Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ban on fireworks for sale to general public

Comments

• Options
    T.C.E said:

cafcfan said:

T.C.E said:

Prefer fireworks to dogs but wouldn't ban either.

All dogs should be licensed imho

It's an idea but who Police's it? Set the figure high say £500 for the life of the dog, but who checks to see if I have one or four dogs? Micro chipping is now law but even where I live every other dog found isn't chipped. Stopping private breeders would help, newspapers carrying adverts for animals. Maybe if you had to pay a minimum of £750 for a dog there wouldn't be half as many idiots with them? Incidentally mine are all chipped and tattooed. Back to fireworks, I'm not sure if mine are guarding when something goes bang or is frightened he goes into protection mode and the others follow suit but doesn't physically shake.
    Well, as i said, it happens in Northern Ireland which is part of the UK of course. Not only do they have microchipping but dogs must also wear a collar with the owner's name and address inscribed on it, or on a plate or badge attached to the collar.

Failure to ensure that your dog wears the appropriate collar identification is an offence which could result in a maximum fine of £1,000. That's easy to police (potentially) and then easy to double check the licence. (They also have "block licences" for more than three or more dogs under certain circumstances, like breeders, shepherds, etc. They are required to keep records.)

But all domestic dogs have to be licensed individually. If you're over 65, the licence is free for one dog and £5 for each additional dog.
    I agree, but as I said. Who Polices it? The Police, that would be the same underfunded force that can't attend burglary and car crimes because they don't have the manpower. When we done away with the dog license previously it was because it wasn't cost affective. It's recently been rumoured that an owner not carrying shit bags can be fined, I've had people turn up at my dog training without a dogs lead so that has no chance of happening. As I said, my dogs are chipped, tattooed and when Road walked are wearing the appropriate collars but I never been checked.
    I don't know. But in Northern Ireland they have dog wardens a bit like traffic wardens or the "revenue protection officers" on the trains I suppose. They have the power in issue fixed penalty notices. I have no idea whether they do or whether it works. I'll find out for you.
  • Options
    Blimey, it's amazing what you can find on the interweb. In the three months April/June this year (how up to date is that!) in Northern Ireland 686 dog-related fixed penalty notices were issued. In the same period there were 67 actual prosecutions. For either attacks on people, livestock or other pets. There were also 101 "control conditions" notices issued. Refreshingly, 16 of those required the owners to go on a training course. Others were exclusions from various places, wearing a muzzle or neutering (it doesn't tell me whether those were the dog or the owner!) There were also 1550 warning letters sent out.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Blimey, it's amazing what you can find on the interweb. In the three months April/June this year (how up to date is that!) in Northern Ireland 686 dog-related fixed penalty notices were issued. In the same period there were 67 actual prosecutions. For either attacks on people, livestock or other pets. There were also 101 "control conditions" notices issued. Refreshingly, 16 of those required the owners to go on a training course. Others were exclusions from various places, wearing a muzzle or neutering (it doesn't tell me whether those were the dog or the owner!) There were also 1550 warning letters sent out.

So it can be done. Doesn't say how much that costs though but it can be done in the UK
  • Options
    looking forward to the BBC dramatization of the gunpowder plot .. starts next week
  • Options
    I do like fireworks, but it is the fact that they are set off every night for about a month at this time of the year, that causes such a problem for pet owners.

If private fireworks were confined to 5th November and perhaps Diwali, the nearest Saturday to Bonfire Night and New Year then pet owners could probably cope with terrified animals. I have no problems with organised displays outside those dates as people living near would know when fireworks are going to be set off and could make arrangements for their pets.

My cat used to be petrified of the noise, but has got used to hearing fireworks as she has got older.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

....and they also have very strict firework regulations. For obvious reasons during the "Troubles" fireworks were banned, although Public Displays were allowed. Regulations were relaxed in 1996 but tougher legislation was introduced in 2002 due to the misuse of fireworks. Now in order to purchase/use fireworks a licence has to be obtained. There is one for domestic use, ie in your garden and another for public displays. Hefty fines of up to £5000/3 months imprisonment.

Re the dog situation in NI: 1550 warning letters seems quite impressive to me for a population of under 2 million.

What an educational forum Charlton Life is!
  • Options
    I don't think either dogs or fireworks are an issue, just people. Neither should be banned but probably more regulation of both,

Over the last 10 years or so there has been an increase of large dogs and/or bull terrier type breeds, battersea now probably 4/5 are bull breeds or Rottweiller/Akita/Husky type etc, i've seen plenty of pit bulls in SE London over the past 5 years despite them being banned since the early 90's. One was off the lead in the park behind my house (where children were playing) in the summer and I had a bit of a barney with the owner who threatened to set his dog on me, fortunately i'm used to handling large dogs and much to the owners dismay the dog seemed to listen more to me than him, he didn't seem to have control anyway.

On average 28,000 injuries to children faces per year from dogs with more than 2/3 of those requiring plastic surgery. Again not the dogs fault but the owners and a very small minority of dog owners, but we do need greater regulation in my view.

Fireworks although are annoying at times when it goes on for days, if i'm indoors it doesn't effect me or my cat too much.
  • Options
    One of my dogs trembles with fear every time one goes off. He absolutely refuses to go out once it’s dark.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

cafcfan said:

T.C.E said:

Prefer fireworks to dogs but wouldn't ban either.

All dogs should be licensed imho

It's an idea but who Police's it? Set the figure high say £500 for the life of the dog, but who checks to see if I have one or four dogs? Micro chipping is now law but even where I live every other dog found isn't chipped. Stopping private breeders would help, newspapers carrying adverts for animals. Maybe if you had to pay a minimum of £750 for a dog there wouldn't be half as many idiots with them? Incidentally mine are all chipped and tattooed. Back to fireworks, I'm not sure if mine are guarding when something goes bang or is frightened he goes into protection mode and the others follow suit but doesn't physically shake.
    Well, as i said, it happens in Northern Ireland which is part of the UK of course. Not only do they have microchipping but dogs must also wear a collar with the owner's name and address inscribed on it, or on a plate or badge attached to the collar.

