Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

25th Anniversary - Back to The Valley match & dinner

Comments

• Options

Swisdom said:

It’s for CACT and there won’t be another 25th BTTV dinner so technically it will be unique.

I don’t know if it’s to subsidise players attendance. Just a guess as I know some aren’t flush with cash.

I agree it’s expensive but people spend £25 on a match ticket, £10 on a train to the ground, £30 or £40 getting tanked up and fed before and after the game and think nothing of it - many could argue that’s a waste of money given the performances of the last few seasons - but we still do it dont we.

Cos we all love Charlton :wink:

A lot of people go to and from the ground without spending money eating and drinking. And you still have to pay for your drinks and get to and from The Valley on top of your £95- probably a cab home that late at night too...

Have a great night, pleased you can afford it.

Personally I think the least they could do is ask all the surviving people whose names are on the Back to the Valley wall of fame to come along as guests of honour too... :wink:
    They did offer a table, presumably free, to Valley Party activists.

So if you, or anyone else on the VP wall of fame, want to attend speak to Airman Brown to whom the invite was sent.
    Wasn't a table for 60 though. Nor were the VP activists in any way considered in the actual planning of the event.

I'd love to get together with all the available VP activists, would fly back for that, but no way was I going to be one of 10 and sod the other 50. And that was the overwhelming feeling among the others that Airman contacted.

And £95 is indefensible either way. And as for the 'swanky hotel on the Peninsula', @Swisdom was that really, seriously considered?

Quite a number of the 60 candidates are deceased, sadly. But the point stands.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

It’s for CACT and there won’t be another 25th BTTV dinner so technically it will be unique.

I don’t know if it’s to subsidise players attendance. Just a guess as I know some aren’t flush with cash.

I agree it’s expensive but people spend £25 on a match ticket, £10 on a train to the ground, £30 or £40 getting tanked up and fed before and after the game and think nothing of it - many could argue that’s a waste of money given the performances of the last few seasons - but we still do it dont we.

A lot of people go to and from the ground without spending money eating and drinking. And you still have to pay for your drinks and get to and from The Valley on top of your £95- probably a cab home that late at night too...

Personally I think the least they could do is ask all the surviving people whose names are on the Back to the Valley wall of fame to come along as guests of honour too... :wink:

So if you, or anyone else on the VP wall of fame, want to attend speak to Airman Brown to whom the invite was sent.
    Wasn't a table for 60 though. Nor were the VP activists in any way considered in the actual planning of the event.

I'd love to get together with all the available VP activists, would fly back for that, but no way was I going to be one of 10 and sod the other 50. And that was the overwhelming feeling among the others that Airman contacted.

And £95 is indefensible either way. And as for the 'swanky hotel on the Peninsula', @Swisdom was that really, seriously considered?

I was told earlier in the year the plan was for a nice hotel somewhere on the Peninsula. Not sure if it was for a more salubrious surrounding, for more space or for cost reasons. No idea at all. Seems strange because The Valley is the only place for this
  • Options
    They will slash the price because there simply won't be enough interest at this price to subsidise players meals. They might struggle to guarantee one supporter per table of legends and dignatories.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

How many have left us, Rick?

• Options
    seth plum said:

Swisdom said:

I appreciate £95 is a lot of money but this is a once in a lifetime chance to meet some of our illustrious past players. I first heard the plan was to do it in a swanky hotel on the Peninsula however the next communication I got was it was to be held at the Valley. Doesn't bother me either way to be honest - The Valley probably makes it a bit cheaper so not all bad.

The return to The Valley is one of the biggest days in our history so, for me, it is something I really want to be a part of - the cost is almost secondary. My understanding is they are looking to get around 400 people attending - presumably including a large number of ex players. That also probably carries a cost which might account for some of the £95. Many players over the past 25 years missed the boat on the mega money so subsidising an event for former players is part and parcel of it all I think.

Should be a fun evening - certainly a unique one.

Subsidising the former players is the actual intent is it?

Ummmm.

