Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recent downturn - General thoughts

Comments

• Options

This system/style of play, I don't think it's that bad it just needs better players,

But in League One we'll not be able to attract better players than we have already.

We need to examine how we can adapt the formation to get the best out of the players we have already.

• Options
    insufficient investment or ambition from the owner combined with us all realising we are not as good as we hoped we were.

There are not enough goals in the team and signing a journeyman, loanee or another lightweight injury prone midfielder will not be the answer.
  • Options

Think the 'Sussed out' stuff is a bit too basic to be honest

One thing that has hit home. Letting Lee Novak go with no replacement lined up / through the door looks utterly ridiculous, amateurish at best

And will ultimately cost us a playoff place.

• Options
    Same as I said in the post-match thread.

... no movement and too predictable. And boring...all the possession but again, did nothing with it....We're really struggling to create chances because the build up is too slow, the support isn't there and we overplay it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Perhaps we were flattering to deceive earlier in the season. On our day we were playing some great football, but a thin squad was leaving cracks that were being papered over, with a couple of Holmes wonder goals raising the feelgood factor. But as pitches get heavier, injuries start accumulating, and other sides get more physical, we look like fading away.

Our real problem is that Mr Duchatelet sees Charlton as a more of a social club than a football team, and I'm afraid if he can't sell Charlton our decline may be long, slow and painful.

I think James has it here - over-performing earlier in the season. Surely there can be no doubters, come anotherJanuary trading deficit, that Duchatelet has zero interest or ambition and he isn't going to increase the debt mountain by investing in playing staff.
  • Options
    Robinson is a good coach but he cannot adapt within a game. Poor tactically. He could do with a bit of experience as an assistant rather than Bowyer and Jackson.
  • Options

I blame CARD !!!

I’m sure someone will mate, selfishly disrupting labels with the ronettes.
    I need to think about getting some glasses as this is how I first read this and it made no sense....
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    It's been said already. The problem simply is not enough goals in the team. If one or both of Fosu/Holmes are injured were screwed.

The only player who looked like scoring today was Reeves.....who actually played the best I've seen him play in Charlton shirt.

I don't think Magennis and Best have the confidence to score at the moment. We could play for 500 minutes and the current team would do well to bag more than one or two. Whereas Blackburn were direct, we seem to need to have 20 tippy tappy passes before we even get near their box.
  • Options
    Injuries to Fosu and Clarke along with a dip in form for Holmes has really impacted what was already a team struggling to score goals.

Think at the other end we have been caught out with drop in form of players like Solly and bad mistakes that mean we are chasing games.

Robinson is one dimensional and when we are chasing games he does little to alter it so if we concede first we are screwed. He needs to be more proactive in changing things around. Yes we are short of players but getting rid of Novak when we didn't have anyone lined up was ridiculous and not giving aribo a game earlier in season was too.

The big slice of wages in reeves hasn't paid off yet either
  • Options

Hopefully the bad run means that KR will be given funds he needs and Matt Godden will be in his way to The Valley

Maybe not but this guy is highly thought about amongst the Stevenage fans I know. He could be another Mcloud but he also could be another Clive M .
  • Options
    We were told that come the transfer window if we were challenging investment would be made so we are just making sure we are not.
  • Options

Interested in people’s general thoughts on what might behind this recent downturn. Am I right in thinking that if it wasn’t for the last minute madness v Peterborough, this would have been five first team defeats in a row including the FA Cup?

That would have seemed inconceivable if you had suggested that 6 weeks ago.

What’s happening?

Bromley addicks meeting AFKA blame JJ telling me we've not let a goal in in 20 games.
  • Options
    The play has been poor for a while now. I think teams have simply started nullify the likes of Holmes, injuries haven’t helped, and Magennis needs more support. There’s a lot for Robbo to do to address this, and it would be helped by additions in Jan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:

We are not as good as we think we are. We are basically a top half of the table League one side. Not good enough, in my eyes to finish in a promotion or play off place. I think we will stay that way with Duchatelet in charge.

This
  • Options
    The drop in form was predictable with going into the season with one senior striker. Add in that Magennis had some intense World Cup games, it is no surprise that he is fatigued & not playing so well.

The absence of a another striker also makes it difficult for Robinson to play a different strategy (although it is questionable whether, he would or not). Decent managers know how to play 4231. It is important to be able to do something different. Charlton have been found out.
  • Options
    Not really a downturn - we've not looked that good at any stage. Mediocrity beckons again.
  • Options
    We are a mid table league one side . Unless serious money is spent in the window we will remain mid table . Depressing times for Charlton fans , it really is .
  • Options
    Robinson is not the messiah the team is woefully short in depth as far back as Walsall away we showed we can be a shower of shite proper poor, the swagger has gone and unless Robinson was a the messiah or a miracle man then this team will end up no higher than 8th and no lower than 15th

• Options

Hopefully the bad run means that KR will be given funds he needs and Matt Godden will be in his way to The Valley

and be out injured
  • Options
    Bit of investment in the transfer window and we'll be....OH...