Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    I had a long term £50.00 bet of villa promotion Luton promotion and charlton top six. I cashed out a month ago for 300. Best cash out ever. I truly hope there is a takeover on the cards because without it we won't spend another penny on a actual transfer fee again and the future is bleak very bleak.
  • Options
    Yeah, to give Blackburn some credit they defended well, and their keeper was extremely commanding - he came out and collected high balls like a Premiership keeper
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Most if not all of our problems stem from Robinson. Now his weaknesses are really starting to show.

In the summer he decided that his limited transfer budget would be solely spent on midfield players. He brought. In Marshall, Reeves, Clarke and Fosu.

Importantly despite virtually every fan knowing that we were chronically short of Strikers, Robinson decided that Magennis and Lee. Novak would be our forwards.
    However at 5.00pm on transfer deadline day he allows Novak to leave and join Scunthorpe, without having a replacement for him in place.
    At 10.00pm he signs Dodoo who must rank as one of the worst players ever to pull on a Charlton shirt,
    We are in crisis and cannot score goals but Dodoo is so bad that hasn’t appeared on the pitch for weeks.

Now for Reeves.
    Today 1 week from Christmas is the first time this season that Reeves has completed 90 minutes on the pitch. What a waste of money he has been.

A lack of a plan B, I could go on and on.

In my opinion Robinson has taken this team as far as he can and although I don’t like to keep changing managers iI think it is now time for Robinson to go.

With this clown in charge we are fucked!

This all day long. I wasn't at today's game & don't follow it on twitter, snapnumpty or the matchthread as I had the family over so can't say how we did. However, only an idiot believes that you will get a different outcome from the same input, and I now concur that KR is an idiot.

I will reserve the rest of my rantings to the special "how to f**k up a season" thread.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Hopefully in the next defeat he can just say “we were good”
  • Options
    The game ‘highlights’ on Newsnow are not good viewing. Two terrible goals conceded. Awful Charlton finishing & Blackburn missed a real sitter as well.
  • Options
    The only bright news is Afka said we had decent numbers (for us ) up there ...
    How many was it please ??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    KR is only a couple of games away from the "cab for Karl" mid table obscuritiy scenario. Post that, who gives a shit who the new manager is .
  • Options
    Oh yeah, frustrated by Magennis.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    My rating of Pearce turned into a rant (soz LL). It's not that I think he's a terrible center half, I just don't think he's at all suited to the way we play:

Pearce: 4.5 - Some caveats: 1) I am not in the dressing room with him, or on the pitch with him or on the training ground with him, and that makes it almost impossible to measure his leadership skills, 2) this was his first start after ~10 weeks out and he looked rusty.

All that said, I thought he was very poor in the first half. I think he gets off far too easily sometimes because we know he'll stick his head in and match an attacker for physicality. The problem is, he's poor with the ball at his feet, he's slow, he tends to drop too deep making us look disjointed, he gives away silly free kicks for holding attackers, and despite being a stick your head in at all costs, he's not as good in the air as Bauer or Sarr.

The free kick he gave away for the goal was ridiculous from such an experienced player. The booking he got was clearly him trying to make amends and he got dragged way out of position and made a silly lunging challenge near the touchline when he just had to stand the man up. And his distribution is poor. How much help would it have been to use Sarr's passing to try to break them down in the second half? Instead we had Pearce doing those little chipped balls forward which, even if they find Best/Magennis, we're not a team set up to play long back and win knock downs.

He wants to defend deep, defend in his own box backs against the wall style where his pace doesn't get exposed. That does not lend itself to how we play. He's not comfortable on the ball, which is very problematic given how we look to build from the back. And when you look at the second half, how much better did we look playing through JFC instead of lumping it long?

I'm sorry, for the way we play I think he's our fourth best center half. He may be great with the bantz, he may be pointy and shouty, but we look a worse side with him in it.

::Ducks and covers::
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Crap performance first half. Loads of possession second half but created nothing. Maginnes on the left from the 27th minute was just pathetic. Waste of time waste of money. Fuck off robbo fuckoff of Belgians fuckoff Charlton.

Your be at Wigan then.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Crap performance first half. Loads of possession second half but created nothing. Maginnes on the left from the 27th minute was just pathetic. Waste of time waste of money. Fuck off robbo fuckoff of Belgians fuckoff Charlton.

Yep. That's it in a nutshell.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Nicholas said:

Your be at Wigan then.
    Errrrrr nah
  • Options

Groundhog day again.
    Unless we sign someone to convert the chances we are creating nothing will change

What chances?
    Spot on.
    And all this picking on Magennis (or any other individual player) is completely missing the point in my opinion. we've got a group of lost souls with a clueless chirpy likable clown of a manager who does not even have a plan A let alone B. We are so easy to play against...
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    First half uninspiring, but second half showed some fight - perhaps a half time bollocking?

