Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Ahearne Grant (Joins Crawley on loan - Page 6)

Comments

• Options

Didnt want to start a new thread so maybe @admin could ammend title get rid of ahearne and loan move

Unlike you.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    wmcf123 said:

If we'd had KAG (on this form) and Taylor last season, we'd have gone up in the top 2.

We were 25 points behind Blackburn and had a manager who would've only played one of them.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

He’s been awesome this season. Master stroke by Bowyer to send him to Crawley second half of last year.

Robinson was still here when Grant went on loan...
    Yeah, but ...... Bowyer pulled the strings to make Grant's loan move happen,
    by leaning on his old mate Harry Kewell to take him, who was then Crawley manager.

Credit to Bowyer. But, as already said, Grant seized his opportunity.

• Options

wmcf123 said:

If we'd had KAG (on this form) and Taylor last season, we'd have gone up in the top 2.

Ifs and buts, Grant might not have hit the ground running without the loan. Looks like the loan spell has given him the confidence to do regularly
    True, but he'd have been a lot livelier than "Big Josh". I agree though; it's an arbitrary comment, although it reflects badly on both Robinson's selection and his lack of recognition that you need good strikers to go up.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

wmcf123 said:

wmcf123 said:

Ifs and buts, Grant might not have hit the ground running without the loan. Looks like the loan spell has given him the confidence to do regularly
    True, but he'd have been a lot livelier than "Big Josh". I agree though; it's an arbitrary comment, although it reflects badly on both Robinson's selection and his lack of recognition that you need good strikers to go up.
    Not really a true comparison ..... Grant doesn't hold the ball up or act as a target man like Big Josh, who usually had to graft away alone and isolated against 2 or more CBs.

We've seen this season Karlan 'sitting on the shoulder' of defenders, who can't live with his pace and power when he has space in front of him. Because he's playing centrally with Taylor leading the line, feeding him or drawing defenders away to create space, good clear goal scoring opportunities are regularly coming his way.

Last season, Robinson when he did use him in a 4-2-3-1, played him wide hoping he would cut in - but that meant Karlan had to beat 2 or 3 players in quick succession before shooting from an angle. Too difficult compared with playing him centrally, with often only one defender to power past and shoot.

It's not surprising that Grant and Taylor playing in tandem, are more effective than poor old Magennis having to plough his lonely furrow.

My comparison was largely meant to be between LT and KAG with the magennis or zyro/ Ajose axis that we watched at the end of the season; good side, winning games but with non scoring forwards.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Oggy Red said:

wmcf123 said:

wmcf123 said:

Not really a true comparison ..... Grant doesn't hold the ball up or act as a target man like Big Josh, who usually had to graft away alone and isolated against 2 or more CBs.

We've seen this season Karlan 'sitting on the shoulder' of defenders, who can't live with his pace and power when he has space in front of him. Because he's playing centrally with Taylor leading the line, feeding him or drawing defenders away to create space, good clear goal scoring opportunities are regularly coming his way.

Last season, Robinson when he did use him in a 4-2-3-1, played him wide hoping he would cut in - but that meant Karlan had to beat 2 or 3 players in quick succession before shooting from an angle. Too difficult compared with playing him centrally, with often only one defender to power past and shoot.

It's not surprising that Grant and Taylor playing in tandem, are more effective than poor old Magennis having to plough his lonely furrow.

My comparison was largely meant to be between LT and KAG with the magennis or zyro/ Ajose axis that we watched at the end of the season; good side, winning games but with non scoring forwards.
    Okay, but that wasn't what you said ...... you actually wrote "but he'd have been a lot livelier than "Big Josh", so my comments were a response to that.

• Options

J BLOCK said:

He'll be playing non league within 2 years

Bump. Posted less than 18 months ago and got 24 likes. He could be playing Premier League football in a couple of weeks.

Now everyone is upset that he might be wanting to better himself and further his career.
    It's football, you're not suprised by fickle fan responses are you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love the first few comments on Page 1 ;)
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Bump. Posted less than 18 months ago and got 24 likes. He could be playing Premier League football in a couple of weeks.

Now everyone is upset that he might be wanting to better himself and further his career.
    See Nick Pope and Carl Jenkinson also. There's a reason we're not all Premier League scouts.
  • Options

Excellent performance from Karlan, showing everything we always thought he was capable of producing.
    He looks goal hungry and confident, sort of the opposite of the last few seasons.

I always agree with myself :smile:
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Brilliant bump!

If KG sees it, he'll be off with a 2 finger wave to us!
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Still could... 1 year to go. Lets revisit on the 24th Jan 2020 when he's had a career ending injury.
  • Options
    Some right old cringy comments on here starting from page one.

But it shows you how much Karlan has developed and improved, i hope he stays with us, signs a new contract, and enjoys the ride to the premier league with us, the loan @ Crawley did him the world of good.

• Options
    J BLOCK said:

You sure?

• Options

J BLOCK said:

He'll be lucky. Absolute jank.
    Even funnier than J Blocks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Oggy Red said:

Reminds me of the chance he got at Oxford in the League where it went oh so horribly wrong... Only on this occasion he did everything himself to create the chance whereas the League game saw him being given it on a plate

Maybe he's a bit like young Kevin Lisbie ....... at his best driving forward with the ball and shooting on the run.

