Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lewis Hamilton - 4 times

Comments

• What an astonishing drive by Lewis today.

Starts at the very back, and winds his way up to almost getting on the podium ending up 4th half a second behind. Truly astonishing.

What an incredible driver he is.

That's because he is and always has been an incredible driver, a true great.

It really irks me when I see people slagging him off, as many have done on here. He gets accused of arrogance but as someone who has followed his career closely, I have to say that he is one of the most humble sportsmen around.

Why is it that so many British people can't appreciate real greatness when it's in front of their eyes? When Lewis retires there may be no British F1 driver to support. Enjoy his success while you can.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion
  • Without doubt he's a fantastic driver, probably the best we've had.

He's focussed, that's for sure, but you need to be to reach the pinnacle of your chosen career........ and stay there.

I like him and like most British motor racing fans love it when he beats Vettel. The noise from the Silverstone crowd when Vettel had his puncture in July was hilarious.
  • Yes he has a good car and a great accountant

You got a problem bolloxbolder?
  • edited November 2017

Yes he has a good car and a great accountant

Same car as his counterpart and ended up in real terms some 20 seconds ahead of him.
    I despair of the Anti-Hamilton brigade on here , i think they have a big problem allied with a small Intelligence Quotient. They have no basis on their anti-Hamiltonism other to roll out the best car, tax dodger meme....again.
  • Hamilton will prove to be (if he hasnt already) the greatest British GP driver ever.
    I salute you Sir.
  • I am a big Hamilton fan and have been since his first season. He is a great driver but let's not pretend that the car is not a factor. Vettel started at the back a few weeks ago and finished 4th. The reality is that the Mercs and the Ferraris are so much better than the rest (Red Bull have improved but decided to turn their turbos down as a precaution yesterday) that anything lower than forth would have been a disappointment.

Hamilton even had a brand new engine and was able to ramp it up as there is only one more race this season. He also had a safety car early on and there were a handful of retirements (4). Even though his drive was impressive (as it is at almost every race) if you look at just how easily he drove past the other cars it does suggest that there is a vast difference in performance. It doesn't take a great driver to, literally, drive a faster car past a slower one in a straight line. I don't remember him doing many impressive overtakes, he just opened the throttle and went past.

I was really hoping that he was going to win the race as improbable as it might have seemed at the start. That would have been truly impressive. The commentators big it up because unless something like this happens there is, virtually, nothing to get excited about. The front four (or six if it's a track that suits Red Bull) just pull away and there is virtually no overtaking in the sport - unless a really fast car ends up behind slower ones then 'Crofty' gets all excited as he describes the equivalent of Usain Bolt passing Johnnie Jackson several times.
  • Agree with your comments KH - however, to get a drive in one of the best cars you need to be one of the best drivers - and Hamilton proves that he is the best of the best. If he wasnt then he would be driving a Force India or Williams .
  • I wouldn't mind seeing Alonso partner him at Mercedes as he's the only other driver, albeit beyond his peak, who is anywhere near LH in terms of raw talent
  • jamescafc said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Alonso partner him at Mercedes as he's the only other driver, albeit beyond his peak, who is anywhere near LH in terms of raw talent

I think Bottas is the perfect fit and see no reason to even contemplate changing.
    He’s a great team mate and they obviously get on really well and all seems hunky dory in the Mercedes set up.
    Of course, down the line Bottas may well decide he wants a better shot at the title, in which case he will most likely want to move on.
    In the meantime..............he’s earning gazillions!
  • jamescafc said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Alonso partner him at Mercedes as he's the only other driver, albeit beyond his peak, who is anywhere near LH in terms of raw talent

I think Bottas is the perfect fit and see no reason to even contemplate changing.
    He’s a great team mate and they obviously get on really well and all seems hunky dory in the Mercedes set up.
    Of course, down the line Bottas may well decide he wants a better shot at the title, in which case he will most likely want to move on.
    I think they get on well as VB is no match for LH.

My comment was about having the two most talented drivers in the same car and seeing how LH performs.

May be doing Vettel an injustice here but just don't like him
  • Sponsored links:

• jamescafc said:

jamescafc said:

I think they get on well as VB is no match for LH.

My comment was about having the two most talented drivers in the same car and seeing how LH performs.