Silly free kick to give away for goal number one, without that I don't think we'd have been too troubled. But we need to start taking our own chances, I mean I know he was offside but Best even failed to bury his shot from two yards :neutral:

Some tidy play but with nothing at the end of it, its just frustrating. How Big Mag played the full 90 minutes I'll never know. Best looked lively but clearly not got a full match in him. Marshall was ineffective. JFC lost his head and seemed symptomatic of a general loss of spirit after their (our?) goal. Pearce looked inexperienced. Solly too slow. Reeves showed some flashes but should have scored. Jay our best player which says a lot.

Still holding out hope for an upturn in form but optimism is starting to feel like delusion!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I was there and still in Blackburn.

Thought we probably edged the game without threatening enough.

Two clear, clear chances to score. Reeves should have scored in the first half and someone should have put in Reeves' rebound in the second.

2nd half was a case of just knocking the ball around the Blackburn players. The crowd were getting pretty restless but I think Blackburn knew we wouldn't break them down so sat back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

My rating of Pearce turned into a rant (soz LL). It's not that I think he's a terrible center half, I just don't think he's at all suited to the way we play:

Pearce: 4.5 - Some caveats: 1) I am not in the dressing room with him, or on the pitch with him or on the training ground with him, and that makes it almost impossible to measure his leadership skills, 2) this was his first start after ~10 weeks out and he looked rusty.

All that said, I thought he was very poor in the first half. I think he gets off far too easily sometimes because we know he'll stick his head in and match an attacker for physicality. The problem is, he's poor with the ball at his feet, he's slow, he tends to drop too deep making us look disjointed, he gives away silly free kicks for holding attackers, and despite being a stick your head in at all costs, he's not as good in the air as Bauer or Sarr.

The free kick he gave away for the goal was ridiculous from such an experienced player. The booking he got was clearly him trying to make amends and he got dragged way out of position and made a silly lunging challenge near the touchline when he just had to stand the man up. And his distribution is poor. How much help would it have been to use Sarr's passing to try to break them down in the second half? Instead we had Pearce doing those little chipped balls forward which, even if they find Best/Magennis, we're not a team set up to play long back and win knock downs.

He wants to defend deep, defend in his own box backs against the wall style where his pace doesn't get exposed. That does not lend itself to how we play. He's not comfortable on the ball, which is very problematic given how we look to build from the back. And when you look at the second half, how much better did we look playing through JFC instead of lumping it long?

I'm sorry, for the way we play I think he's our fourth best center half. He may be great with the bantz, he may be pointy and shouty, but we look a worse side with him in it.

::Ducks and covers::

I like Sarr, and Bauer's good on his day, but overall I think Pearce is our best defender - he's had a good season, and we've looked worse without him. I think the stats show that we seem to get better results when he plays. But who the best pairing is I'm not sure.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Pearce is the ideal CB for L1 and was captain of Wigan when they won this league at a canter a few seasons ago and has captained Leeds, Bournemouth and Pompey. I quite like the fact that he's not a ball playing CB, he hits it long looking for the target man it's the quickest route to goal and may force Robinson to use this tactic more. Sarr and Konsa don't do well together and are the least experienced of the four CBs excluding Lennon. Bauer and Pearce are our best pairing IMO and I was glad to see the old warhorse back cajoling and organising things today.
  • Options

I was there and still in Blackburn.

Thought we probably edged the game without threatening enough.

Two clear, clear chances to score. Reeves should have scored in the first half and someone should have put in Reeves' rebound in the second.

2nd half was a case of just knocking the ball around the Blackburn players. The crowd were getting pretty restless but I think Blackburn knew we wouldn't break them down so sat back.

Agree with that (it was Best the ball fell to), but not that we edged the game. We had a spell in the second half, but that was it really.
  • Options
    Another loss as to be expected afraid we can get into a real rut now, with games coming up thick and fast!.
  • Options
    Only seen Robinson the once at city addicks and came across as a nice chap but every game “ we were the better side “
  • Options
    We just can't score. Our midfield has very little cutting edge and plays across the field way too much. The transformation in the team over the past month or so is shocking. In September/October we were looking very good. What has happened? The takeover news affecting Robbo?

