Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recent downturn - General thoughts

Interested in people’s general thoughts on what might behind this recent downturn. Am I right in thinking that if it wasn’t for the last minute madness v Peterborough, this would have been five first team defeats in a row including the FA Cup?

That would have seemed inconceivable if you had suggested that 6 weeks ago.

What’s happening?

Comments

• Options
    It seems as though everything has gone tits up since that Milton Keynes penalty...

Reckon had it stayed 2-1 this run wouldnt be happening as thats the last game I can say that we played like we have this season

Every game since we've played like the Charlton side from the last few seasons!!
  • Options
    The take-over is playing on players minds and unsettling them, anyone believe this? no nor do I
  • Options

I blame CARD !!!

I’m sure someone will mate, selfishly disrupting lapels with rosettes.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    In fact, we got 15 points from the first 6 games. Since then we've got 20 from 15 (5-5-5) and the downturn has already lasted for one third of a season. So it's not really a downturn, it's our true level.
  • Options

Injuries to key players, other teams working us out, lack of options from the bench and lack of variation from the manager.

Overpraised too when things were going well.

Plus CARD protests and takeover lies from VOTV

Pravda
  • Options

teams have started to work us out and robinson has no plan b. simple as that

Pretty much this. So predictable.
  • Options
    Hopefully the bad run means that KR will be given funds he needs and Matt Godden will be in his way to The Valley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

teams have started to work us out and robinson has no plan b. simple as that

This.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Injuries to key players, other teams working us out, lack of options from the bench and lack of variation from the manager.

Overpraised too when things were going well.

Plus CARD protests and takeover lies from VOTV

Pravda
    Prefer Gucci
  • Options
    Injuries are definitely playing their part, combined with the fact its not been one or two players yet double that!!

I know its simple but part of me wonders (I actually hope) if Robinson should get two TVs, on one screen play the tapes from the early victories against Northampton and Fleetwood and then play the tapes from the more recent games and slowly work out whats been going on because despite no plan B there is a difference in attitude from the players all of a sudden

Its a horrible clique yet they do need to go back to basics and stop worrying about the fancy tricks and passes
  • Options

Hopefully the bad run means that KR will be given funds he needs and Matt Godden will be in his way to The Valley

One lower league striker won’t be our saviour
  • Options
    Half decent first eleven but no back- up
    Bit one dimensional
    Injuries & being sussed out

If KR gets the bullet or not might be another takeover pointer.....
  • Options

The absence of Fosu, as his speed and directness was giving defenders real problems. We've not won a league match since he was injured

A defence/team that can't keep clean sheets - we had 3 clean sheets in 4 matches in October, and none since

Holmes and Magennis losing form, and not enough cover in the squad, especially for Magennis

Other teams sussing out our tactics and system?

Yup, it’s this for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CatAddick said:

Half decent first eleven but no back- up
    Bit one dimensional
    Injuries & being sussed out

If KR gets the bullet or not might be another takeover pointer.....

Not sure that's entirely true, we have 4 or 5 decent CBs, 5 potentially decent players to fill the 3 attacking midfield positions. It'd only up front where we are really weak, and to an extent in midfield, where we never replaced Novak and Crofts.
  • Options
    Need to practice hitting barn doors.
  • Options

The absence of Fosu, as his speed and directness was giving defenders real problems. We've not won a league match since he was injured

A defence/team that can't keep clean sheets - we had 3 clean sheets in 4 matches in October, and none since

Holmes and Magennis losing form, and not enough cover in the squad, especially for Magennis

Other teams sussing out our tactics and system?

This. And add to missing Fosu the fact that we're desperately missing Kashi as well.

I don't think it's one thing. I think it's a combination of all the factors that people have brought up. All teams go through bad patches. The question is can we turn it around, or does it become a slide.
  • Options
    Not enough goals in the team. I don't think Reeves and Marshall scored in the league yet. We don't win many penalties or threaten from set pieces to give us another way of scoring.

Not strong enough defensively to grind out those 1-0 wins.

Injuries haven't helped but every club gets them.

Robinson has one way of playing. Looks great when things are going well and we always try to play good football.

A mixture of reasons, I don't think it'll be solved just by swapping Magennis for a natural goalscorer. It can be argued his movement and instinct to get into the right positions isn't good enough. Yet as a team it doesn't feel to me that we create enough chances where you expect the player to score.
  • Options
    It's weird. It's almost as though we have an owner who promises at the start of the season to invest in a promotion-winning squad, then for whatever reason decides against it. I did think for a while that maybe it's because he doesn't care remotely about our performance on the pitch, but I'm sure that can't be true.

It must all be part of some master plan that us mere mortals can't be expected to understand. After all, I hear he doesn't do failure, so by default this must in fact be success! And seeing as we seem to be developing such a consistent pattern of a positive start to the season followed by a low slow decline into the bottom half of the table, and since our dear leader is so good at everything he turns his hand to, my only conclusion can be that this is all part of the plan.

Oh, and anything that is going wrong is all CARD's fault of course.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Lack of a cutting edge.
    If we were scoring goals, then we'd still be picking up points.

Blackburn scored from both their 2 shots on target (including the own goal).
    Charlton had 5 shots on target - no goals again.

At Scunthorpe a few weeks ago, we missed good chances, before being punished by 2 wonder goals in 3 minutes.

But as has been said by many throughout the season, once teams park the bus we really struggle to break them down.
    Teams have worked us out.

If it's proving difficult to score from fewer chances created, then really there has to be a re-think about formation.
    It's dominating possession, but there is little end product - and we're losing matches. It's not working.

Back to the drawing board, Karl.

• Options
    Scoham said:

I don't think it'll be solved just by swapping Magennis for a natural goalscorer. It can be argued his movement and instinct to get into the right positions isn't good enough. Yet as a team it doesn't feel to me that we create enough chances where you expect the player to score.

Agree with this... Countless times the Striker on the pitch can get into the right position yet countless times this season; Holmes | Marshall | Fosu etc. will all prefer to shoot instead of passing into the box - There was a stat at some stage which said Charlton have had more shots outside the box than any other club, the problem is though, that dont = goals!!

We're not creating enough decent clear cut chances and we're too quick to waste the good work when chances are half created
  • Options
    This system/style of play, I don't think it's that bad it just needs better players, I also think it would also work better in a higher league, and then you would really need better players.
  • Options

Scoham said:

I don't think it'll be solved just by swapping Magennis for a natural goalscorer. It can be argued his movement and instinct to get into the right positions isn't good enough. Yet as a team it doesn't feel to me that we create enough chances where you expect the player to score.

Agree with this... Countless times the Striker on the pitch can get into the right position yet countless times this season; Holmes | Marshall | Fosu etc. will all prefer to shoot instead of passing into the box - There was a stat at some stage which said Charlton have had more shots outside the box than any other club, the problem is though, that dont = goals!!

We're not creating enough decent clear cut chances and we're too quick to waste the good work when chances are half created
    It might if those supposed shots got near enough to work the opposition goalkeeper.

Best's header against Portsmouth was the only save their keeper had to make in the second half.
  • Options
    I have been told in good faith that the evil pixies have returned. I am unable to reveal my source so please, do not ask