Failure to ensure that your dog wears the appropriate collar identification is an offence which could result in a maximum fine of £1,000. That's easy to police (potentially) and then easy to double check the licence. (They also have "block licences" for more than three or more dogs under certain circumstances, like breeders, shepherds, etc. They are required to keep records.)

But all domestic dogs have to be licensed individually. If you're over 65, the licence is free for one dog and £5 for each additional dog.
    I agree, but as I said. Who Polices it? The Police, that would be the same underfunded force that can't attend burglary and car crimes because they don't have the manpower. When we done away with the dog license previously it was because it wasn't cost affective. It's recently been rumoured that an owner not carrying shit bags can be fined, I've had people turn up at my dog training without a dogs lead so that has no chance of happening. As I said, my dogs are chipped, tattooed and when Road walked are wearing the appropriate collars but I never been checked.
    There must be a joke to be maid about tattood dogs, I just can’t think of one. ;-)
  • Options
    The problem is more and more people in smaller and smaller spaces, plus the supermarkets flogging the cheapest crap right next to the tills, meaning for a fortnight or two either side of Nov 5th you have every scally letting off crap fireworks at all hours in the 5ft long back garden. Clearly not the intended use.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, it reads
    "Yes we are with him"
  • Options
    Stig said:

No need for anyone to buy fireworks.

No need for anyone to buy a car.
    No need for anyone to go to the pub.
    No need for anyone to have a tv.
    No need for anyone to talk to their neighbours.
    No need for anyone to use the internet.
    No need for anyone to watch football.

Dull old world though when you start outlawing the unnecessary.
    Yeah - but fireworks? Really??
  • Options

looking forward to the BBC dramatization of the gunpowder plot .. starts next week

Tonight!
  • Options
    Can't just throw a ban on anything you don't like.

Maybe look into noise insulation/sound proofing on your home if it's such a big issue.
  • Options
    And yet most forms of explosives are illegal or have restrictions on sales.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Time to resurrect this old thread as my dog shivers in the corner behind the sofa... For the third night running
  • Options
    Not trained him properly? 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Time to resurrect this old thread as my dog shivers in the corner behind the sofa... For the third night running
    That's cruel - turn the heating on!

Seriously though, my pets are cowering from the lads in the park nearby setting fireworks off at random.
  • Options
    It’s absolutely ridiculous, why do they need to go on sale for weeks before the 5th? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure if it's still the case, but in Illinois it used to be the law that people could set off fireworks on the 4th of July, but anynother day you needed a permit. Would like to see something similar hear. If you want a fireworks party in your garden then fill out s form online, print off the permit and take that with you to the supermarket to get your fireworks. 

There's no reason anybody should have a problem with that unless they intent to use those fireworks irresponsibly
  • Options
    I get that some dogs are scared of fireworks and there needs to be something put in place that I agree with.

But a ban on selling fireworks just because it scares a few dogs is ridiculous and way OTT in my opinion.

Why not ban selling chocolate because that makes dogs sick?

Seriously its a crazy suggestion to outright ban a human thing over something an animal doesnt like, as I say I agree something needs to be done to stop when they go off tho, maybe something like fireworks can only go off between a 3 day period over Firework night so the 4th, 5th and 6th and same for New Years Day 30th, 31st and 1st.

Other than that you need special written permission to let them off
    You're giving the general population a six in 365 (roughly) chance of being allowed to celebrate their birthday with fireworks. 

And there would never be fireworks in the spring, summer or autumn.
  • Options
    Getting into a bit of a minefield, especially when some religious holidays like to celebrate with fireworks. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Not trained him properly? 
    Can't just throw a ban on anything you don't like. Maybe look into noise insulation/sound proofing on your home if it's such a big issue.

I try to not get angry with other comments on this forum but sorry these comments are pathetic, you obviously do not have pets, or have never had one, that like some humans, are very sensitive to noises. It would not be too bad if people let off the fireworks on November 5th but you get them for about a week before and after, Dazzler21, I know what it is like with my old dog who will not settle down for the whole night and early hours of the morning
    Have got a dog. 

• Options
    Chizz said:
    I get that some dogs are scared of fireworks and there needs to be something put in place that I agree with.

But a ban on selling fireworks just because it scares a few dogs is ridiculous and way OTT in my opinion.

Seriously its a crazy suggestion to outright ban a human thing over something an animal doesnt like, as I say I agree something needs to be done to stop when they go off tho, maybe something like fireworks can only go off between a 3 day period over Firework night so the 4th, 5th and 6th and same for New Years Day 30th, 31st and 1st.

You're giving the general population a six in 365 (roughly) chance of being allowed to celebrate their birthday with fireworks. 

Who needs to celebrate their birthday with fireworks tho.

I have had 30 birthdays and never once thought man this is rubbish because there are no fireworks 🤣🤣 
    Some people do. But this blanket ban would make that unlawful.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I have had 30 birthdays and never once thought man this is rubbish because there are no fireworks 🤣🤣 
    Yeah but it woild also make it unlawful ti celebrate Fireworks night with fireworks or new years eve with fireworks 

Those are traditions why ban those, because dogs dont like it
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Yeah but it woild also make it unlawful ti celebrate Fireworks night with fireworks or new years eve with fireworks 

Those are traditions why ban those, because dogs dont like it
    Sorry, by "blanket ban", what I meant was banning on all but those six days.