Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jay Rodriguez

12346»

Comments

• Bong alleges that Rodriguez says "you're black and you stink". Rodriguez, I believe, asserts that he actually says "you're breath stinks".

Good luck with that one FA especially if Rodriquez's lawyers have any reason to test Bong's command and understanding of the English language.
  • I just said morning to 2 black people at work without realising said morning gang, is that racist?

I hate these things, i am not talking too much on the verdict but how so many things get interpreted as racism these days.

Another example i might say something to my black friend in jest and they laugh, yet someone else can get offended by it? PC brigade

Saying "you're black and you stink" is racist - I'm astonished that you think it's "PC brigade" for the FA to hold an investigation to try and establish if those were the words that Jay Rodriguez used.
  • edited February 2018

I just said morning to 2 black people at work without realising said morning gang, is that racist?

I hate these things, i am not talking too much on the verdict but how so many things get interpreted as racism these days.

Another example i might say something to my black friend in jest and they laugh, yet someone else can get offended by it? PC brigade

Don’t worry about it and don’t take the mick out of stereotypes unless you’re self deprecating and I don’t think you will ever have a problem with being called a racist.

Pro tip: if you say “is that racist” to yourself or to others, it probably is.

Also, just because your friend is black and is ok with a joke doesn’t mean every black person is. Just like anything in life. You could call your white mate a cunt but call a white stranger a cunt and get a smack.
    Don't worry i was only asking the question as a joke/sarcasm.

I am aware, i have many black friends who i am close enough to have jokes that would be borderline. One example i said was because i did a snapchat with 2 of them on lunch once before and joked i was getting robbed(wait before PC brigade pipes up) they got involved and carried on the joke. One person who we are all close with was having a debate with them weeks ago (this event happened probably a year and a half ago) She is white and was saying its not right, however he was arguing how can you claim on my behalf to be offended. Basically he was saying they got involved in a jokey manner but she wouldn't accept it, but he was still fighting my corner, if we switched to someone i didnt know then of course it is racist/ offensive and awful.

The above is just an example, but i am aware of implications when other people might see differently and if they hear. But it is ridiculous, i am having a joke with my 2 friends but then someone else claims it could offend them... although they are involved in the joke itself.

PS- person who claimed offence was White
  • I just said morning to 2 black people at work without realising said morning gang, is that racist?

Don’t worry about it and don’t take the mick out of stereotypes unless you’re self deprecating and I don’t think you will ever have a problem with being called a racist.

Also, just because your friend is black and is ok with a joke doesn’t mean every black person is. Just like anything in life. You could call your white mate a cunt but call a white stranger a cunt and get a smack.

I am aware, i have many black friends who i am close enough to have jokes that would be borderline. One example i said was because i did a snapchat with 2 of them on lunch once before and joked i was getting robbed(wait before PC brigade pipes up) they got involved and carried on the joke. One person who we are all close with was having a debate with them weeks ago (this event happened probably a year and a half ago) She is white and was saying its not right, however he was arguing how can you claim on my behalf to be offended. Basically he was saying they got involved in a jokey manner but she wouldn't accept it, but he was still fighting my corner, if we switched to someone i didnt know then of course it is racist/ offensive and awful.

The above is just an example, but i am aware of implications when other people might see differently and if they hear. But it is ridiculous, i am having a joke with my 2 friends but then someone else claims it could offend them... although they are involved in the joke itself.

This, people need to realise that the situation is not Black and White (Pun intended) and you can say something racist with out being a racist.
  • edited February 2018
    This, people need to realise that the situation is not Black and White (Pun intended) and you can say something racist with out being a racist

Its all about context really, not claiming what i do is right just think sometimes it goes overboard with anything not just racism. There is a line but everyone sees it differently and you cant always account for that otherwise you wont be able to say anything.
  • Jay Rodriguez, the son of a Spanish father is accused of saying" your black and you smell" yet when watching on MOTD, Jay was doing mime in the split second when the allegations took place. So let's forget Trump, Haiti, and Charlton lifers perceptions (interesting as they are) and deal with this case. Unless there is a reliable witness(Referee or Assistant !) Or picked up by camera which can prove 100% that JR said racist remarks, then he is innocent and should not be tainted(he will unfortunately) by this allegation. Maybe they need a Spanish interpreter not a Portuguese one. Just remembered Jay was born in Burnley. "Trouble at t'mill".

I don't want to generalise about a whole community and come across as a racist (some of my best friends are white) but caucasians do seem to be overrepresented by humourless, overly sensitive, offended on other people's behalf types.
  • Also regarding the incident, it seems very strange wording for someone speaking as an English to use. Your black and you smell???? Surely they would say something like you Smelly Black etc......

I don't want to generalise about a whole community and come across as a racist (some of my best friends are white) but caucasians do seem to be overrepresented by humourless, overly sensitive, offended on other people's behalf types.
    Oh, but they're very caring. They'll even tell you so themselves. It's all about showing just how caring they are. If you have an issue with their oversensitivity then they will not only put you right, and tell you how and why they're right and you're wrong, but they will also then try and tarnish you in the same way that Cathy Newman did with Jordan Peterson in an attempt to close you down. You'll get the 'so what you're trying to say....' bomb thrown at you.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's very much about context, sure, but "saying something racist" is still saying something racist to a lot of people.