May be doing Vettel an injustice here but just don't like him
    It can make it less interesting for the viewer when there's a clear No 2, when Mercedes were completely dominant, the Lewis vs Nico battles at least gave us a few sparks, or Lewis vs Fernando in their brief time together at McLaren

• I think that to spice F1 up a bit, they should reverse the order of the grid - so if you qualify first then you start at the back of the grid - however, this should only be done after a spin of the coin after qualifying, to make sure that everyone tried their best.
  • I think that to spice F1 up a bit, they should reverse the order of the grid - so if you qualify first then you start at the back of the grid - however, this should only be done after a spin of the coin after qualifying, to make sure that everyone tried their best.

I think that's a great idea!
  • It's proved though that if you have the best car life is so much easier without the hassle of both of your drivers hating each other. Competitive sport will always cause these frictions. Rosberg was nowhere near as good a driver as Hamilton. His title came because Hamilton had more DNFs because the car failed. He was lucky to be in the car at all, all be it that he'd been with them since before their car was as all conquering.

I would go as far as to say that Hamilton has no peers, frankly. Any driver that drives in the same team as him is going to be the number 2, even if it's not official. I'm not sure that Bottas isn't almost as good as Alonso, who is well past 30 now and hasn't been in a really decent car for years. Bottas needs to be happy that he is in a car that can win races, and has, already, spoken about how good Hamilton is, and how much better he is than he thought he was.

When Hamilton and Alonso were at McLaren Hamilton finished above the Spaniard in his first season in F1, and he has got loads better since then and Alonso is, in my view, not going to be able to scale the heights he did ten years ago.

Vettle is, obviously, a good driver but I think that even he is not in the same league as Hamilton, despite winning as many Drivers Championships - again in a very dominant car.
  • I like Hamilton, despite him being a bit of a dick sometimes. I don't think it's easy to judge how good he is in the history, cos of the way the cars are in modern F1, but my gut feeling is that he's the best driver on the grid. I'd LOVE to watch a go-karting tournament with the best drivers to find out.

Anyone who is a superstar for the entire adult lives is going to be a bit odd, and that's what strikes me with Lewis. He's basically a manchild. But I can't bring myself to dislike him, he doesn't really do or say anything worthy of hatred.
  • edited November 2017
    JiMMy 85 said:

I like Hamilton, despite him being a bit of a dick sometimes. I don't think it's easy to judge how good he is in the history, cos of the way the cars are in modern F1, but my gut feeling is that he's the best driver on the grid. I'd LOVE to watch a go-karting tournament with the best drivers to find out.

Anyone who is a superstar for the entire adult lives is going to be a bit odd, and that's what strikes me with Lewis. He's basically a manchild. But I can't bring myself to dislike him, he doesn't really do or say anything worthy of hatred.

Spot on....and most of the silly stuff took place when he was much younger and is where some daft judgmental people formed a lasting opinion of him....I find him quite likeable and let’s face it, what young fella with spirit of fun, life and adventure his age wouldn’t want to be him!
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42486085

Kind of sums him up really. Very arrogant/ignorant and lacking in any emotional intelligence whatsoever.

An Ill judged comment maybe....that is all you can glean from this “story”.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42486085

Kind of sums him up really. Very arrogant/ignorant and lacking in any emotional intelligence whatsoever.

An Ill judged comment maybe....that is all you can glean from this “story”.
    The apology won’t help his nephew who will now probably get the piss taken out of him at school.

It was a twattish thing for Hamilton to do. Was he scared it might harm his macho image because a kid was having fun?
  • Sponsored links:

• Its typical of the PC mob, they bang on about free speech but as soon as you say something they don't agree with then they gang up on you.

Same as on here, I agree with some people but not others, it's opinion, live with it.
  • edited December 2017
    In my opinion, there are three great drivers in F1 at the moment - Hamilton, Alonso and Verstappen (Verstappen has not had the learning the other two have had yet due to his lack of experience). Vettel and Ricciardo are very good drivers with Bottas just behind them. I don't know any of them personally but respect their achievements - I don't judge their personalities, just their driving abilities. Hamilton is a great and the mutual respect he and Alonso have for each other says it all for me.
  • As much as I think Lewis Hamilton is a bit of a twat, this non story is ridiculous. Social media has given people a platform to be offended by absolutely everything these days!

Id be shocked if the Media dont have people hired who literary follow celebs on twitter and wait for something like this to report on
  • As much as I think Lewis Hamilton is a bit of a twat, this non story is ridiculous. Social media has given people a platform to be offended by absolutely everything these days!

Up to him if he wants to say it and shouldn't have apologised , however posting it on social media is pretty damn stupid .