They want 400 people, when doing the food for so many the quality is extremely unlikely to be any good, even less likely if you're a vegetarian.

You sit around a circular table where rushed minimum payment staff present tiny cold portions of food, and gaze across at some 'top' table including staff that hate you, and watch them consume what you have paid for.

Maybe a shuffling, watch glancing, phone checking former player will provide monosyllabic responses to the mildest of questions, and somebody you have never heard of, and wasn't involved in the struggle, will make some kind of speech that I could write myself right now.
    Then there is an auction where the rich can show off how rich they are. All justified because it is supposedly for a good cause.

I might attend such an event for £25, but to pay to watch Cojones stuff his chucchi face is not an attractive option.

If anybody at the club reads this and thinks it is overly cynical and negative then take it as a challenge.

Provide substantial hot food and coffee, with a choice of options both carnivore and vegan/vegetarian. Make an original film to be shown covering the Valley campaign and return. Former players who are invited for free should only be invited on the understanding they mix with the fans rather than establish a corral of their old mates avoiding the rest of the attendees.

Hire the 2% as a band togive life to the evening.

Avoid dear Steve Sutherland or Brian Cole as the MC or auctioneer, invite Gemma Arterton to do it instead, as an actress and fan she will be prepared, fluent, and clear speaking.

Have a free bar and charge no more than £50 and if the event makes a loss, take it out of Cojones wage.
    Hold on, what about free drinks, lap top dancers for the men and The Chippendales for the ladies ? :smile:
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Gwen King, Chick Fowles, Brian Bird, Vic Skinner, Dick Ayers, Kevin Fox, Colin Holland, Bernie Taylor, Gary Hannant, Rosina Larking (assumed), Brian Smart (assumed), which would be 11.
  • Options
    Anything described as a "gala dinner" is a turn-off. Pompous and staid. Will "hot and cold beverages" be served?
  • Options
    Where is this swanky hotel on the peninsula of which people speak? I can only think of the Holiday Inn Express with its Chinese restaurant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I still haven't got my head around ........ someone thought a "Back to The Valley" Anniversary dinner could have been anywhere but The Valley. ....... Who ever it was, how out of touch could you possibly be!
  • Options

Where is this swanky hotel on the peninsula of which people speak? I can only think of the Holiday Inn Express with its Chinese restaurant.

This one, maybe.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/england/london/south-east/greenwich/hotels/intercontinental-london-the-o2/
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Swisdom said:

Gwen King, Chick Fowles, Brian Bird, Vic Skinner, Dick Ayers, Kevin Fox, Colin Holland, Bernie Taylor, Gary Hannant, Rosina Larking (assumed), Brian Smart (assumed), which would be 11.</blockqu as well............sorry that
  • Options
    Cut the crap. Owner of Dover bought all the supporters a pint or something fizzy on the last two days of last season. That's how you do class.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I appreciate £95 is a lot of money but this is a once in a lifetime chance to meet some of our illustrious past players. I first heard the plan was to do it in a swanky hotel on the Peninsula however the next communication I got was it was to be held at the Valley. Doesn't bother me either way to be honest - The Valley probably makes it a bit cheaper so not all bad.

The return to The Valley is one of the biggest days in our history so, for me, it is something I really want to be a part of - the cost is almost secondary. My understanding is they are looking to get around 400 people attending - presumably including a large number of ex players. That also probably carries a cost which might account for some of the £95. Many players over the past 25 years missed the boat on the mega money so subsidising an event for former players is part and parcel of it all I think.

Should be a fun evening - certainly a unique one.

I imagine if you have a few quid and are relatively wealthy (as you may well be without knowing you or being too personal) but extrapolate the price to £950 a ticket or £9,500 a ticket (or what would be prohibitive relative to your individual wealth) and your case is undermined. Many of those who would be interested in this £95 a ticket (and most would require more than one at a guess) would be prohibitive for the average punter.

