Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Ahearne Grant (Joins Crawley on loan - Page 6)

Comments

• Options

Sunderland will want a ready made replacement for Maja. Why would Grant not want to move, for more money on a longer contract than he has with us, to a bigger club in front of crowds of 30,000 plus every week?

Cause its in fckin Sunderland for a start mate.
    To fans it's a way of life but, sadly, nowadays, it's as much a job and possible route to riches for footballers as it is purely a business for most club owners.
  • Options
    Um if I had limited family ties and was offered teo to three times what I’m in now for a better run firm with a huge support, decent beaches on the doorstep and some lovely lasses, I’d have a think to myself about priorities.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Sunderland will want a ready made replacement for Maja. Why would Grant not want to move, for more money on a longer contract than he has with us, to a bigger club in front of crowds of 30,000 plus every week?

Because Sunderland. It’s a shithole miles from the nearest town that isn’t a shitthole.
  • Options

Because Sunderland. It’s a shithole miles from the nearest town that isn’t a shitthole.
    The nearest place to Sunderland that isn't a shithole...... London?
  • Options

Roland has clearly backed LB this season, when he’s wanted quality players he’s got them, the team is challenging for the automatics and that has a positive impact on the value and attractiveness of the club to any potential buyers. I very much doubt that there is going to be any pressure from RD to sell Grant. Karlan and his agent are going to be key and moving on in this transfer window instead of playing out the last 4 months of the season is just plain stupid imo. I can’t see him going. I hope I’m right but if I’m not it won’t stop us now.

He could break his leg in April.
    If a premiership team comes in for him or his offered double , treble his money I'd be surprised if he stays.
  • Options

Let’s not pretend Charlton is a glittering oasis, parts of it and surrounding areas are absolutely vile.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Roland has clearly backed LB this season, when he’s wanted quality players he’s got them, the team is challenging for the automatics and that has a positive impact on the value and attractiveness of the club to any potential buyers. I very much doubt that there is going to be any pressure from RD to sell Grant. Karlan and his agent are going to be key and moving on in this transfer window instead of playing out the last 4 months of the season is just plain stupid imo. I can’t see him going. I hope I’m right but if I’m not it won’t stop us now.

If a premiership team comes in for him or his offered double , treble his money I'd be surprised if he stays.
    Out of interest, how many players in the top 4 divisions have broken a leg this season ? Must be a lot if it’s something to factor in for selling the opportunity of going for 30 goals in a season for 4 months of extra money between Feb and May to share with an agent and HMRC .
  • Options

Edinburghs pretty nice. Leeds is alright in my experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I keep hearing that he could go for free in the summer. Is that true? Hes U23, wouldn't Charlton be entitled to some form of compensation if he left before then? I have no idea how that compares to what the club might receive in a transfer fee. I know in Ireland we have this argument all the time, should we sell our star 21/22 year olds with 6 months left or wait til their contract is up and take the compensation. We're at the whims of the compensation rules then of course and it depends on the level they go to.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

I keep hearing that he could go for free in the summer. Is that true? Hes U23, wouldn't Charlton be entitled to some form of compensation if he left before then? I have no idea how that compares to what the club might receive in a transfer fee. I know in Ireland we have this argument all the time, should we sell our star 21/22 year olds with 6 months left or wait til their contract is up and take the compensation. We're at the whims of the compensation rules then of course and it depends on the level they go to.

I think there are pre set amounts these days so don’t think it would go to tribunal. It’s a lot less than 2m. Someone suggested 350k elsewhere.
  • Options
    Karlan might want to wait until the summer. Although Huddersfield are in the PL they won't be for long and I can't quite see them doing as well in the Championship next season. Basically Karlan should stay with us and fire us to promotion
  • Options

el-pietro said:

I think there are pre set amounts these days so don’t think it would go to tribunal. It’s a lot less than 2m. Someone suggested 350k elsewhere.
    It is matched to academy grading isn't it? So if RD had finished the academy work, in a few years we'd be getting a fair bit more if any of our young talent left. He could have at least done one thing right
  • Options
    edited January 2019

el-pietro said:

That sounds about right to me. So not nothing, but probably not enough to dissuade RD from selling him in order to hold onto him for a promotion run.
  • Options

Whitley Bay, had some good weekends up there
  • Options

clb74 said:

Out of interest, how many players in the top 4 divisions have broken a leg this season ? Must be a lot if it’s something to factor in for selling the opportunity of going for 30 goals in a season for 4 months of extra money between Feb and May to share with an agent and HMRC .
    Or, conversely, he stays and doesn't score between now and the end of the season and consequently misses out on that big move? He did, after all, go two years and 45 games without scoring so it's not as if it hasn't happened previously is it?
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Homesick are we?

I’d go with Edinburgh or Newcastle.

Also Whitburn, of course.
  • Options
    It’ll come down to Karlan himself. If someone offers a couple of million the club will take it, RD won’t see further than £2m being 3 - 4 months losses.

Karlan I don’t believe would want to head far north, but if a London club ala Brentford came in for him with a decent contact I think he’ll take it.

If he’s confident in his ability he’ll wait until the summer as for the low amount of compensation a new club would have to pay he’ll get a better package.

Money talks even more than ever for footballers these days, how many of us wouldn’t move companies if someone offered to treble your money?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Let’s not pretend Charlton is a glittering oasis, parts of it and surrounding areas are absolutely vile.
    Which is why I said London, not Charlton.
    JamesSeed said:

Homesick are we?
    Not a chance.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

JamesSeed said:

Homesick are we?
    Not a chance.
    Do you have a local football team to follow? (As a second team of course).
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Homesick are we?
    Not a chance.
    Do you have a local football team to follow? (As a second team of course).
    No, there isn't a football team in the entire province, which has annoyed me ever since I moved here.

Honghe and Yuxi both have HUGE tobacco companies and could easily bankroll a successful team, there have been rumours about it happening a few times, but nothing has ever materialised.
  • Options
    I think Olly should put together a showreel of Grant bloopers to send to Huddersfield. Against Accrington he struggled to get the ball under control in the first half, and later missed a tap in (from a Grant cross) with an air shot.
    Add to those the three missed one-on-ones from the previous match and job done!
  • Options
    Where has the Sunderland link to Grant come from? Another invention on here?
  • Options
    Be careful out there Karlan ...

Charlton - West Ham - Huddersfield - Milton Keynes - Charlton - Godoy Cruz - Pafos - ?
  • Options
    Just walked past the training ground on Friday morning, watching the squad warm up there was no Karlan Grant . Looks like Roland’s January sales have started. Of course there may be an innocent reason. With only one loan place left, even if Grant has gone Duchatelet will have to get 2 strikers in to improve our position. Not looking good.
  • Options
    If any offer comes in for Grant he's gone.
  • Options

I agree, The Rat has history and I think this transfer window will define our season.
    Bowyer has (somehow) worked miracles with our squad, but you watch Ratty unravel it all just for a (relative) few quid.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I agree, The Rat has history and I think this transfer window will define our season.
    Bowyer has (somehow) worked miracles with our squad, but you watch Ratty unravel it all just for a (relative) few quid.
    I'll be over the moon if the squad remains unchanged by Feb 1st but I can't see it happening. As you suggest, RD's history is our strongest indicator here.