Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn - Post Match Views

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017
    RedChaser said:

JamesSeed said:

Back home around 1am after 16 hours away - tired, slightly p*ssed but happy after spending quality time with Marilyn, Oli and ....roll of drums...the lovely Oz ! Oh, and of course, the fragrant Mr F ! And great to meet up with Red Chaser too !

But enough about the fun ! THIS is Charlton, and today, as of late, there was little to to bring smiles to the faces of the travelling faithful.

The first half was fairly dire from both teams but Rovers managed to go in with a goal to their name courtesy of their former striker and boy, did that please the home fans ! Another enforced substitution reduced Robbo's options later in the game but I have to agree with those Lifers that felt Big Josh struggled to make any impact today. It saddens me to add that Marshall is also an ongoing disappointment in my book....but with KAG the only viable replacement on the bench, one of them had to play the full 90 minutes. Such is the hand that our manager has been dealt by Roland.

The second half was a definite improvement with Reeves showing glimpses of why he was so sought after, but the final ball & the overall quality did faint justice to the raised level of energy injected by the lads. 270 minutes without a goal is clearly affecting confidence in the shooting department & without the spark that our Rickeee can ignite, the opportunities were reduced further. Injuries are indeed playing a cruel part in our season but from the beginning we knew only too well that the squad was thread bare and so it is proving. Roland has SO much to answer for.

The second goal was barely deserved and 1-0 would have been a fairer result IMHO but the game was lost by that time. Blackburn didn't blow me away and their fans seemed pretty edgy as we began to press for an equaliser but they needn't have worried. Alas, there was no Fairy Godmother to wave her wand and conjure up a strike worthy of beating their 'keeper.

Call me a pessimist but hand on heart, I cannot see a top six place for us come the end of the season unless something very special happens to turn things around. Whether that be pertinent additions to the squad in January ( but who? ) or even a new manager who might use a system more suited to the players , who knows. Everything feels in a state of flux at the moment both on & off the pitch and it mustn't be allowed to continue.

For everyone's sake, just sell our famous football club NOW, Roland ...

...and give Charlton Athletic a new start in a new year.

You know it makes sense.

''keeper.'

Hats off.
    Perfectly excusable for a tired out Fanny :wink:
    No, 'keeper is perfect. But I always forget to add the apostrophe. Fanny rocks.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    JamesSeed said:

RedChaser said:

JamesSeed said:

Back home around 1am after 16 hours away - tired, slightly p*ssed but happy after spending quality time with Marilyn, Oli and ....roll of drums...the lovely Oz ! Oh, and of course, the fragrant Mr F ! And great to meet up with Red Chaser too !

But enough about the fun ! THIS is Charlton, and today, as of late, there was little to to bring smiles to the faces of the travelling faithful.

The first half was fairly dire from both teams but Rovers managed to go in with a goal to their name courtesy of their former striker and boy, did that please the home fans ! Another enforced substitution reduced Robbo's options later in the game but I have to agree with those Lifers that felt Big Josh struggled to make any impact today. It saddens me to add that Marshall is also an ongoing disappointment in my book....but with KAG the only viable replacement on the bench, one of them had to play the full 90 minutes. Such is the hand that our manager has been dealt by Roland.

The second half was a definite improvement with Reeves showing glimpses of why he was so sought after, but the final ball & the overall quality did faint justice to the raised level of energy injected by the lads. 270 minutes without a goal is clearly affecting confidence in the shooting department & without the spark that our Rickeee can ignite, the opportunities were reduced further. Injuries are indeed playing a cruel part in our season but from the beginning we knew only too well that the squad was thread bare and so it is proving. Roland has SO much to answer for.

The second goal was barely deserved and 1-0 would have been a fairer result IMHO but the game was lost by that time. Blackburn didn't blow me away and their fans seemed pretty edgy as we began to press for an equaliser but they needn't have worried. Alas, there was no Fairy Godmother to wave her wand and conjure up a strike worthy of beating their 'keeper.

