Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football annoyances

Comments

• A derby (as in the horse race) was originally any sporting contest. So, a local derby is just a local sporting contest. However, a derby has become a local contest by default. Well, I thought it was interesting.
  • edited December 2017

The Premier League anthem, and how we had to cut short the RRR to play it before matches

Obviously not a problem for us at the moment...

Does the Premier League Anthem still exist?

Not heard it on SKY when the players line up before the handshake for years
  • The Premier League anthem, and how we had to cut short the RRR to play it before matches

Obviously not a problem for us at the moment...

Does the Premier League Anthem still exist?

Not heard it on SKY when the players line up before the handshake for years
    Yeah. They've changed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2V01xLYKC4
  • All the Brighton 'fans' that have suddenly surfaced since their promotion to the Premier League
  • All the Brighton 'fans' that have suddenly surfaced since their promotion to the Premier League

this a lot of the time brighton are a bit like us were a lot of people "local" team, ive got mates that had st when in the prem but openly support united, liverpool, arsenal but go to charlton to watch some live football and like to see us do well.

Its the opposite that annoys me

Fans who turn up in for a local FA Cup tie (even 1st Round matches etc.) or they turn up when X club reaches the Premier League.

The moment the FA Cup journey or when relegation is confirmed from the Premier League they bugger off again.

Same with Leicester; it got to the point where people were struggling to get tickets ahead of their last few games yet there were loads of empty seats on Saturday
  • People leaving matches early. I just don't get it. Against Peterborough, most of the people around me watched a dreadful game for an hour and a half in the cold and missed the only decent bit. Last minute equalisers/ winners are some of the best memories I have of football.
  • Players that have there first name on the back of their shirts.

Dele Alli for example.

Just noticed Jordon Ibe has his first name as well.

TBF Alli has a reason

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11675/10533658/dele-alli-reveals-personal-reason-for-tottenham-shirt-name-change

Brighton's biggest rise in attendances was probably when they got the new stadium, as their crowds were generally good in the Championship. I knew a couple of guys who acted like they didn't know they had a local team until the stadium was opened. They supported Newcastle and Man U, but are now ever-present home and away. Don't mind that to be honest, as at least they're supporting their local team now.
  • People leaving matches early. I just don't get it. Against Peterborough, most of the people around me watched a dreadful game for an hour and a half in the cold and missed the only decent bit. Last minute equalisers/ winners are some of the best memories I have of football.

I never leave early for that reason, but understand on a tuesday night 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go, people would decide to leave so they can travel home, i:e trains or a long journey with work/school the next day
  • Sponsored links:

• Vol au vent scoffers

i am guilty of this and if i would of stayed for the 2-2 would of made me get in at nearly 11.30 instead of 10.20 a 5am wake up does need to be factored in and it was also fucking freezing.
  • The newer terms that have crept in over the last few years.

"They play progressive football" - What? They pass the ball and shoot?
  • Players that have there first name on the back of their shirts.

Dele Alli for example.

Why the fuck can Javier Hernandez have Chicarito on his shirt?

Brighton's biggest rise in attendances was probably when they got the new stadium, as their crowds were generally good in the Championship. I knew a couple of guys who acted like they didn't know they had a local team until the stadium was opened. They supported Newcastle and Man U, but are now ever-present home and away. Don't mind that to be honest, as at least they're supporting their local team now.
    Add people that change teams to the list!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Players that have there first name on the back of their shirts.

Dele Alli for example.

Guess its the same for many Brazilians though

Ronaldo | Cafu | Romario | Pele

None of those names are the respective player Surnames... and for Pele / Cafu etc. they're nicknames rather than being any part of their name

It’s just as well Peterborough’s defence left early though :smiley:
  • And it's been his dream to play for Stoke since he was born.
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

Players that have there first name on the back of their shirts.

Dele Alli for example.

Guess its the same for many Brazilians though

Ronaldo | Cafu | Romario | Pele

None of those names are the respective player Surnames... and for Pele / Cafu etc. they're nicknames rather than being any part of their name
    True, but at least their excuse is stupidly long names (Edson Arantes do Nascimento, Marcos Evangelista de Morais and Romario is his first name) that need simplifying. And it's tradition.

Hernandez isn't Brazillian, and his name isn't hard to figure out. In fact, his nickname is far trickier.

I'm guilty of this, did'nt come to one game at the Valley last season as was boycotting last season but have bought a membership at Brighton this season and have been to all but two home games so far. I have been to two games at the Valley this season as couldn't stay away for two years. Issue I have is that noone wants to come to Charlton with me anymore so go to Brighton for football with mates and and come to Charlton as they're my team.
  • SMW28 said:

All the Brighton 'fans' that have suddenly surfaced since their promotion to the Premier League

I'm guilty of this, did'nt come to one game at the Valley last season as was boycotting last season but have bought a membership at Brighton this season and have been to all but two home games so far. I have been to two games at the Valley this season as couldn't stay away for two years. Issue I have is that noone wants to come to Charlton with me anymore so go to Brighton for football with mates and and come to Charlton as they're my team.
    if it suits you then fair enough, i personally get a couple of chelsea and arsenal tickets for free most seasons relative and freinds season ticket spares, but i never pay for them as for me in a strange way i would rather a fan of that club went, i usually get the pre match pints in etc as a way of a thankyou. but wouldn't pay to see another team certainly not in a high english leage (pl,champ).
  • Sky's Deadline Day nonsense and all the yellow tie wankery that goes with it.

Jim White pretending to read texts with inside knowledge does my nut.
  • SMW28 said:

All the Brighton 'fans' that have suddenly surfaced since their promotion to the Premier League

No problem with people that just go to watch Brighton play (its much more enjoyable than the shit we have to endure!) i'm talking about maybe 5/6 people who i know full well either don't care about football or supported another team. And now all of a sudden they're Brighton through and through and really enjoy telling me how much better they are than Charlton
  • SMW28 said:

if it suits you then fair enough, i personally get a couple of chelsea and arsenal tickets for free most seasons relative and freinds season ticket spares, but i never pay for them as for me in a strange way i would rather a fan of that club went, i usually get the pre match pints in etc as a way of a thankyou. but wouldn't pay to see another team certainly not in a high english leage (pl,champ).
    The thing is for me that I am from Sussex and all my family support Brighton and I picked Charlton because my school and football team used to take us to games when we were in the Premier League and so I am a kind of guilty of only being a fan because we were successful at the time. The problem I have now is the choice of going to Charlton by myself or to Brighton with company as my friends have no interest when they don't support the team and can watch higher standard of football. However I would never change my team and relish every single time I make it to a game but for me it's about having a group of people to go to a day of football something I've never had before this season. (The loudest I've cheered at a Brighton game this season is when we came from 2 down to equalise against Peterborough)

However I agree with Pelling1993 that I am sick of these so called Brighton fans who love to tell me that they're great and that I support a shit team but yet they all supported one of the top four when Brighton were in the lower leagues.
  • Exaggerated injuries and reactions to fouls. Actually find this more annoying than full on diving.
    Referees only giving fouls if players go down. Discourages honest play where a player tries to stay on his feet and encourages the exaggerated reactions.
  • get a season ticket for Brighton - use the park & ride & spend 30 mins on a bus getting there & then wait an hour in the freezing cold for a bus back. No Thanks - I'd rather poke my own eyes out.
  • iaitch said:

And it's been his dream to play for Stoke since he was born.

yes! With some quote like

"It has been the dream since I was a boy, to play for the red and white stripes of the potters. The glory of the champions of Staffordshire, I will make great memories"

I find it hard to hate anyone who hates palarce as much as i do.