Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recent downturn - General thoughts

Comments

• Options

teams have started to work us out and robinson has no plan b. simple as that

Happened with other managers during this regime, very difficult to have a plan B with no squad depth. We can't play any formation that involves two strikers for example, because we've got only one half-decent striker.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Duchatelet.

He's cast a general malaise over the entire club. It won't go until he's gone.

Nope, I don't think he has enough interest or input.
    Meire. Her giggling ineptitude has spread down the ranks. I fear a bottom half finish and the usual platitudes at the end of the season.
  • Options

teams have started to work us out and robinson has no plan b. simple as that

Happened with other managers during this regime, very difficult to have a plan B with no squad depth. We can't play any formation that involves two strikers for example, because we've got only one half-decent striker.
    Yet when KAG started scoring he was dropped and played wide.

Can't even stick Reeco Hackett-fairchild on the bench because they have to play Dodoo despite him never getting on.
  • Options

This video reminds me of supporting Charlton. You turn up full of hope and expectation ... and then ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBBK2hjcPuA

Haha ...... I don't know about being denied orgasm, they looked long past their sell-by date for that.

But proper Charlton,

• Options

Macronate said:

Duchatelet.

Meire. Her giggling ineptitude has spread down the ranks. I fear a bottom half finish and the usual platitudes at the end of the season.
    He appointed Meire.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Maybe our tactics are too obvious and therefore easy to negate, sit on Holmes, or watch Magennis and that about does it. Unless the other 'striker' or winger has something abou then it's game over. Then confidence drops, it shows in Holmes as he starts over hitting crosses or snatching at shots. We don't have a true leader in midfield either it seems, that can consistently boss a game. Finally we also have missed Pearce's leadership in defence, and have started conceding loads of goals. Overall confidence has gradually slipped and we are tending to play overly deep defensive keep ball. This is Robinsons team and his formation, he bought into Duche's small squad thing and although he's likeable he doesn't seem to be more than an average manager at this level.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Macronate said:

Duchatelet.

He appointed Meire.
    I don't think he appointed her as so much as gave the club to her.
  • Options
    PWR

Too many issues to mention - but the main ones are:

No strikers
    No strikers
    No strikers

too much tippy-tappy football
    No plan B
    Not really a plan A

We weren't that special at the start of the season - won most of the games by the odd goal & not dominated a single team. The only time we've scored more than 3 (Northampton) 2 goals came in injury time. I'm not expecting to play & score like Man City, but any team looking to be in at least the top 6 should be putting a few teams to bed by the 75 min mark.

As I said, I could go on, and on, and on, and on...........but I'll leave that to KR who believes that we were the better team today. Someone tell the f**ker that we lost !!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Trying to think of a name that sums up the shitness of P***** and Millwall winning, England getting destroyed in the cricket and us losing, again, on the same day.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Trying to think of a name that sums up the shitness of P***** and Millwall winning, England getting destroyed in the cricket and us losing, again, on the same day.

A Fraeye Day
  • Options
    This is the worst leauge one in 5 years. In the window no team will spend more than £200,000. Wigan and Blackburn don't need to, and Shrewsbury etc have no money. We will continue to slide and finish 8th -10th. Starting to get to the point, that I actually just don't care. Thanks Roland, thanks
    Karl ( an yes I do think he is to blame) you have destroyed 55 years of supporting charlton for me.

• Options

This is the worst leauge one in 5 years. In the window no team will spend more than £200,000. Wigan and Blackburn don't need to, and Shrewsbury etc have no money. We will continue to slide and finish 8th -10th. Starting to get to the point, that I actually just don't care. Thanks Roland, thanks
    Karl ( an yes I do think he is to blame) you have destroyed 55 years of supporting charlton for me.

I’m normally an optimist and yet, tonight, I can’t disagree with this.
  • Options

Robinson is a good coach but he cannot adapt within a game. Poor tactically. He could do with a bit of experience as an assistant rather than Bowyer and Jackson.

I've never rated him, he managed a team that finished below us the season we went down from the championship and we were shite that season.
  • Options

Think the 'Sussed out' stuff is a bit too basic to be honest

One thing that has hit home. Letting Lee Novak go with no replacement lined up / through the door looks utterly ridiculous, amateurish at best

Why'd Novak go though.
    Robinson's only ever going to play one up front
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    clb74 said:

One thing that has hit home. Letting Lee Novak go with no replacement lined up / through the door looks utterly ridiculous, amateurish at best

Why'd Novak go though.
    Wanted to get back up North didn't he? Sometimes players are let go on compassionate grounds especially if his head would have been all over the place had he stayed and no use to man or beast.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

clb74 said:

Why'd Novak go though.
    Wanted to get back up North didn't he? Sometimes players are let go on compassionate grounds especially if his head would have been all over the place had he stayed and no use to man or beast.
    So it was nothing to do with him playing 2nd fiddle to Josh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    The players could do with letting their hair down, a trip to Newcastle might be in order!
  • Options
    clb74 said:

RedChaser said:

clb74 said:

Why'd Novak go though.
    So it was nothing to do with him playing 2nd fiddle to Josh.
    Possibly but that has never been given as the main reason as far as I can remember and his chances of getting a move were better based on personal reasons. I seem to recall that he may have cut short his contact for a not so lucrative 'free transfer' unless I dreamt it :open_mouth:
  • Options
    We were punching above our weight when we were 3rd. Winning by an odd goal, been very few convincing victories.
  • Options
    Don't forget Novak couldn't score either.
  • Options

Don't forget Novak couldn't score either.

Charltonised, he's bagged 4 with 1 assist for Scunny;

Lee Novak
    252 mins per goal

1009 mins played
    4 Goals scored

1 Assists
  • Options
    I've heard the "we have no plan b" tag line so many times over the years. It's such lazy analysis and unoriginal. It also means nothing.

We've just lost some very creative members of the first team, and lost the defensive solidity of Bauer and Pearce (the latter who played well today).
  • Options
    I think fans at the start of the season were a little guilty of thinking our players were better than they are. We are an ok team for League One who struggle to compete against the better teams we have generally been playing recently.

We also have no striker of any real ability.
  • Options

I've heard the "we have no plan b" tag line so many times over the years. It's such lazy analysis and unoriginal. It also means nothing.

We've just lost some very creative members of the first team, and lost the defensive solidity of Bauer and Pearce (the latter who played well today).

Same could be said about "paper thin squad". Reeves, Marshall and Best should be capable at this level. Reeves looked a good player today (watching the stream) but should have done better with his chances.
  • Options
    Can anyone see us getting anything out of the next 4 games? Blackpool could be one of those games we expect to win but won't. We never seem to do anything at Southend. Wigan away - forget it. Gillingham seem to have replaced Millwall as a bogey team we can't beat. Hard to see the end of the slump.
  • Options
    Four massive games for Robinson-the two homes should generate 6 points and I'd hope for at least a point at Southend. Looking at the posts here and on the match thread, there's some stick coming his way sooner rather than later (has he not got us playing the way we should anymore?) and things have to turn around asap.

Although he has limitations I hope KR stays for as long as Roland does as I dread to think who he would replace him with particularly whilst he's looking to sell up.