Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ban on fireworks for sale to general public

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Not trained him properly? 
    Dick comment in my opinion.

He was fine til someone fired a firework off right towards us on a walk when he was about two years old.

• Options
    Come on fellas. There's already enough bad going on in the world and some people are seriously suggesting banning something that might just give a little bit of joy to families around the country who are stuck indoors and unable to do anything else?

I'm not a massive fan of fireworks myself and do find them annoying when they're going off at random, but banning them?

• Options
    I haven't waved my Roman Candle for years.
  • Options
    I think the day has been lost. It used to be a special day and was celebrated on that day. We like most people had a bonfire in our garden, fireworks bought form our corner ship, jacket potato, beans and sausages and a Catherine wheel cake. Now in our society where Christmas starts in August we do it when we want and it isn't so special anymore. It may be still daytime, raining or foggy, still they have to light these not inexpensive items. The ultimate example of lack of any self control. 

Fortunately, they don't bother our dog at all for some reason.  
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    T_C_E said:
    To play Devil’s Advocate as my son used to be terrified of dogs I would get fed up with them being everywhere. Not only is it a problem when they walk past on a lead and are inquisitive - especially of children, but in parks, (and just about any patch of grass) dogs seem to be allowed to run free. If I slapped half of the people that would tell me that their dog wouldn’t hurt anyone as my son was screaming in fear at a dog barking at him and trying to jump up to him I’d be in prison until retirement. I’m not a big fan of fireworks and don’t appreciate them going off until late every night for two weeks but if I had to choose one of the two to be banned from the UK permanently I’d vote for dogs to go. Just an alternative view.
    What's you view on working dogs @kings hill addick police dogs, guide dogs, assistance dogs, Therapy dogs? Genuine question, incidentally if you would like meet my dogs with your family you would be more than welcome. It may help.

I an vouch for what @TCE says. It helped my grand-daughters overcome their fear of dogs.
  • Options
    Vinnie V. said:
    My dog doesn't isn't afraid of fireworks at all he just goes and lies by the door to guard us from them. He is however terrified of the ironing board.

I feel for you. My wife's the same.
    She lies by the door to protect you?
    Top work! 
  • Options
    I wouldn't ban them, but I do think their use should be restricted to Bonfire Night itself and perhaps the Saturday before and after 5th November, plus New Year and Diwali or other major religious festival.

It is not fair on pets for them to suffer for about a month every year because people are letting off fireworks. My cat is now deaf, but when she was younger, she was terrified of fireworks and we could never be certain that she would be safe to go out around this time of the year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've noticed a significant reduction in the amount of fireworks going off so far this year.
  • Options
    Getting into a bit of a minefield, especially when some religious holidays like to celebrate with fireworks. 
    Let me rephrase that for you in to what you actually said:

"Getting in to a bit of a minefield, especially when some people that believe in things they can't prove, will never never be able to prove (due to it all being complete and utter lies that, for some reason, the general populace have been scared in to not calling each and every idiot out that believes any strain of religious idiocy) yet think others should accommodate their medieval bullsh*t but ignore the murder, slavery, misogyny, slaughter, racism and outright nastiness that runs through the veins of the belief system. All because they want to celebrate an un-provable diseased mindset with fireworks."

Very much welcome.

The great Thomas Paine would be proud of you.
  • Options
    Some people hold dogs in such high regard I'm surprised they don't have their own parliament
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Some people hold dogs in such high regard I'm surprised they don't have their own parliament
    Dogs, Cats, Wildlife in general and people with Mental Health conditions... 

It's not just Dogs...
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Getting into a bit of a minefield, especially when some religious holidays like to celebrate with fireworks. 

"Getting in to a bit of a minefield, especially when some people that believe in things they can't prove, will never never be able to prove (due to it all being complete and utter lies that, for some reason, the general populace have been scared in to not calling each and every idiot out that believes any strain of religious idiocy) yet think others should accommodate their medieval bullsh*t but ignore the murder, slavery, misogyny, slaughter, racism and outright nastiness that runs through the veins of the belief system. All because they want to celebrate an un-provable diseased mindset with fireworks."

Very much welcome.

It really grips my sh*t when people use religion as any form of justification for anything. Prove it, then we'll talk. Can't prove it then shut the f*ck up, keep it to yourself and stop indoctrinating children into your cult because your parents abused you with religion when you were young.

In short, religious people are the epitome of stupidity.

That's all folks  :|

You will not get any disagreement from me.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    bobmunro said:

Very much welcome.

