Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2018

Comments

• Options
    132-1 off 30

DBD 60* (83)
    Dickson 18* (19)
  • Options
    142-2 off 31.4

DBD gone for 66* (87) chipping one to short mid wicket. Thanks Tino your words have clearly gone to the boy's head!
  • Options
    Rouse, wicket keeper, stumped by half the length of the track for 6.

153-3 off 34.1

Dickson 31* (30)
  • Options
    178-3 off 40
  • Options
    The bails have just been hit by a direct throw from the boundary - and guess what?

They haven't come off - again!
  • Options
    225-3 off 44

Blake 31* (29) and Dickson 72* (60) peppering the spectators with 6's
  • Options
    Dickson goes too two legitimate balls later. Unbelievable cursing from me to the extent that we now have two new batsmen in. So sorry folks.
  • Options
    Stewart caught behind for 3 so our decline continues to 237-6 off 46.1

The wicket taker is Orlando Peters who, as well as having a fantastic name, looks about 18. But is actually 30 in May!
  • Options
    Haggett is given out LBW by the umpire but it did pitch outside leg.

251-7 off 48.2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riles is out caught on the boundary to give my youthful looking friend, Orlando, a five for.

254-8 off 48.5
  • Options
    260-9 with one ball to go - Qayyum gone for one.
  • Options
    Gidman hits the final ball out of the park so we finish on 266-9

Gidman 27* (19)
    Thomas 0* (0)
  • Options

Tino Best has just spent the last five minutes explaining the difference between Division 1 and Division 2 first class cricket and effectively suggesting that DBD needs to join one in the top tier asap to further his career.

Thanks Tino but stick to smashing windows eh!

If DBD had batted better the last couple of years, then he might have been more of a target for the Div 1 counties...
  • Options
    In a rain affected game, we won by 23 runs under D/L. The Hurricanes were at one point 120-0 off 25 but they ended up with 196-6 off 42 overs.

Best bowler was Riley with 10-3-40-4, a career best and who also received the MOM. He admitted in the interview that he wasn't expected to play much on the tour but, hopefully, he can use his performances in this series to kick on.

So we finish in 2nd place in the group and now move to the semis on Wednesday against Barbados.
  • Options
    Presumably the timing to SNE's departure to Hants was deliberate. I would imagine that it would have been a bit embarrassing for all concerned had Hants revealed this a month or so ago only for us to meet them in the semi or final of this comp. As it happened Hants are heading home early anyway.
  • Options

In a rain affected game, we won by 23 runs under D/L. The Hurricanes were at one point 120-0 off 25 but they ended up with 196-6 off 42 overs.

Best bowler was Riley with 10-3-40-4, a career best and who also received the MOM. He admitted in the interview that he wasn't expected to play much on the tour but, hopefully, he can use his performances in this series to kick on.

So we finish in 2nd place in the group and now move to the semis on Wednesday against Barbados.

The Windies seems to be a spinners paradise now (a bizarre state of affairs for anyone who remembers what it used to be like!), I can't imagine Canterbury in April will be so spin friendly
  • Options
    From the official site:

Batsman Sam Northeast has signed for Hampshire.

The 28-year-old turned down the club’s offers of a long-term contract extension and he was reluctantly given permission to talk to other first class counties.

Northeast was capped in 2012 and scored 19 first-class centuries in 135 matches, two centuries and 13 fifties in 86 one-day games as well as a hundred and 17 half-centuries in 90 T20 matches.

Northeast said: “I have had a really enjoyable 10 years at Kent Cricket and I would like to wish the club and its supporters the best of luck for the future.

“It was an honour to be the Club Captain and I leave the club with many happy memories.”

The club has received an undisclosed fee in compensation from Hampshire as Northeast had a year left on his Kent contract.

Kent Cricket CEO Ben Green said: “It’s sad that Sam has decided to leave Kent. We wish him well and thank him for all his efforts during his time with Kent.

“We are encouraged by the progress the squad is making on the FGS Plant Tour and we continue to look at strengthening the squad ahead of the new season.”

I see that the Roland's "undisclosed fee" is now successfully being utilised by Kent!
  • Options
    Really pleased for Riles and hope that this tour gives him back the confidence that he seemingly lost through the change in his action and subsequent injuries.

The flip side is the tinge of sadness I feel for Adam Ball. He is a Charlton fan too but was at Arsenal between the ages of 9 and 12. His football career never progressed but at cricket he went on to play for England U19s at the age of 16 in the same side as Root and Stokes. He was released by us at the back end of last season by Kent and as far as I am aware he is still without a County. Such are the vagaries and challenges face by sportsmen.

Below is a link to a picture of Adam in the Arsenal U9s with Benik Afobe and one Harry Kane and we all know which way Kane's career has gone - much to Arsenal's chagrin.

https://twitter.com/ArsenalFanTV/status/898168796233551872
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The full article from The Cricketer regarding the state of things at Kent and the goings on leading up to it:

http://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/domestic_county_championship/all_change_at_kent_as_downton_takes_up_the_reins_and_northeast_leaves_.html
  • Options

The full article from The Cricketer regarding the state of things at Kent and the goings on leading up to it:

http://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/domestic_county_championship/all_change_at_kent_as_downton_takes_up_the_reins_and_northeast_leaves_.html

As development encroaches on one of the most traditional of grounds, distant from the epicentre of the planned new Twenty20 competition, the new chairman, Simon Philip, might wish to revisit the proposal by another former chairman of cricket, the late Jim Woodhouse, that the club would be better off pitching their stumps closer to the M25.
    Something has to change, and radically or else the club will continue to be an also-ran, despite the number of people who actually play cricket in Kent, when compared to many other counties enjoying much more success. The ground is a dump, with poor spectator and corporate facilities, and slipping further behind other grounds
  • Options
    For those who haven't seen the result, unfortunately we lost by 14 runs (D/L) in last night's semi against Barbados.

Barbados scored 263-3 off their 50 overs (Riley 1-34 and Qayyum 1-40 respectively off their 10 overs). In reply we made 216-8 with Dickson (51) and Rouse (45) top scoring.

Of course we did send out a depleted team with no Billings, Denly, Stevens and the departed Northeast but Barbados were missing a number of their first choice players too so we shouldn't be looking for that as an excuse for the defeat.
  • Options
    Is Windies cricket starting to get some momentum again?
    Battered the England Lions in the 4 dayer.
  • Options

For those who haven't seen the result, unfortunately we lost by 14 runs (D/L) in last night's semi against Barbados.

Barbados scored 263-3 off their 50 overs (Riley 1-34 and Qayyum 1-40 respectively off their 10 overs). In reply we made 216-8 with Dickson (51) and Rouse (45) top scoring.

Of course we did send out a depleted team with no Billings, Denly, Stevens and the departed Northeast but Barbados were missing a number of their first choice players too so we shouldn't be looking for that as an excuse for the defeat.

Looking at the squad we sent out there (and the off season nature of this event) I'm surprised we made it so far! Still don't see the point of playing in such an event when the one day cup back home doesn't start until the 17th May though, are any other counties playing already?
  • Options

Looking at the squad we sent out there (and the off season nature of this event) I'm surprised we made it so far! Still don't see the point of playing in such an event when the one day cup back home doesn't start until the 17th May though, are any other counties playing already?
    Hants were in the other group but only won one or two matches.

I do take the point that the comp is meaningless. What it has done though is to help bowlers like Riley, Thomas, Qayyum and Stewart to test themselves in proper competition - the former two are coming back from injury and the last two are both relatively new to the first team squad. They simply would not have had these opportunities pre season. especially in 2nd X1 friendlies which would have been the case for one or two of them. The other benefit is that Donald has had a chance to look at all of the squad and in particular the bowlers in competition situations.
  • Options

I do take the point that the comp is meaningless. What it has done though is to help bowlers like Riley, Thomas, Qayyum and Stewart to test themselves in proper competition - the former two are coming back from injury and the last two are both relatively new to the first team squad. They simply would not have had these opportunities pre season. especially in 2nd X1 friendlies which would have been the case for one or two of them. The other benefit is that Donald has had a chance to look at all of the squad and in particular the bowlers in competition situations.
    So he's caught up with what we already knew... we're shit.

:-)
  • Options

Kent's weaknesses aren't hard to work out. Doing something about it is the hardest part!

I've said before, but what is Kent's main priority? We don't have the resources to compete on all front sadly, so do we want promotion to L1, or a winning T20 team? Doing averagely well in both red and white ball cricket isn't a sensible strategy
  • Options

Kent's weaknesses aren't hard to work out. Doing something about it is the hardest part!

I've said before, but what is Kent's main priority? We don't have the resources to compete on all front sadly, so do we want promotion to L1, or a winning T20 team? Doing averagely well in both red and white ball cricket isn't a sensible strategy
    Promotion to division 1 would be my choice but financially tip and run probably pays more.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Promotion to division 1 would be my choice but financially tip and run probably pays more.
    To get promotion we need some decent pace bowlers, and ones prepared to join us in April, rather than just turn up in the summer for 6 weeks of the T20 stuff...