Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Powell to Southend? (Confirmed P4)

Comments

• Greenie said:

I have this quandary about Powell, if he is such a good manager why the hell hasn't he been managing a club?
    I understand that Curbs is persona non grata with football clubs and will possibly never manage again, but Powell?

You do wonder. Glass ceiling etc. We have a long way to go folks.
  • Good luck to the man.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Greenie said:

I have this quandary about Powell, if he is such a good manager why the hell hasn't he been managing a club?
    I understand that Curbs is persona non grata with football clubs and will possibly never manage again, but Powell?

He needs to be fully funded to be successful IMO.
    Whats fully funded and what's successful ,
    were we fully funded when we finished 9th season after promotion
    We weren't forced to sell any key players were we? I'd say Powell was happy with that squad, and they were carrying confidence from being promoted.

The next season when we didn't have any funding, things went far less smoothly...
    So not being forced to sell key players you'd consider being fully funded , I think we stood still as a squad that season
    Compared to this lot, yes...
    That's not fully funded though is it. You're comparing zero funding to zero funding whilst actively moving on players.
  • He’ll do really well I think.

Will get them defensively organised, as they’ve conceded 47 goals so far this season, 3rd worst in the league. From there I believe they have enough going forward to create problems in this league. They won’t finish top 6, no chance, but he might achieve a top half finish which will probably be carried into next season, likely finishing top 6.

Shame, as much as I like Robinson, I really do, I would’ve loved for Powell to come back to some capacity when new owners take charge.
  • JamesSeed said:

Greenie said:

You do wonder. Glass ceiling etc. We have a long way to go folks.
    All about opinions.

I love Sir Chris as the majority appears to do on here. However read The Forum That Cannot Be Named and the prevailing viewpoint is scathing or indifferent towards him as a manager although, for fairness and completeness, they are complimentary of him as a player..

It could be that, like Curbs, as a devoted family man Chris does not want to disrupt his family too much so is only applying for certain jobs.

Southend's possible gain is very definitely our loss.

Thanks again Roland....
  • edited January 2018
    The fans love him down there, they'll cut him some slack initially. If he gets the chance to work in an environment similar to how Varney and his team turned things around through the first half of 2011 then he should be able to arrest the shrimpers' slide. He'll need to pull a Kermorgant shaped rabbit out of his flat cap if they are then to go on and challenge for promotion from Division 3 next season. What are the chances, Yann for a swansong on the Essex riviera?
    Charlton's 2011/12 squad would cost a helluva lot more than £1M now, and are Southend about to flog a teenager to the premier league to fund that sort of recruitment?
    Anyroadup it'll be good/poignant to see him Back At The Valley next season as another of the sides that gets comfortably beaten on our road to promotion.

• Charlton's 2011/12 squad would cost a helluva lot more than £1M now, and are Southend about to flog a teenager to the premier league to fund that sort of recruitment?

They've just flogged their midfielder Ryan Leonard to Sheff Utd for an estimated £700k.

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    Croydon said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Greenie said:

He needs to be fully funded to be successful IMO.
    Whats fully funded and what's successful ,
    were we fully funded when we finished 9th season after promotion
    We weren't forced to sell any key players were we? I'd say Powell was happy with that squad, and they were carrying confidence from being promoted.

The next season when we didn't have any funding, things went far less smoothly...
    So not being forced to sell key players you'd consider being fully funded , I think we stood still as a squad that season
    Compared to this lot, yes...
    That's not fully funded though is it. You're comparing zero funding to zero funding whilst actively moving on players.
    I'm comparing salary funding of players Powell wanted to asset stripping of players Robbo needs to do his jon actually.
  • I wish him all the success in the world.
  • Oakster said:

Nug said:

I wish him well and have no doubt he’ll do well. In fact I hope he does, some people on here and elsewhere have very short memories about what amazing success he was for us, quite embarrassing some of the comments to be honest.

So true & it amazes me that people are negative about him - The Powell years were an incredible time & the last time I felt a connection between the staff/players & the fans - would welcome him back as our manager in a heartbeat & I couldnt give a flyng f*ck what formation he plays.
    Indeed. When he arrived it was the first time I'd felt a connection for a few years, and when he left, it was the last time I felt a connection. They were good times, but at least we have them to cherish, imagine if Duchatelet had taken over instead of the Spivs.
  • I wish him all the luck in the world and hope he is a success down there however he will need to hit the ground running as they are only 2 points off the drop.

If he gets off to a bad start and the fans get on his back the fairy tail could end quickly.
  • edited January 2018

Let him build his own squad and CP brings success, I know for some so called purists his football was not attractive enough for them but I enjoyed all the winning personally.

I will never understand Charlton fans who don't get why CP is so special, I have great respect for him as a Player, great respect for him as a Manager & great respect for him as a Person.

I hope one day he returns to complete what he started years ago before the spivs & an insane Belgian destroyed all his hard work in making us proud of our club again, that pride feels such a distant memory.

