Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lewis Hamilton - 4 times

Comments

• Regardless of where he lives, where he lived or how much tax he has paid,or what nationality he is. He is a four time world champion. He has a rare talent.
    Maybe if he was a blond haired, coke snorting ex public school boy people would warm to him more.
  • Congratulations Lewis Hamilton wherever you live. A brilliant achievement.
  • Regardless of where he lives, where he lived or how much tax he has paid,or what nationality he is. He is a four time world champion. He has a rare talent.
    Maybe if he was a blond haired, coke snorting ex public school boy people would warm to him more.

• edited October 2017

They will be chuffed in his home country of Switzerland

Dunno why cos he doesn't live in Switzerland
    Yes he does
    No he doesn't.
    Well I guess it is almost the Pantomime season.

Hats off to Hamilton, his car is not even the second fastest but he is the best driver, and he thanked God, I like that. I respect him for his sporting achievement regardless of his birthplace, nationality or where he chooses to live. I appreciate excellence in sport and feel the same about the likes of Federer, Woods and Bristow...
  • Just heard that there has been more British F1 Champions than any other nationality.
  • An amazing achievement. What a master stroke leaving McLaren for Mercedes turned out to be, I remember most people at the time questioning why he did it!
  • They will be chuffed in his home country of Switzerland

Dunno why cos he doesn't live in Switzerland
    Yes he does
    No he doesn't.
    Is this the right room for an argument?
  • wmcf123 said:

My uncles lived in New Zealand for 30 years yet still cheered on the Lions against NZ recently.

It isn't the 1700s anymore.

Agreed - it's a facile comment.

I just don't like the guy. I acknowledge he is a brilliant driver but his personality , innate arrogance and general demeanour irritate.
    And of course, let’s not leave aside what a lovely warm, friendly, engaging and popular fella you are yourself, which in turn must make your opinion of him and just being on the same planet even more difficult for you to handle.
    Born within a must win attitude from childhood with a dash of arrogance thrown in often makes for a winner........which he clearly is.
    He sometimes came across as being a bit edgy and immature when younger but surely can be forgiven, and anyway as he’s got older much of that has disappeared.
    I actually rather like him and think he’s grown into a decent enough fella who’s living the dream and why not, good luck to him.
    Nice of you to piss on his and the nations fireworks by the way.....thanks a million.
  • Fantastic performance and great to have a British champion. Sometimes you need a bit of inner arrogance and self belief to lift you those extra few inches. His address is irrelevant. He's one of ours and he won.
  • wmcf123 said:

My uncles lived in New Zealand for 30 years yet still cheered on the Lions against NZ recently.

I just don't like the guy. I acknowledge he is a brilliant driver but his personality , innate arrogance and general demeanour irritate.
    And of course, let’s not leave aside what a lovely warm, friendly, engaging and popular fella you are yourself, which in turn must make your opinion of him and just being on the same planet even more difficult for you to handle.
    Born within a must win attitude from childhood with a dash of arrogance thrown in often makes for a winner........which he clearly is.
    He sometimes came across as being a bit edgy and immature when younger but surely can be forgiven, and anyway as he’s got older much of that has disappeared.
    I actually rather like him and think he’s grown into a decent enough fella who’s living the dream and why not, good luck to him.
    Nice of you to piss on his and the nations fireworks by the way.....thanks a million.
    Ludicrous. I respect him as a racing driver but I am entitled to like who I want, thanks; as are you.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2017
    wmcf123 said:

wmcf123 said:

Ludicrous. I respect him as a racing driver but I am entitled to like who I want, thanks; as are you.
    It was meant to be ludicrous.....in keeping with your OTT comments re our local lad and hero....... Lewisham Ilton.
    The hotel chain he has founded are a credit to him and the borough.
  • edited October 2017
    Never liked him from the start because of the way he came across but most F1 drivers give the impression they're pretty arrogant people. The problem is people demand that their sport stars be super nice too. Why do they really have to be?