I do agree about Magennis. He really was bad today and has been looking that way for a few games now.
  • Options

Only seen Robinson the once at city addicks and came across as a nice chap but every game “ we were the better side “

I have been told that he MUST get promotion or he's out the door come the end of the season - if not before. That's a lot of pressure to put on one man, especially with the injuries we have wracked up and the fact that we do not have a recognised striker. Even if we get one or two in in January it may not be enough. I'll stick my neck out (and I hope I'm wrong) but I see us finishing no higher than 10th. And as we all know, nothing will really change until RD sells up, even with new owners nothing is guaranteed. In nearly 50 years following the Addicks and with all the highs and lows I can honestly say the RD period is the worst, most depressing era I can remember. This idiot has done his best to ruin the club and he may well have done that permanently.
  • Options

Back home around 1am after 16 hours away - tired, slightly p*ssed but happy after spending quality time with Marilyn, Oli and ....roll of drums...the lovely Oz ! Oh, and of course, the fragrant Mr F ! And great to meet up with Red Chaser too !

But enough about the fun ! THIS is Charlton, and today, as of late, there was little to to bring smiles to the faces of the travelling faithful.

The first half was fairly dire from both teams but Rovers managed to go in with a goal to their name courtesy of their former striker and boy, did that please the home fans ! Another enforced substitution reduced Robbo's options later in the game but I have to agree with those Lifers that felt Big Josh struggled to make any impact today. It saddens me to add that Marshall is also an ongoing disappointment in my book....but with KAG the only viable replacement on the bench, one of them had to play the full 90 minutes. Such is the hand that our manager has been dealt by Roland.

The second half was a definite improvement with Reeves showing glimpses of why he was so sought after, but the final ball & the overall quality did faint justice to the raised level of energy injected by the lads. 270 minutes without a goal is clearly affecting confidence in the shooting department & without the spark that our Rickeee can ignite, the opportunities were reduced further. Injuries are indeed playing a cruel part in our season but from the beginning we knew only too well that the squad was thread bare and so it is proving. Roland has SO much to answer for.

The second goal was barely deserved and 1-0 would have been a fairer result IMHO but the game was lost by that time. Blackburn didn't blow me away and their fans seemed pretty edgy as we began to press for an equaliser but they needn't have worried. Alas, there was no Fairy Godmother to wave her wand and conjure up a strike worthy of beating their 'keeper.

Call me a pessimist but hand on heart, I cannot see a top six place for us come the end of the season unless something very special happens to turn things around. Whether that be pertinent additions to the squad in January ( but who? ) or even a new manager who might use a system more suited to the players , who knows. Everything feels in a state of flux at the moment both on & off the pitch and it mustn't be allowed to continue.

For everyone's sake, just sell our famous football club NOW, Roland ...

...and give Charlton Athletic a new start in a new year.

You know it makes sense.

''keeper.'

Hats off.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Back home around 1am after 16 hours away - tired, slightly p*ssed but happy after spending quality time with Marilyn, Oli and ....roll of drums...the lovely Oz ! Oh, and of course, the fragrant Mr F ! And great to meet up with Red Chaser too !

But enough about the fun ! THIS is Charlton, and today, as of late, there was little to to bring smiles to the faces of the travelling faithful.

The first half was fairly dire from both teams but Rovers managed to go in with a goal to their name courtesy of their former striker and boy, did that please the home fans ! Another enforced substitution reduced Robbo's options later in the game but I have to agree with those Lifers that felt Big Josh struggled to make any impact today. It saddens me to add that Marshall is also an ongoing disappointment in my book....but with KAG the only viable replacement on the bench, one of them had to play the full 90 minutes. Such is the hand that our manager has been dealt by Roland.

The second half was a definite improvement with Reeves showing glimpses of why he was so sought after, but the final ball & the overall quality did faint justice to the raised level of energy injected by the lads. 270 minutes without a goal is clearly affecting confidence in the shooting department & without the spark that our Rickeee can ignite, the opportunities were reduced further. Injuries are indeed playing a cruel part in our season but from the beginning we knew only too well that the squad was thread bare and so it is proving. Roland has SO much to answer for.

The second goal was barely deserved and 1-0 would have been a fairer result IMHO but the game was lost by that time. Blackburn didn't blow me away and their fans seemed pretty edgy as we began to press for an equaliser but they needn't have worried. Alas, there was no Fairy Godmother to wave her wand and conjure up a strike worthy of beating their 'keeper.

Call me a pessimist but hand on heart, I cannot see a top six place for us come the end of the season unless something very special happens to turn things around. Whether that be pertinent additions to the squad in January ( but who? ) or even a new manager who might use a system more suited to the players , who knows. Everything feels in a state of flux at the moment both on & off the pitch and it mustn't be allowed to continue.

For everyone's sake, just sell our famous football club NOW, Roland ...

...and give Charlton Athletic a new start in a new year.

You know it makes sense.

''keeper.'

Hats off.
    Perfectly excusable for a tired out Fanny :wink: