Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Museum Items

1252627282931»

Comments

• Options
    Guy popped in yesterday and gave us this. He said his workmates know he's a fan so if they come across anything Charlton related when clearing houses they put it his way 

"Andy Nelson's Red and White Army"

Great history.

The rattle would have been at least 35 years old (and possibly 60 year old) by the time it was adapted for Andy Nelson...
  • Options
    Items taken off the dressing room wall by Andy Soloman during the exodus years

Team notice for players telling them who's playing, when they are leaving and what to wear.

Kids, ask your granddad what the initials mean.

Signed by "Lenny" Lawrence

• Options
    Security notice

• Options
    Who ya gonna call?

Internal phone list.

• Options
    Kitman's checklist

Whisky?

• Options
    Security notice

... or for any signs taken off the wall lol. Love these.
  • Options

Team notice for players telling them who's playing, when they are leaving and what to wear.

We played away at Leeds a couple of games before we left the Valley. 2-1 win
  • Options

Taken off the Dressing room wall during exodus years?
    This was the away game, doesn’t make sense
  • Options
    Travelled up on the Friday before the game
  • Options
    I’m probably overthinking it, but my point being, we weren’t in exodus at the time, so I can only assume it was left on the wall for the next 5 games before we left the Valley?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:
    I’m probably overthinking it, but my point being, we weren’t in exodus at the time, so I can only assume it was left on the wall for the next 5 games before we left the Valley?
    Assume so
  • Options
    Kitman's checklist

Whisky?

Back in the day I seem to remember Ray Treacy used to rub whisky into his legs pre match maybe it caught on with this squad.
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    Kitman's checklist

Whisky?

Back in the day I seem to remember Ray Treacy used to rub whisky into his legs pre match maybe it caught on with this squad.
    That would be my excuse too.
  • Options
    Guy popped in yesterday and gave us this. He said his workmates know he's a fan so if they come across anything Charlton related when clearing houses they put it his way 

I found out by chance the other day that football rattles were used to produce a warning/assistance noise (think policeman's whistle) by nightwatchmen.  Presumably they were adopted for football supporter use later?
    Here's a photo You can see the rattle tucked under his diagonal belt:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

I found out by chance the other day that football rattles were used to produce a warning/assistance noise (think policeman's whistle) by nightwatchmen.  Presumably they were adopted for football supporter use later?

Away games were rough in the old days.

Most of the post-war rattles were repurposed Air Raid Wardens rattles
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

That bloke is only 17, those were hard days.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    cafcfan said:

Are those his real fingers?🫤
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    cafcfan said:

Talking of fingers, you should give the museum your hat!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 26
    PopIcon said:
    cafcfan said:

Blimey they even had photo-shop back in them days too…🤔

• Options
    Sorry to miss you @Solidgone

That was me getting in the lift as you got out.

The badges are a real talking point and it's a great photo.

We have a few programmes donated yesterday, mainly premier league stuff but found a 1947 cup final programme and a 1946 final ticket buried in amongst them so worth the sesrch. Also a signed Carl Leaburn "procard"
  • Options
    I went for the first time before Stevenage. Was superb, miles better than I had expected to be honest and certainly MILES better than the game!

Would highly recommend everyone to go. 
  • Options
    Sadly, some of our donations come following the death of life long Addicks.

After spreading his ashes at the Valley memorial garden on Wednesday, the family of David Emerson dropped off some rare and unusual items including these handbooks, the red one is very rare, and a 1958/59 trade card.

• Options
    Part of David Emerson's family donation were some 1940s and 50s programmes including these two consecutive home games from 1948.

We were 3 - 0 up after 15 minutes, including a 45 yard free kick, Sam Bartram was barged into the net and played on with an injured ankle, Woolwich made it 3 - 3 before Chris Duffy scored an 80th minute winner.
  • Options
    We were also given this rather fetching hat from that great day out at Wembley.

• Options
    The other new "item" in the museum was Summer, an 11 week old from Taunton.

AS it was the 77th Anniversary of the FA Cup win she, and others, got to hold one of our four winners medals.

Got some good feedback in our visitors book too.