Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recent downturn - General thoughts

Comments

• Options
    When you say "downturn" do you mean "same old"?
  • Options
    We continually underestimate the opposition, and how canny some of their managers can be with limited resources.
    Unless you can construct a team that is plainly so far out ahead, then you need to make sure you know the battleground very well indeed.
    For Karl he must make what he thinks theoretically adapt successfully in this division. At the moment we are not getting it right between imposing our style (which needs a fully fit first team anyway) and adapting to circumstances.
    Although I am naturally a pessimist there is still a chance to do something this season but we need a bit of reconfiguration.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Only one word to answer AFKA's original question.

Duchatelet.

Everything poor, lacking or indeed criminally insane ultimately points back to one man, either directly or indirectly.

End of.

Don't agree fanny
    Robinson's brought a few players in this season and I'm sure we would of improved Ricky s wages a little bit
    Dream on.
  • Options
    5 matches in 2 weeks currently i cant see us getting much of out them at all.
  • Options
    Lee Novak scored 2 goals in about 30 league games for Charlton. I'm not sure he's especially relevant when talking about our lack of goals. He didn't want to be here.
  • Options
    Same old - fatigue, being figured out, injuries, no plan B, squad being too thin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now I would take 7pts out of the next 12 available
  • Options

clb74 said:

Only one word to answer AFKA's original question.

Duchatelet.

Everything poor, lacking or indeed criminally insane ultimately points back to one man, either directly or indirectly.

End of.

Don't agree fanny
    Robinson's brought a few players in this season and I'm sure we would of improved Ricky s wages a little bit
    Dream on.
    So Robinson was told to move on nearly all the strikers and told to bring in Marshall, fosu, Clarke, Reeves and retain Holmes then.

From September I've been blaming the Belgians also about having no strikers and that'll cost us points and we might just miss out on promotion because of it.

But would the lack of strikers been all down to the Belgians.
    Not that Novak was the answer but if his decided he wants out at the last minute would it be Karl's or the Belgians fault.
    I would of told him no chance but like others have said if Novak Don t want to be here do we want him here.
    Also if we are going to continue with 1 up front and father Christmas brings us at least 1 more striker can we keep the striker on the bench happy.

At present we are in a play off place a month ago I posted the next four away games will be difficult from Scunthorpe to Wigan game.
    Might even become reality that we take 0 from 12 points from the 4.
    We've not amassed the points at home over the last 4 games what I was hoping for either.
    For me the downturn would be after the bury away game in January.
  • Options
    Agree with much of what's been said. Would add, we need leadership and guts on the pitch. Maybe a Jackson with legs?
  • Options

blackpool h - 1-1 draw
    southend a - 1-0 loss
    wigan a - shock 1 -0 win
    gills h - 2-2 draw
    oldham h - 2-1 win

id take that if offered.
  • Options
    6th place in the league 1 for the past five seasons required less than 75 points we need at least 40 points from the remaining 25games to have a shout.
  • Options

blackpool h - 1-1 draw
    southend a - 1-0 loss
    wigan a - shock 1 -0 win
    gills h - 2-2 draw
    oldham h - 2-1 win

id take that if offered.
    I wouldn't. May have to but after the poor run we've had we need to be winning ALL our home games, especially when playing teams in the bottom half (and Blackpool are on a worse run that us - lost their last 3 games) & Southend is winnable too. To make up lost ground we need to be win them all apart from the Wigan game. 12 points is a must but at a push I'll take 10 points
  • Options
    The Valley needed to be a fortress, it hasn't been. Our inability to win against average teams that come and park the bus will likely be our downfall unless something drastically changes in terms of tactics / personnel available for selection. :disappointed:
  • Options

blackpool h - 1-1 draw
    southend a - 1-0 loss
    wigan a - shock 1 -0 win
    gills h - 2-2 draw
    oldham h - 2-1 win

id take that if offered.
    I wouldn't. May have to but after the poor run we've had we need to be winning ALL our home games, especially when playing teams in the bottom half (and Blackpool are on a worse run that us - lost their last 3 games) & Southend is winnable too. To make up lost ground we need to be win them all apart from the Wigan game. 12 points is a must but at a push I'll take 10 points
    Yep need 10 from next 15.
    Then need to start winning away.
  • Options
    Injuries and lightweight up front, which we've known about from the start of the season. That just about sums it up for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Build up play is too slow, teams sitting deep knowing we just pass the ball sideways until eventually someone puts in a cross to Mag who because of the slow build up will have at least 2 men challenging him for the ball. Its amazing we dont have a plan B. No options on the bench doesnt help, and injuries to key in form players have crippled us.
    Must be soo easy to prepare a team to face us. All away teams sit deep and hit us on the break, and at league one level they know they will get a few chances. I dont think the lack of a striker is the problem as we are not creating chances.
  • Options