Everyone's different and people get offended at different things. I for one don't mind Frankie Boyle, but I bet loads of others hate his style of humour.

When people say "PC gone mad" - well, maybe take a step back and realise everyone's different, and not everyone shares the same world view.

It's a very difficult thing to do - we can only see the world through our own eyes, after all - but it goes a long way to ensuring we all get on.
  • Also regarding the incident, it seems very strange wording for someone speaking as an English to use. Your black and you smell???? Surely they would say something like you Smelly Black etc......

depends really, if he asked him why he was holding his nose it wouldn't be out of context to say because you're black and you smell
  • Sage said:

Hard to tell on the highlights but if he has said anything about B.O then that will be seen as racism and he will be suspended. And rightly so.

Personally don’t like him and of course don’t like Pardew either so anything that hinders them the better in my opinion.

please explain how commenting on someones Bo is racist ?

Oh, but they're very caring. They'll even tell you so themselves. It's all about showing just how caring they are. If you have an issue with their oversensitivity then they will not only put you right, and tell you how and why they're right and you're wrong, but they will also then try and tarnish you in the same way that Cathy Newman did with Jordan Peterson in an attempt to close you down. You'll get the 'so what you're trying to say....' bomb thrown at you.
    I only watched this last night, and found Peterson a very sharp performer who uses the glass of water to give himself a second to analyze the question. Cathy Newman who is a feisty journalist was beaten on points. It went the distance but I felt that Peterson who has a fantastic memory, counter punched so well that it could have been stopped when Cathy's eyes glazed over and her mouth opened and no words came out. An interesting adult debate with the Right wing professor and Canadian clinical psychologist looking to take on John Snow next.
  • PaddyP17 said:

It's very much about context, sure, but "saying something racist" is still saying something racist to a lot of people.

Everyone's different and people get offended at different things. I for one don't mind Frankie Boyle, but I bet loads of others hate his style of humour.

When people say "PC gone mad" - well, maybe take a step back and realise everyone's different, and not everyone shares the same world view.

It's a very difficult thing to do - we can only see the world through our own eyes, after all - but it goes a long way to ensuring we all get on.

Why can't the 'easily offended' people do the same thing?

depends really, if he asked him why he was holding his nose it wouldn't be out of context to say because you're black and you smell
    Good point but from viewing the incident it doesn't look like there was an exchange of words between the two.

You can mock disabled people and still offend some one because they might have a friend who is disabled or has a friend with a disabled relative.

Again, read social fucking cues. Don’t be offensive unless you know your company will take it in the good humour it’s intended as.

You can mock disabled people and still offend some one because they might have a friend who is disabled or has a friend with a disabled relative.

Again, read social fucking cues. Don’t be offensive unless you know your company will take it in the good humour it’s intended as.
    Thanks for pointing that out, if you read what i have put it all depends on context. If you are with your mates, a group of people who dont mind or similar levels of humour its fine.
  • Case has been thrown out by the FA...

Good to see that the Referee's comments have been included, ironically they insightful and would clear a lot more up if done more often!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43744840
  • Sponsored links:

Good to see that the Referee's comments have been included, ironically they insightful and would clear a lot more up if done more often!!

Not sure the referee's comments clear anything up - basically he's saying he didn't see or hear anything but felt that Bong sincerely believed JR said something racist.

No one saw or heard what happened except JR and GB, and video captured nothing useful so it's come down one person's word against another and they had insufficient evidence to find JR guilty of anything. Hardly a ringing endorsement of JR's innocence, though, and certainly not 'thrown out'.

Not sure the referee's comments clear anything up - basically he's saying he didn't see or hear anything but felt that Bong sincerely believed JR said something racist.

No one saw or heard what happened except JR and GB, and video captured nothing useful so it's come down one person's word against another and they had insufficient evidence to find JR guilty of anything. Hardly a ringing endorsement of JR's innocence, though, and certainly not 'thrown out'.
    Just think its nice for the Referee's comments to be mentioned

I think if they came out after games to explain debatable decisions, there might be less demand for VAR

It's quite frustrating really. If JR DID say something racist, then GB will feel that justice hasn't been done

On the other hand if JR DIDN'T say anything racist, he'll feel that his reputation has been unfairly tarnished, and that people will think he's guilty anyway...

Case has been thrown out by the FA...

Equally hardly a ringing endorsement of his guilt.
  • In Scotland they have "not proven"
    And despite using professional lip reading experts they couldn't see clearly.
    Jay Rodriguez has played against black players fort 10 years as a pro. If JR had used racist language in the past wouldn't at least one black player come forward ?

Not proven.

Jay Rodriguez has played against black players fort 10 years as a pro. If JR had used racist language in the past wouldn't at least one black player come forward ?

Not proven.

That's a very good point about other black players coming forward #metoo.

Not proven.

This isn't Scotland.

Innocent.
  • Not proven seems to saying we know you did it but can't prove it.

If they can't prove it then he's innocent.
  • Innocent until proven blah blah blah