He's an incredible driver and one of the all time greats. Think if all cars were equal he'd still win most races.
  • Always find it strange that some people bring up where he lives. For example Button and Coulthard, far less successful but pretty popular drivers both live there.

Quite liked his interview I saw on C4 yesterday, basically admitted people may find him weird. Wouldn't put it past him to overtake Fango and Schumacher with most world titles.

Next years title race could be very interesting, Red Bulls have got better last few months. Mercedes and Ferrari will be there, plus Alonso in a Honda powered McLaren
  • Where he lives is irrelevant - 4 times champion is a great achievement and he deserves credit.
  • edited October 2017
    Delighted for Lewis. A truly great sportsman and comes across as a decent enough human being to me.
  • Always find it strange that some people bring up where he lives. For example Button and Coulthard, far less successful but pretty popular drivers both live there.

Quite liked his interview I saw on C4 yesterday, basically admitted people may find him weird. Wouldn't put it past him to overtake Fango and Schumacher with most world titles.

Next years title race could be very interesting, Red Bulls have got better last few months. Mercedes and Ferrari will be there, plus Alonso in a Honda powered McLaren

I thought McLaren had gone to Renault?

Yeah Alonso in the McLaren Renault could be interesting.... He deserves more than 2 titles as a reflection of his talent IMO. You can see that Alonso and Hamilton have this mutual respect for one another - they recognise one another as the driver they most want to beat.
  • Whilst he is hard to warm to he is a phenomenal driver.

His demeanour is likely to be why he is so good at what he does. He has titles at every level he has driven at so he clearly is gifted
  • Swisdom said:

Whilst he is hard to warm to he is a phenomenal driver.

His demeanour is likely to be why he is so good at what he does. He has titles at every level he has driven at so he clearly is gifted

That's all well and good, but can someone please clarify where he lives.
  • Congratulation Lewis. Still the most boring pastime on the planet apart from darts. Apparently they are going to add it to the Olympics.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done Lewis. Sporting legend.
    And a vegan.
  • Not a fan of Hamilton, but then again, I'm not that bothered by F1 these days (I think it was much better back in the 1980s and early 1990s, when independent teams could still compete and more cars were trying to qualify).

However, winning four championships does deserve recognition (even if, unlike some of the other multiple winners, IMHO he has not had to deal with a genuinely bad car).

Sorry typo. They have so hopefully they'll be competing further up the grid next year
  • Swisdom said:

From Wiki...
    "At the start of 2012, he moved his personal residence from Switzerland to Monaco"
  • Fernando Alonso disagrees about the bad car part:

That same day, Alonso was asked whether he regarded Hamilton as one of the five greatest drivers in history.

"Yes," the Spaniard replied. "In F1, every single season he has been very competitive, apart from one or two with Jenson (Button) when he had some issues. He was able to win with a dominant car, with a good car like 2010 or 2012, or with bad cars like 2009 and 2011.

"Not all the champions can say that."

Subtle dig at Rosberg and Vettel there I suspect.

• Swisdom said:

From Wiki...
    "At the start of 2012, he moved his personal residence from Switzerland to Monaco"
    Oh......the same as me, didn’t know that!
  • Lost interest in F1 years ago, but I must say well done Lewis! What an achievement. Not sure how "working class" he is though - apparently his Dad used to take him and his own cart to Buckmore Park for some practice.

To prove himself, he now needs to win the Indy 500 and Le Mans.
  • not my sport, find it extremely boring but a great achievement, what does make me laugh sometimes about the whole tax avoidance of course people could if they would, as people like lewis hamilton probably arent using public services etc. working cash in hand and claiming benefits on the other hand is wrong.
  • Saga Lout said:

Lost interest in F1 years ago, but I must say well done Lewis! What an achievement. Not sure how "working class" he is though - apparently his Dad used to take him and his own cart to Buckmore Park for some practice.

To prove himself, he now needs to win the Indy 500 and Le Mans.

You mean his dad bought him a go-cart. Wow!