It really grips my sh*t when people use religion as any form of justification for anything. Prove it, then we'll talk. Can't prove it then shut the f*ck up, keep it to yourself and stop indoctrinating children into your cult because your parents abused you with religion when you were young.

In short, religious people are the epitome of stupidity.

That's all folks  :|
    At most people could be agnostic. (My position - I don't believe in the traditional religions)

I just don't get how people can be so blindly faithful that their fairytale is more real than someone else's. 

When most religions condemn lost friends and my mother to their versions of hell because of how they died, it just adds to my belief of how deeply they like to scaremonger their believers.

I won't comment on religion anymore than that as it pisses me off too much.
  • Options
    I doubt the majority of people could link Easter, Christmas, All Hallowes Evening/All Saints Day, and fireworks night to many details of their origins.
    What is called 'traditional' seems to me to be made anew each year, and many of the so called traditions inherent in the events only go back barely twelve months.
    Halloween is as much about tradition as these crass events like 'baby showers'. If people enjoy a bit of a hoo hah and it doesn't impinge on others they should get on with it.
    Noisy fireworks disturb the peace but are tolerable for a couple of days.
    Of the four events I have listed above, three of them are in one way a celebration of death, and two of them most certainly are a celebration of both death and suffering.
    Maybe never more fitting in these times when so many are suffering death from the virus.
  • Options
    I remember a few years ago I was in my 7th floor flat and I started hearing huge bangs going off outside my balcony. I genuinely thought it was a terrorist attack until I crawled onto the balcony and realised it was my Chinese neighbours celebrating their new year by letting off fireworks 12 feet away from the base of the building. Some people shouldn't be allowed matches let alone fireworks.
  • Options
    Not a massive fan of fireworks or dogs, although probably prefer fireworks as they don’t get let off of a lead in Scadbury Park to try to bite my children and they also don’t leave their mess everywhere.

It reminds be of some locals around The Valley when we were trying to go back...  blocking our return knowing that the football ground had been there for ages, much like fireworks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Dogs are deservedly held in high regard. 
  • Options
    Off The Leash Dog Cartoons  revenge of the canines
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Chunes said:
    Dogs are deservedly held in high regard. 

Well you would say that ;)

I expect you want a medal now too

• Options
    edited October 2020
    yesh pwease
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I have many happy memories of fireworks night as a kid. It was basically an excuse for a party. Penny for a guy was a big thing for us kids in the 80s, probably more so than trick or treat. I haven't seen kids in London doing penny for the guy in many, many years. 

We used to own cats and would just keep them inside on fireworks night.

Perhaps we should ban dog owners from letting their pets off leads in public places.
  • Options
    I get that some dogs are scared of fireworks and there needs to be something put in place that I agree with.

But a ban on selling fireworks just because it scares a few dogs is ridiculous and way OTT in my opinion.

Why not ban selling chocolate because that makes dogs sick?

Seriously its a crazy suggestion to outright ban a human thing over something an animal doesnt like, as I say I agree something needs to be done to stop when they go off tho, maybe something like fireworks can only go off between a 3 day period over Firework night so the 4th, 5th and 6th and same for New Years Day 30th, 31st and 1st.

Other than that you need special written permission to let them off
    Its not just a 'few dogs' , you'll find its a large percentage of dogs. 
  • Options
    Not a massive fan of fireworks or dogs, although probably prefer fireworks as they don’t get let off of a lead in Scadbury Park to try to bite my children and they also don’t leave their mess everywhere.

It reminds be of some locals around The Valley when we were trying to go back...  blocking our return knowing that the football ground had been there for ages, much like fireworks.
    That's not the dogs fault... It's the human unfortunately attached to the poor dog. 
  • Options

That's not the dogs fault... It's the human unfortunately attached to the poor dog. 
    Just keep all dogs on leads then. I've had countless dogs jumping up at me wanting to play. If I wanted to play with a dog then I'd probably get one of my own.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    PopIcon said:
    I have many happy memories of fireworks night as a kid. It was basically an excuse for a party. Penny for a the guy was a big thing for us kids in the 80s, probably more so than trick or treat. I haven't seen kids in London doing penny for the guy in many, many years. 

We used to own cats and would just keep them inside on fireworks night.

Perhaps we should ban dog owners from letting their pets off leads in public places.
    My current dog and all before him, are/were never on a lead. There is no legal requirement to do so in public areas unless that area is covered by a Dog Control Order (DCO). DCOs usually, but not exclusively, are in place to cover areas used recreationally by both dog walkers and children ( such as playing fields). There is, however, a legal requirement for owners to have their dog (s) under control at all times, but that doesn't necessarily require a lead for that legal requirement to be met.