not a big fan of fireworks and don’t appreciate them going off until late every night for two weeks but if I had to choose one of the two to be banned from the UK permanently I’d vote for dogs to go.

What's you view on working dogs @kings hill addick police dogs, guide dogs, assistance dogs, Therapy dogs? Genuine question, incidentally if you would like meet my dogs with your family you would be more than welcome. It may help.
    the government should be doing something about this. how can honest folk make a living when dogs are doing it for a few biscuits. just another lot stealing our jobs. ban em!
    and most of them are German.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No need for anyone to buy fireworks.
  • Options
    Just for the record, I think fireworks are the biggest waste of money on the planet, save a palace season ticket and even though I sold em in my shop and also planned em for various peoples weddings over here, for 1800 Euros for a 12 minutes display - suckers
  • Options
    Licencing dogs should absolutely be brought is an all imo
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

When I was a child I liked dogs but only ones that we're smaller than me. When I was 4 a dog considerably taller than me was allowed to roam free in a public park (shouldn't be a problem if the owner has it well trained and it answers commands). The dog proceeded to hassle a number of families playing games or having picnics and the owner never bothered to call it. When it can to is it came running straight at me. It would have stopped I'm sure but as a kid I didn't know that so tried to run. The owner said the usual ohh don't worry he won't hurt anyone. Just as it jumped up and brought it's paws down on my face. The deepest scratch was less than a CM from my eye. I could have lost the eye according to the doctor. I still have a small scar today.

Not sure how it's related other than to say that any dog owner that says 'don't worry he won't hurt you' really pisses me off.

I'm also not a fan of fireworks other than on a few set years a day. I'd also stop kids buying then and letting them odd randomly...
    That sucks I'm sorry mate. With my dog I always ask people if they're ok with dogs before I let her go close to them. It's just a courtesy thing as much as anything else.
    To be fair hasn't scarred me. I like dogs now. Just too many useless owners out there.
  • Options
    Fireworks are an everyday occurrence here, it's a bloody nightmare, daytime, nighttime, anytime, bang bang pop. Drives me mental.

Thankfully they don't seem to phase my dog in the slightest, or we'd have both gone crazy by now.
  • Options
    Dogs are fantastic animals but 'ownership' of a dog on a whim, mainly in urban areas is a problem. In a way non dog owners or lovers have dogs imposed on them in one way or another whether they like it or not.
    It is not down to the animal, a dog can't help being a dog, but way too many people who keep dogs seem to not give much of a damn about the impact of their animal on others.
    Halloween is now the second biggest festival spend after Christmas. This has definitely been something that has happened in the last 30 years or so. It used to be a holy day, All Hallows Evening where one remembered and prayed for the dead, now it is a manipulated money spinner aimed at the plain ignorant.
    Fireworks are all well and good but I would like their use restricted to something like two days a year, they do frighten animals.
    I love cats but wish they wouldn't shit in people's gardens, the neighbours cat that visits me is cleaner than I am.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

T.C.E said:

Well, as i said, it happens in Northern Ireland which is part of the UK of course. Not only do they have microchipping but dogs must also wear a collar with the owner's name and address inscribed on it, or on a plate or badge attached to the collar.

Failure to ensure that your dog wears the appropriate collar identification is an offence which could result in a maximum fine of £1,000. That's easy to police (potentially) and then easy to double check the licence. (They also have "block licences" for more than three or more dogs under certain circumstances, like breeders, shepherds, etc. They are required to keep records.)

But all domestic dogs have to be licensed individually. If you're over 65, the licence is free for one dog and £5 for each additional dog.
    I agree, but as I said. Who Polices it? The Police, that would be the same underfunded force that can't attend burglary and car crimes because they don't have the manpower. When we done away with the dog license previously it was because it wasn't cost affective. It's recently been rumoured that an owner not carrying shit bags can be fined, I've had people turn up at my dog training without a dogs lead so that has no chance of happening. As I said, my dogs are chipped, tattooed and when Road walked are wearing the appropriate collars but I never been checked.
  • Options
    Dog licences were mandatory in the UK until 1987 (thanks Google) but it was widely ignored and less than half of dogs had one.

As someone said earlier, who would police it? Funds being cut constantly would mean this would just be ignored by most as it would rarely be enforced.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dog licences were mandatory in the UK until 1987 (thanks Google) but it was widely ignored and less than half of dogs had one.

As someone said earlier, who would police it? Funds being cut constantly would mean this would just be ignored by most as it would rarely be enforced.

Privatise it.
  • Options

Add a tax to fireworks
  • Options
    Remember as a child those public info 'ads' on TV that went out in the run up to November 5th, advising owners to make sure their pets were safe inside on Bonfire night. Would be pointless now.
  • Options

No need for anyone to buy a car.
    No need for anyone to go to the pub.
    No need for anyone to have a tv.
    No need for anyone to talk to their neighbours.
    No need for anyone to use the internet.
    No need for anyone to watch football.

Dull old world though when you start outlawing the unnecessary.
  • Options
    Humphrey don't give a shit about fireworks coz he's a reindeer

• Options
    i dont see anything wrong with public displays of burning.

PS still a joke officer
  • Options
    Stig said:

No need for anyone to buy a car.
    No need for anyone to go to the pub.
    No need for anyone to have a tv.
    No need for anyone to talk to their neighbours.
    No need for anyone to use the internet.
    No need for anyone to watch football.

Dull old world though when you start outlawing the unnecessary.
    Mostly agree with you but have to take you to task over the 2nd one.
  • Options

Privatise it.
    Can’t think of anyone suitable that maybe looking for a new career;)
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Privatise it.
    Can’t think of anyone suitable that maybe looking for a new career;)
    It would need someone hard working, with a thick skin, good communication skills to deal with public.

No, I can't think of anyone either.