blackpool h - 1-1 draw
    southend a - 1-0 loss
    wigan a - shock 1 -0 win
    gills h - 2-2 draw
    oldham h - 2-1 win

id take that if offered.
    cant see us suddenly turning it opn tbh
  • Options
    I can actually see a loss coming Saturday and KR being sacked at some point in December. Let me stess this is not what I want. I like KR, he has his faults but every manager does, but he has been sold a pup and now he has been less vocal in defence of KR and RD I can honestly see him gone by the new year.
  • Options

I can actually see a loss coming Saturday and KR being sacked at some point in December. Let me stess this is not what I want. I like KR, he has his faults but every manager does, but he has been sold a pup and now he has been less vocal in defence of KR and RD I can honestly see him gone by the new year.

If Roland does bin him, that makes me think we won't be having new owners soon.
  • Options

If Roland does bin him, that makes me think we won't be having new owners soon.
    If they bin KR that is me gone from holding a very thin thread I'm hanging on this current minute.

• Options
    Crap owner
    Mediocre manager
    Underperforming players
    Disillusioned supporters

Really looking forward to Saturday.
  • Options

Interested in people’s general thoughts on what might behind this recent downturn. ?

1) Deep seated contagion from 4 years of the regime.
    2) Significant underfunding of this year's squad, leaving it short of quality and cover in many areas.
    3) Half wit manager with half a plan and no consideration for the suitability of the players available.

the fact that it manifests as a downturn is largely due to some unexpected good fortune earlier on:

Fosu acquired as a squad player, turned out to be more than adequate and ready to go in August
    Kashi returned every bit the player we saw 2 years ago, so slipped under roly's radar - for now
    Sarr returned 10 times the player anyone dared hope he could ever be, also slipping under the buffoon's sensors. The squad was probably 3 players better than expected, while still being 5 or 6 players light to sustain a top 6 season.
    Injuries have arrived in a glut giving Gobby's empty head even more to muddle.

Essentially we've been batting above our average for three months but the chickens are coming home to roost at the same time the cow's come home. From December through to probably March, Charlton will splutter and stumble down to its truer level of 16th to 18th. Unless something significant changes in the next 5 weeks... Much as we would like it otherwise, repeating actions in expectation of different results is the very definition of roly's policy for Charlton. The fact that Gobby might be the 2nd best manager of roly's toxic tenure, is feint praise indeed.

• Options

Interested in people’s general thoughts on what might behind this recent downturn. ?

1) Deep seated contagion from 4 years of the regime.
    2) Significant underfunding of this year's squad, leaving it short of quality and cover in many areas.
    3) Half wit manager with half a plan and no consideration for the suitability of the players available.

the fact that it manifests as a downturn is largely due to some unexpected good fortune earlier on:

Fosu acquired as a squad player, turned out to be more than adequate and ready to go in August
    Kashi returned every bit the player we saw 2 years ago, so slipped under roly's radar - for now
    Sarr returned 10 times the player anyone dared hope he could ever be, also slipping under the buffoon's sensors. The squad was probably 3 players better than expected, while still being 5 or 6 players light to sustain a top 6 season.
    Injuries have arrived in a glut giving Gobby's empty head even more to muddle.

Essentially we've been batting above our average for three months but the chickens are coming home to roost at the same time the cow's come home. From December through to probably March, Charlton will splutter and stumble down to its truer level of 16th to 18th. Unless something significant changes in the next 5 weeks... Much as we would like it otherwise, repeating actions in expectation of different results is the very definition of roly's policy for Charlton. The fact that Gobby might be the 2nd best manager of roly's toxic tenure, is feint praise indeed.

We get it. He's gobby. How we laughed.
  • Options
    It’s been said before, but it all starts with Roland.

A disinterested owner who cares little about on field performance will influence those who report directly to him. If he doesn’t care about results, they won’t. As a result there is no urgency in fielding a strong team. Manager and players will also feed of that, and you get into cycles like this where nobody really cares that results are not good, and nobody is motivated to improve matters.
  • Options
    How we can still be 6th and this poor really shows how awful League One football is.