• Options
    stonemuse said:

iainment said:

Swisdom said:

Gwen King, Chick Fowles, Brian Bird, Vic Skinner, Dick Ayers, Kevin Fox, Colin Holland, Bernie Taylor, Gary Hannant, Rosina Larking (assumed), Brian Smart (assumed), which would be 11.
    RIP. I owe them a great debt.
    We all do.
    I think we should do something for all those involved in the VP, during the anniversary game.
  • Options
    Ta, @clive. I am a bit outdated. Usually the Ibis in Grenwich is as swanky as it gets for me.
  • Options

Agreed it takes the average fan out of the equation, shame

Maybe that’s the idea?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    wow you would hope not, I know it wasn't much but as a 21 year old I felt my £100 contributed to getting us back.And was something I was proud to have done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The fundraising is a red herring because CACT has planned to give a significant part of the money away to other charities. The main beneficiary anyway is likely to be the catering contractor.

As for people attending, it's entirely a matter of individual choice. Nobody I know has a problem with anyone else attending, but equally you can't make decisions for those who choose not to participate because they want nothing to do with the regime or for any other reason.

The event is nothing to do with the regime.

Great post GHF. As you say, the event is far too expensive, and if anyone can't attend for financial reasons, that's fair enough, but to boycott the 25th anniversary dinner for BTTV is a shame. Posters have stated there have been others but a 25 year one is special. Am sure the response will be better if the takeover goes ahead by then, but if not, it's easy to ignore the SMT and just enjoy the event with the players past and present.

I write this as someone who eats very little due to my cancer surgery , not saying this for sympathy, but if anyone has good reason to say it's too dear, I am certainly one of them. It's not about the food though is it? It's to celebrate our victory in getting the team back to it's rightful home, The Valley.

The bit in bold is the important part. Nothing else really matters.

• Options

So, then, so far almost all comments are hostile. Nice.

Well then, as delightful and totally valid the views expressed hitherto have been, curiously enough other opinions are also available, and one happens to be mine. It's seldom that I've felt it necessary to take issue with the eminent posters above, but, sorry folks, this default atmosphere of animosity is really getting to me.

Yes, it's far too dear
    Yes, the cuisine will be British mass catering at its most average
    Yes, the sight of the SMT and certain others will not induce mass euphoria
    Yes, it could have been better organised (Sir Stuart Thingy - who the f-f-flippin' heck are you?)
    Yes, the issue of the VP vets should have been dealt with differently
    Yes, it's finally been publicised imo far too late, especially for an event so close to Xmas
    Yes, I'll say it again - plain and simple the pricing is dead wrong

But, as has been said about a zillion times over the past nearly four years - It Is What It Is.

It' s possible that the team's present good form will falter
    Maybe the prevailing takeover fever will subside
    Sadly Wolfie Smith's revolution will happen too late to prevent the rich guys from scooping up the auctions
    Perhaps, then, the whole event will just fart away like an unknotted balloon.

But this special celebration HAS to be a great success, both on the night and also for the benefit of CACT's coffers. On the night of the 5th the Museum will be hosting a very different event f.o.c. and I urge all to attend. If the Pompey match attendance is below 20K it will be a great disappointment. Finally, all should feel welcome to come along to CACT - all principles, prejudices and politics can safely be left in the cloakroom for the evening, to be collected proud, polished and intact when the night is done.

For some of us the clock is ticking a bit louder than for others. One reason I'm going is because if I miss this one the next such party will probably require an exhumation order.

But please, for once, let darker feelings be set aside so that for all the right reasons a memorable evening will be an absolute triumph for all proud Addicks.

Thank you.
    GHF

it would be disappointing but I don't think it will be too much more than the norm. I was at the game on 5th December 1992, I was at the event the following night, on Walshie's table luckily, but I won't be there on the 9th December. Unless of course Roland has departed by then.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Rob7Lee said:

@GlassHalfFull & @Swisdom

I haven’t seen many say they are boycotting the event for events sake (although there will be some). I know a few who would love to go but don’t have a few hundred pounds to spend on a couple going out for the evening or have a better need for £100+ per person. A sit down gala dinner just isn’t everyone’s cup of tea anymore than POTY do’s are, doesn’t make the do’s wrong nor the people not attending or can't afford to attend.

