Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Ahearne Grant (Joins Crawley on loan - Page 6)

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

A couple of goals for KAG, which perhaps he was a bit fortunate to score.

But he got them because he was decisive .... for him it was all about driving into the box and getting his shot on target.
    And when you do that, the percentages take care of the goals scored.

Nail on head. Taking that risk and driving into the box to get a shot off is exactly how players like Lookman and Holmes scored most of their goals. Our current lot do not seem to have that in their locker.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

But he got them because he was decisive .... for him it was all about driving into the box and getting his shot on target.

Its interesting when you take his accuracy into account...

He's got six goals for Crawley with 75% of his shots going on target
    Magennis has eight goals with 56% of his shots being on target
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Another loanee is Regan Charles-Cook. Given the state of Solly's knees we had Konsa playing out of position as his replacement and barely venturing over half-way, and next week probably Djiksteel in an unfamiliar role. 4-4-2 is never going to work with centre-halves or midfielders as full backs as they will never go on the overlap.

Page and RCC would have been ideal.

Page couldn't play against Fleetwood yesterday, because of concussion rules.

On 8 March 2018, Charles-Cook rejoined Woking on loan until 28 April.

Solly and DaSilva also injured.
    Which is why we played a back four of 4 centrebacks.

Dijksteel, maybe? Or perhaps it's time to play Dijksteel in his correct position as DM?

I am fully aware of this but KR has dismissed 4-4-2 on the basis of it not working for the half hour he tried it yesterday with no proper full back. Solly's injury was highly prefictable but Robbo decided to loan RCC cos he thought he could cover with players out of position. Madness! He also loaned out Edwards who may have been better cover on left than Sarr (or Page who leaves me under-whelmed). He blames injuries but has three useful kids out on loan.
    Someone mentioned that it's almost as though KR doesn't want to revert to 442 because if he does and we start winning games, he'll look a complete moron for not trying it 2 months earlier. I'm actually starting to think there could be some truth in that. His stubbornness to change formation is baffling.
  • Options
    Due to go and watch him at Crawley v Cheltenham next weekend
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Nail on head. Taking that risk and driving into the box to get a shot off is exactly how players like Lookman and Holmes scored most of their goals. Our current lot do not seem to have that in their locker.
    A bit harsh. I'm a great advocate of shooting on sight (Golfie Jnr has taken on the mantle & his favourite "shout" is "shooooooot" everytime we are within 30 yards of the goal) but we have had quite a few shots recently - but most seem to get blocked. We must have had 7 or 8 last Saturday that were blocked (most within a yard from the original shot) and just need one to sneak through with the aid of a big deflection.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

A bit harsh. I'm a great advocate of shooting on sight (Golfie Jnr has taken on the mantle & his favourite "shout" is "shooooooot" everytime we are within 30 yards of the goal) but we have had quite a few shots recently - but most seem to get blocked. We must have had 7 or 8 last Saturday that were blocked (most within a yard from the original shot) and just need one to sneak through with the aid of a big deflection.
    It's harder when you play such slow football. Shots are more likely to be blocked if the opposition have time to get back in numbers.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

True. I was just wondering if the '17 shots, two on target' stat took the blocks into account. If it didn't then you could argue it should be 17 and 7 or 8 on target. Fleetwood did get some excellent blocks in.
    Although we were poor on Saturday, we could easily have nicked it (undeservedly), although I guess they could have as well.
  • Options
    Maybe a little harsh but is the truth that he has he just found his true level? Would love to see him succeed at Charlton - maybe the next manager will use him differently? I know KR was 'bigging' him up just before he went to Crawley saying he was part of the club's future, but then words are cheap. Only time will tell. I may be wrong but is he coming to the end of his contract?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addick05 said:

Maybe a little harsh but is the truth that he has he just found his true level? Would love to see him succeed at Charlton - maybe the next manager will use him differently? I know KR was 'bigging' him up just before he went to Crawley saying he was part of the club's future, but then words are cheap. Only time will tell. I may be wrong but is he coming to the end of his contract?

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/80781/updated-squad-list-1-february-2018/p1

Here till 2019
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

addick05 said:

Give the lad a chance. He's just 20 years old.

His biggest problem was self doubt and lack of confidence - because he got mentally wrecked as a 17 year old thrown in the 1st team before he was ready.

Like most young players, KAG just needed a platform that he was ready for, and an environment that he could develop in.
    The loan at Crawley seems to have provided that - and his present run of goals and growing confidence is making him believe in himself.

Certainly was not running the lad down or criticising his attitude. As I said Oggy, I would love to see the boy do well at Charlton and yes he was thrown in at the deep end. Let's hope he does a Scotty Parker and returns next season (under a new manager) ready to go.

• Options
    Only 20 but also makes a lot of his own chances. Sign of quality. Potentially.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Hasn't he scored 6 goals in 7 matches for Crawley? Suggests he's quite capable of going up a level.
  • Options
    Just scored again
  • Options
    Scored again tonight.
  • Options
    Just scored again.
  • Options
    7 in 8, well not even 8 games yet. Playing as a number 9 tonight. I’ll say it again, going to be an important player for us in League One next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fosu had a decent season in League Two last season and he's been one of our better players this season... just saying.
  • Options
    Sage said:

7 in 8, well not even 8 games yet. Playing as a number 9 tonight. I’ll say it again, going to be an important player for us in League One next season.

I've avoided this thread because I thought it would all be "Robinson is shit for letting him go," and pleasantly surprised that it hasn't been.

Really happy for Karlan. I thought that even in pre-season he was starting to show signs of the promise he showed at such a young age. But he just needed a goal and a run of games. He did finally get a goal, and then got three more over different cup games. But no matter which way you slice it, he was never going to get the run of games for us that he's had with Crawley. And it's been excellent for him. As Sage says, he'll be an important player for us next year, and this loan might be what ends up putting his career back on track.
  • Options
    At this rate he will be their POY!
  • Options
    Weird, Crawley playing Wycombe tonight and after 75 minutes, Wycombe winning 1-3 but Crawley have 64% possession
  • Options

Fosu had a decent season in League Two last season and he's been one of our better players this season... just saying.

Start of the season I saw them both against Northampton and felt that there could have been a right battle between Fosu and KAG as they looked similar.

Fosu got a run of games though and KAG disappeared back into the U23 again sadly
  • Options
    Goal!
    Posted at 33'
    Goal! Crawley Town 1, Wycombe Wanderers 1. Karlan Ahearne-Grant (Crawley Town) right footed shot from outside the box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Jimmy Smith following a set piece situation
  • Options
    Didn’t realise Ceddy Evina was there too
  • Options
    Full time Crawley 2 Wycombe 3, one goal for KAG