But will he have the opportunity to build his own squad? When he came in to us with someonelses squad, despite adding BWP and 6 other players, we dropped from 5th to 15th. His ability to rebuild was based on Jimminez and Slater keeping him at the end of that season, something which was not guaranteed and there was apparently a suggestion that he was not "the man" and the Jenkinson money.

However good or bad Powell is and that can be debated over and over, management is often about luck. Would the Div 1 team have been able to cope with the injuries we have had this season? We were fortunate with injuries.

I would not want him back here as I do not think he would repeat his heroics of the past and that would cloud his legacy and I can't recall the return of a managerial hero ever working out .. two examples being on merseyside Howard Kendall at Everton and the great Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool.

I wish Powell all the very best if he is confirmed at Southend but fear he is now simply on the lower division merry go round and will have a 6 to 18 month tenure.

• Oakster said:

Nug said:

I wish him well and have no doubt he’ll do well. In fact I hope he does, some people on here and elsewhere have very short memories about what amazing success he was for us, quite embarrassing some of the comments to be honest.

So true & it amazes me that people are negative about him - The Powell years were an incredible time & the last time I felt a connection between the staff/players & the fans - would welcome him back as our manager in a heartbeat & I couldnt give a flyng f*ck what formation he plays.
    Just understand that there are some of us who think those years were very special, and that Chris Powell is an amazing person who did incredible things for this club, but we (I) also don't think that that can be repeated, at least not now. And bringing him back does not automatically revert things to January 2014. That's not how football (or time) work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good for him.

Get's him back into the swing of things at a club where he should be given time, rebuild some managerial confidence perhaps, continue his own development.....then can come on back to us :smiley:
  • Good luck to him

His remit will be to get promoted to the championship and when he is against 'big' clubs like us and a few others will be tough, btw I'm not professing that we are anything other than average in this league at the moment.

Southend are basically where they should be in the football pyramid and we are probably 20 places below so it's a good job for him to restore the reputation before coming home x
  • SDAddick said:

Oakster said:

Nug said:

Just understand that there are some of us who think those years were very special, and that Chris Powell is an amazing person who did incredible things for this club, but we (I) also don't think that that can be repeated, at least not now. And bringing him back does not automatically revert things to January 2014. That's not how football (or time) work.
    Says who. How do you know? Don't tell me how football works.

I will take Powell's vast expertise in the game & proven success in the game over yours I am afraid SD.

BTW I am strongly suspecting that you are actually Thomas Driesen with all the nerdy stat stuff gained from watching us on a computer & in-depth knowledge of Southend United's tactical propensities!!
  • edited January 2018
    Nug said:

Without getting the wrath of Ooaah, am i the only one who thought that our football during the Powell reign was boring as shit ? - whilst i cant 'defend' against the 100+ points season, it was a turgid,painful season once Hayes was sent packing and Kermy was brought in.
    And the 9th in Champs was also a bit misleading, because i remember being worried about possible relegation up until about 2/3 weeks before the end of the season - with not many points between 9th and about 15th in the end.
    Not decrying Powell's achievement, but i dont think, imo, thats he's as great a coach as that season makes out.

Is there a "fucking unbelievable" button I can click? Yeah it's been so much better since those days right? I'll leave the rest to ooahh.
    I didnt say that Nug, and you know that.
    I dont believe Powell is as good a coach as (clearly) most people believe. He didnt exactly set Huddersfield alight, did he?
  • Nug said:

Without getting the wrath of Ooaah, am i the only one who thought that our football during the Powell reign was boring as shit ? - whilst i cant 'defend' against the 100+ points season, it was a turgid,painful season once Hayes was sent packing and Kermy was brought in.
    And the 9th in Champs was also a bit misleading, because i remember being worried about possible relegation up until about 2/3 weeks before the end of the season - with not many points between 9th and about 15th in the end.
    Not decrying Powell's achievement, but i dont think, imo, thats he's as great a coach as that season makes out.

Is there a "fucking unbelievable" button I can click? Yeah it's been so much better since those days right? I'll leave the rest to ooahh.
    I dont believe Powell is as good a coach as (clearly) most people believe.
    Turgid? After Hayes was replaced by Kermorgant? Nuff said. I honestly think you are just on a constant wind up on here.
  • Nug said:

Nug said:

I dont believe Powell is as good a coach as (clearly) most people believe.
    Turgid? After Hayes was replaced by Kermorgant? Nuff said. I honestly think you are just on a constant wind up on here.
    I'm not saying (obviously) that Kermy wasnt a better player than Hayes but the whole team dynamic changed after Kermy joined because he was so good in the air, it was essentially a lets just lump it up to Kermy, instead of the maybe more intricate football before he joined. It was a bit like having Peter Crouch join the team- but the thing was Kermy was just as good if not better on the floor. It worked, but it was pretty turgid stuff tbh.
  • Without getting the wrath of Ooaah, am i the only one who thought that our football during the Powell reign was boring as shit ? - whilst i cant 'defend' against the 100+ points season, it was a turgid,painful season once Hayes was sent packing and Kermy was brought in.

I loved CP as a player but have to agree a lot of the football under him was a bit industrial. I think he's a good man manager but maybe a bit lacking when it comes to tactics.