I've been picked up numerous times on the political threads about not appreciating the difficulties financially many people have, but even I can see that hundreds of pounds for an evening out is beyond an awful lot of peoples reach especially 2 weeks before Christmas and the huge expense that can bring to families. As has been said above, £95 to one person is the same as £950 or £9,500 to another.

I do find it odd that CACT who do such tremendous work in the community in particular with people who may otherwise not be able to afford the services they provide, yet on this they are pricing out a large part of their "community".......

I had suggested to the committee to consider a more informal do (in addition) at The Valley with a buffet etc probably more in the £15/20 region but for whatever reason they didn't think that worthwhile/appropriate etc I pressume.

"It's not about the food though is it? It's to celebrate our victory in getting the team back to it's rightful home, The Valley."

The Valley is a special place for all of us. It still can make the hair on the back of my neck stand up both when I’m there or when I think back to December 1992. I/we have many people to thank for the fact we can go there, I don’t need a gala dinner to do that. I’d rather give £500 to those who were in and around the Valley Party/Board etc who are still with us for them to raise a glass IN THE MUSEUM ON 5 DECEMBER to the achievements and to toast those who are sadly no longer with us but we’re instrumental in the return.

Edited that for you

• Options

Swisdom said:

The fundraising is a red herring because CACT has planned to give a significant part of the money away to other charities. The main beneficiary anyway is likely to be the catering contractor.

As for people attending, it's entirely a matter of individual choice. Nobody I know has a problem with anyone else attending, but equally you can't make decisions for those who choose not to participate because they want nothing to do with the regime or for any other reason.

The event is nothing to do with the regime.
    Of course it is. Why is Meire quoted in the release announcing it? Answer: because she is making exactly that point.

Nobody with any sense would have attached her name to it. To encourage ticket sales you would use Keith Peacock, for example, who is on the committee and is paid to represent the football club.
    Earlier this week people said she was a coward for not speaking out. Previously she was lambasted for ignoring our history.

Now she's in the wrong for saying a handful of words about something that is a massive part of the club's existence and history.

• Options

Rob7Lee said:

@GlassHalfFull & @Swisdom

I haven’t seen many say they are boycotting the event for events sake (although there will be some). I know a few who would love to go but don’t have a few hundred pounds to spend on a couple going out for the evening or have a better need for £100+ per person. A sit down gala dinner just isn’t everyone’s cup of tea anymore than POTY do’s are, doesn’t make the do’s wrong nor the people not attending or can't afford to attend.

I've been picked up numerous times on the political threads about not appreciating the difficulties financially many people have, but even I can see that hundreds of pounds for an evening out is beyond an awful lot of peoples reach especially 2 weeks before Christmas and the huge expense that can bring to families. As has been said above, £95 to one person is the same as £950 or £9,500 to another.

I do find it odd that CACT who do such tremendous work in the community in particular with people who may otherwise not be able to afford the services they provide, yet on this they are pricing out a large part of their "community".......

I had suggested to the committee to consider a more informal do (in addition) at The Valley with a buffet etc probably more in the £15/20 region but for whatever reason they didn't think that worthwhile/appropriate etc I pressume.

"It's not about the food though is it? It's to celebrate our victory in getting the team back to it's rightful home, The Valley."

The Valley is a special place for all of us. It still can make the hair on the back of my neck stand up both when I’m there or when I think back to December 1992. I/we have many people to thank for the fact we can go there, I don’t need a gala dinner to do that. I’d rather give £500 to those who were in and around the Valley Party/Board etc who are still with us for them to raise a glass IN THE MUSEUM ON 5 DECEMBER to the achievements and to toast those who are sadly no longer with us but we’re instrumental in the return.

Edited that for you

And I've edited your typo of the word edited :wink:

See you on the 5th sir