Call me a pessimist but hand on heart, I cannot see a top six place for us come the end of the season unless something very special happens to turn things around. Whether that be pertinent additions to the squad in January ( but who? ) or even a new manager who might use a system more suited to the players , who knows. Everything feels in a state of flux at the moment both on & off the pitch and it mustn't be allowed to continue.

For everyone's sake, just sell our famous football club NOW, Roland ...

...and give Charlton Athletic a new start in a new year.

You know it makes sense.

''keeper.'

Hats off.
    Perfectly excusable for a tired out Fanny :wink:
    No, 'keeper is perfect. But I always for get to add the apostrophe. Fanny rocks.
    English was never my strong point James I was more of a figures man however did you forget to let the for and get join forces? :wink:
  • Options
    Must plan another away trip. Haven't had a bad one yet. I'm like a lucky-ish mascot. I even managed to get a chant of 'Jimmy Seed's red & white army' going at Rochdale. (Hint hint @vff .)
    Perhaps that's where we went wrong at Blackburn. No one invoked the spirit of Jimmy Seed.
  • Options
    My boss is a Blackburn fan, he reckons a draw would have been a fair result. And in retrospect, as bad as it was to lose that match, and as frustrated as I was last night, truthfully I don't think we looked much worse than Blackburn, even with our injuries. But we lack a cutting, ruthless edge, and we just can't finish our chances. I was harsh on the team last night, but we didn't get battered and if we'd come away with the point (as could have been the case) I don't think we'd see that performance so negatively, especially given the injury list.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Wigan could be very awkward at this time of year for a lot of people but it's a shorter distance for me than yesterday so I'll probably end up going. Other than that it's Bury 13 Jan or Blackpool 27 Jan, the lights, donkey rides, kiss me quick hats and candy floss...............oh and a few beers to wash that down :wink:
  • Options
    Thanks to all that were there with their reports
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    cabbles said:

How's the head, you dried out yet mate :wink:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

How's the head, you dried out yet mate :wink:
    I thought my penance to the forum after calling them all mugs was to come on here and carry on AFKA’s bold highlighting of those that were there
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I only need a hint mate, I've been going straight into bold mode for a while now but it's ok don't thank me :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Listened to the commentary where they asked the same question as I have.. what has happened to Marshall? At Bradford I heard rave reviews, him bombing down the wing and crossing. Since being with us hes done none of that. is he under orders by robinson or is he just a bit naff.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Listened to the commentary where they asked the same question as I have.. what has happened to Marshall? At Bradford I heard rave reviews, him bombing down the wing and crossing. Since being with us hes done none of that. is he under orders by robinson or is he just a bit naff.

Whether it's the early season injury and subsequent lay off he had or just a confidence thing, I don't know but he seems frozen over the ball while sizing up his marker instead of what you might expect a winger to do which is knock it past and put the after burners on! However he's not getting any younger. This shouldn't affect his ability to put in a decent cross though and that's been sadly lacking as well. So at the moment we have a winger who can't beat his man or put in a decent cross. Hopefully he'll turn it round before too much longer. To be honest I'd rather have Waggy or Callum Harriott at the moment :wink:
  • Options
    All of the above, plus a sloppy touch, plus diving. Was a truly abject display
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Whether it's the early season injury and subsequent lay off he had or just a confidence thing, I don't know but he seems frozen over the ball while sizing up his marker instead of what you might expect a winger to do which is knock it past and put the after burners on! However he's not getting any younger. This shouldn't affect his ability to put in a decent cross though and that's been sadly lacking as well. So at the moment we have a winger who can't beat his man or put in a decent cross. Hopefully he'll turn it round before too much longer. To be honest I'd rather have Waggy or Callum Harriott at the moment :wink:
    I think the recent injury has affected the pace which is and has been his main strength throughout his career.

