Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lewis Hamilton - 4 times

Comments

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

I turned it off after the first lap. Not one of the drivers had the decency to use their left and right turn indicators! Not good people at all.

To be fair to them it is a one-way street.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Redrobo said:

Saga Lout said:

Lost interest in F1 years ago, but I must say well done Lewis! What an achievement. Not sure how "working class" he is though - apparently his Dad used to take him and his own cart to Buckmore Park for some practice.

To prove himself, he now needs to win the Indy 500 and Le Mans.

You mean his dad bought him a go-cart. Wow!
    in fairness my cousin used to do go karting and its a pricey hobby, cant remember the user but theres a guy on here whos boy races im sure he will be a lot more clued up than me.

dno about working class, connor mcgregor isnt from as touger background as he makes out etc.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Saga Lout said:

Lost interest in F1 years ago, but I must say well done Lewis! What an achievement. Not sure how "working class" he is though - apparently his Dad used to take him and his own cart to Buckmore Park for some practice.

I could be wrong about this, but I'm sure I heard/read somewhere in the past that his Dad worked multiple jobs to help fund Lewis carting career. By the standards of most F1 drivers, who tend to come from well to do to flat out super-rich families (especially these days) he is like Oliver Twist.
  • Options
    Respect his achievement but does he really have to be so charmless.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Saga Lout said:

Wikipedia (I know it's not the best source)
    His father told him that he would support his racing career as long as he worked hard at school. Supporting his son became problematic, which caused him to take redundancy from his position as an IT Manager and become a contractor. He was sometimes employed in up to three jobs at a time
  • Options
    Didn't Nigel Mansell live in the Isle of Man? Another tax haven and no one had a problem with that
  • Options
    I take my hat off to his Dad then - I couldn't have afforded to run a go-cart for either of my boys when they were growing up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've worked with a few chefs who worked at McLaren while he was with them and they have all said he is the most arrogant, rude, up his own arse person, he looked down on everyone he spoke to and treated his assistants like shit.

Well done to him, 4 times a world champion is an achievement in any sport, and you don't get to the top without making some sacrifices along the way but by all accounts he isn't a very nice person.
  • Options

He is bloody brilliant, such a shame he doesnt get more love from the british people

Perhaps it's his arrogance and demonstrable self-importance that puts people off? He drives a fast car!! Good work if you can get it.
  • Options

I've worked with a few chefs who worked at McLaren while he was with them and they have all said he is the most arrogant, rude, up his own arse person, he looked down on everyone he spoke to and treated his assistants like shit.

Well done to him, 4 times a world champion is an achievement in any sport, and you don't get to the top without making some sacrifices along the way but by all accounts he isn't a very nice person.

And chefs have no egos? I know the answer to that one, I’m married to one.
  • Options
    How much tax has he dodged?
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

I take my hat off to his Dad then - I couldn't have afforded to run a go-cart for either of my boys when they were growing up.

I think the point is; neither could his dad. He did more than one job so he could. A reasonable second-hand go cart nowadays is £2k? A good one £4k. It is the cheapest form of racing there is, and some say, the most fun. (Did you get the Clarkson bit there?).

As for this avoiding tax bit, if I was a multi millionaire I would live somewhere warmer than here - and if it meant less tax as well - Happy Days!
  • Options
    regarding tax there's still a lot of love for a team in glasgow :wink:
  • Options

As much as possible I hope. HMG would only piss it up the wall anyway.
  • Options

None. He just pays tax to the country he is living in.

Dodging would be pretending to live somewhere else to avoid paying tax.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Where the hell does this arrogance thing come from?! Genuinely baffles me - he is one of the most articulate, well spoken, polite and humble sportsmen around.

He always thanks his team and if he makes a mistake or isn't fast enough (rarely) he fronts up to it.

It doesn't add up

It’s purely and simply a British trait taking place, in all it’s preposterous glory.
    I don’t even have to spell it out folks......you all know what I mean.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Saga Lout said:

I think the point is; neither could his dad. He did more than one job so he could. A reasonable second-hand go cart nowadays is £2k? A good one £4k. It is the cheapest form of racing there is, and some say, the most fun. (Did you get the Clarkson bit there?).

As for this avoiding tax bit, if I was a multi millionaire I would live somewhere warmer than here - and if it meant less tax as well - Happy Days!
    Well, I wouldn't have had the energy for 2 jobs - I could just about cope with the one job I had so,as I said, I take my hat off to his Dad.

Regarding not paying tax, I spent my entire working life resenting the amount of tax I paid and trying my best to minimise it. I trust myself to spend my money more wisely than the Government (of whatever colour) and bear in mind I did a lot of work for Government departments in my time. I can't imagine moving abroad permanently, although I have friends who have done and they seem to be ok.
  • Options
    Well done Lewis. Fantastic achievement. A lot of sacrifice and determination goes into what he has achieved and he hasn't finished yet.

I like F1 as a sport but like so many other sports (football included) I do get the hump with the contracts they sign. Is anyone really worth £30million plus a year?
  • Options
    not arrogance but if he loves the UK and London so much he should of been at that London f1 event, many young kids wont get the opportunity to attend Grand Prix because of the cost involved.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

Well done Lewis. Fantastic achievement. A lot of sacrifice and determination goes into what he has achieved and he hasn't finished yet.

I like F1 as a sport but like so many other sports (football included) I do get the hump with the contracts they sign. Is anyone really worth £30million plus a year?

FI greatly helps the likes of Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Honda and Renault develop new technology that then migrates to their mass produced cars and aids their sales figures. It also provides huge amounts of publicity for their brands.

They wouldn't do it if there wasn't a return so on that basis they view paying Lewis £30m a year as a good investment.

Is anyone worth that money? No. Is anyone worth that money as a commercial investment? Clearly yes.
  • Options

not arrogance but if he loves the UK and London so much he should of been at that London f1 event, many young kids wont get the opportunity to attend Grand Prix because of the cost involved.

Rightly or wrongly, he put his preparations for the next race ahead of a PR event. Results would suggest he did the right thing, before that week his results were decidedly mixed, after that he won 5 from 7 I think.
  • Options

Where the hell does this arrogance thing come from?! Genuinely baffles me - he is one of the most articulate, well spoken, polite and humble sportsmen around.

He always thanks his team and if he makes a mistake or isn't fast enough (rarely) he fronts up to it.

It doesn't add up

Cmon, Damo, we all know that the likes of Tyson Fury,Ben Stokes,Gazza,Roy Keane (as he played for a British team) and Frank Bruno are the true British sporting heroes, whereas Lewis Hamilton,Chris Froome and Mo Farah are just tax dodgers.