What he isn't, is a fox-in-the box.
    Most of his glaring misses are when the ball comes to him 10 yards out - and without momentum, he has to react.
    His goal against Peterborough to secure the draw was fox in the box like or Killer like. He moved quickly over a few yards to beat the defender and finished clinically.

I'm not saying he will develop into Harry Kane or anything but for me he is capable of playing comfortably at this level and in time maybe the Championship.

Sadly the Championship won't be with us of course....
    Happy with that assessment.

Such a shame that he won't grow with us into the player he can be.
  • Options
    Sage said:

He obviously has something about him but not able to show it on a match day. He needs to stick to being up front, he might have the physical qualities to play out wide but I don’t think he has the technical and tactical qualities to do it.

He was thrown in well too early and exposed too much, that’s hindered his development and it’s tough for young player from there on. He needs to score a goal but he can only do that by getting in between the goal posts, in those positions and not out wide doing things which aren’t his strength.

If we can get in Leon Best and another striker in January, send Dodoo back, we should also send KAG out to a League Two side and play up front for the rest of the season. If this was to happen and he fails to impress at all, and hopefully we go up this season, I can see him being sold to a newly promoted League Two side or sent out on loan for a full season with it being his last chance.

It’s a shame as he is still very young and has a lot to learn and improve, there is something there that is for sure, but as Bowyer said on Thursday night, if you’re at the age of 20/21 and not playing first team football, you probably aren’t going to make it at the level you’re at.

This was my post back in November 2017.

Not too bad if I do say so myself.

Thankfully he was sent out on loan, played up front and grabbed that opportunity to impress with both hands and further to that, carried on the form for us.

I really hope he stays, and I do think that he will, until the summer at least.
  • Options
    I was actually annoyed when he was sent out on loan last season. He had just started scoring for us and was on a run of 4 or 5 goals over the last few games or something?
  • Options
    I’m fully aware of the ‘ANDY Reid’ scenario whereby someone leaves and ruins a promotion bid. But this is charlton and league 1. And RD. I can’t imagine many clubs refusing money for a soon to be out of contract player. The biggest failing here is letting it run down after a good spell at Crawley.
  • Options
    The much respected & lauded ( and well deserved indeed !) Seb Lewis has posted on Face Book tonight that he is concerned about the possibility of Karlan leaving before the window closes, after hearing Bow's Press Conference today.

I haven't heard what the gaffer had to say but presume others have.

Should we be concerned or is Seb worrying unduly ?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Here you go @Fanny Fanackapan , Clive posted this on the rumours thread:

Charlton boss Lee Bowyer answered numerous questions on the future of Karlan Grant in his pre-Peterborough press conference this morning.

The 21-year-old, who has netted 14 goals this season, has been linked with a move away from the club to teams in the Premier League, Scottish Premier League and Championship.

When asked if he thought Grant would go, Bowyer responded: “It’s a possibility, I’m a realist and I have to be honest. Of course there is a possibility, he’s a good player. He’s a young player scoring goals. Like I said last week, he’s brought attention to himself and rightly so. He’s improved a lot in a short space of time, so of course there is going to be clubs looking at him.

“I hope he doesn’t go, I’ve said that to him on more than one occasion so we’ll see what happens. Hopefully he is still here on February 1st.”

With strike partner Lyle Taylor suspended for three games, Grant’s potential departure would leave the Addicks without their top two goalscorers. Bowyer said: “With Lyle it’s unfortunate with the timing regarding the window and people interested in Karlan. It would hurt us our two strikers, who have got nearly 30 goals between them, might not be playing. Then it would be down to us to try and bring in bodies to replace Karlan if he was to go but I’m confident that he’ll stay.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c49c90237d25/bowyer-on-the-future-of-karlan-grant

My view is it could go either way especially with the Douchbag being so unpredictable but in Bowyer we trust and he is hopeful he will stay.
  • Options
    Thanks, RC.

I've now managed to catch up on the threads /posts I'd missed earlier and read Bow's words on the link to the OS.

Guess Seb was basically echoing our, mainly unspoken , fears that we might lose one of our main strikers within a few days of the window closing and with minimal time to find a suitable replacement.

In fact, I believe he posted a couple of days ago that he's always hated the January window .....

Roll on February 1st.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Thanks, RC.

I've now managed to catch up on the threads /posts I'd missed earlier and read Bow's words on the link to the OS.

Guess Seb was basically echoing our, mainly unspoken , fears that we might lose one of our main strikers within a few days of the window closing and with minimal time to find a suitable replacement.

In fact, I believe he posted a couple of days ago that he's always hated the January window .....

Roll on February 1st.

Red Henry however reckoned that one of the stiker targets Smyth at QPR was a replacement for Grant :worried: and Mo Eisa at Bristol City is also fancied however if both were to sign that would make 6 loans and we could only use 5 on a matchday.
  • Options
    Sunderland will want a ready made replacement for Maja. Why would Grant not want to move, for more money on a longer contract than he has with us, to a bigger club in front of crowds of 30,000 plus every week?