Without that pace he has little to offer.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I don’t think Marshall is as bad as people are saying. It’s just he came burdened with the reputation as the league’s best winger and then picked up a serious injury.
    He rarely loses the ball, he track back, and he does actually put in a lot of crosses. Our problem is we never get enough players in the box unless we’re a goal down with ten minutes remaining.
    Yes, he’s disappointed, but hopefully he’ll improve. Let’s not get on his back, because that is never likely to help.
  • Options
    Looks like Blackburn had one shot on target and managed to win 2-0 ... Only Charlton.
  • Options
    Two OGs and a penalty conceded in the last two games . It reminds me of when we kept having players sent off -you can't be successful with that degree of self destructiveness.
  • Options
    At the game

Some of the comments in regard to the actual game yesterday i think are slightly harsh. First half we were quite flat, Best did cause a few problems and set up Reeves for a chance he really should have scored. Second half we were much the better side despite not having many clear cut chances. We do play with a nice zip at times without ever really looking like scoring, a Blackburn fan i was talking to on the train home thought they were awful second half and that we deserved a point.

Stand out performers were Da Silva, Aribo and Pearce imo. Magennis is woefully out of form, i'd drop him for Best next game.

Their keeper was excellent, claimed absolutely everything. We must beat Blackpool next week who are also in poor form, will Fosu be back?
  • Options

At the game

Some of the comments in regard to the actual game yesterday i think are slightly harsh. First half we were quite flat, Best did cause a few problems and set up Reeves for a chance he really should have scored. Second half we were much the better side despite not having many clear cut chances. We do play with a nice zip at times without ever really looking like scoring, a Blackburn fan i was talking to on the train home thought they were awful second half and that we deserved a point.

Stand out performers were Da Silva, Aribo and Pearce imo. Magennis is woefully out of form, i'd drop him for Best next game.

Their keeper was excellent, claimed absolutely everything. We must beat Blackpool next week who are also in poor form, will Fosu be back?

No.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we need to play 2 natural goal scorers, this system of one forward is boring and negative, let opponents worry about us rather than stetting up just to stifle their system, yes we always have good possession stats that's because we just pass the ball along the back, when we do try to go forward the build up is so slow they always have 10 behind the ball. We have one main route to goal and that is Ricky Holmes running at defenders. if the Manager thinks that this style of football is the way forward then that really worries me. The dropping in attendances is telling the story.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    Couldn't really find the article amongst the clickbait. The only bit I saw said Everton had sent their scout to watch Ezri at Ewood Park.

I get the feeling Karl knows (or believes) that the only way he'll get the funds to buy a couple of players in the January window is if he sells Konsa.

• Options
    Everton want Konza so he can sit next to Lookman on the bench. Jeez.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Chaz Hill said:
    Couldn't really find the article amongst the clickbait. The only bit I saw said Everton had sent their scout to watch Ezri at Ewood Park.

I get the feeling Karl knows (or believes) that the only way he'll get the funds to buy a couple of players in the January window is if he sells Konsa.

Looks like Liverpool will be the place to go to watch our “Premier stars of the future” :-)
  • Options
    ''All we are saying is give us a goal''

Preferably in the opponents net!
    (With thanks to John Lennon - Give peace a chance).
  • Options
    Read through the Blackburn match thread. They seem like a level headed bunch. Was very complimentary about us, a few said we were the best side they had played at home, that they got a bit lucky, that we dominated the midfield (second half especially) and if we weren't so toothless up front it could have been a different result and also said their goalie was man of the match.

So not all bad by the sounds of things, also someone on there said that we had an immense left footed player in midfield or something along those lines. Assume he is on about Jake?

• Options
    Could have been Aribo
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:

JamesSeed said:

Chaz Hill said:

Looks like Liverpool will be the place to go to watch our “Premier stars of the future” :-)
    LBC had a man on the other day singing the virtues of moving to Liverpool, perhaps he is onto something