Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• Options
    Pretty even first half. 
  • Options
    Whoever decided to play in grey against a team with half-white kit wasn't giving much thought to those of us with small screens. This is really hard to watch.
  • Options
    I know it is a bit anti football, but I'd like to see us loft it into the box a bit more.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    Bloody awful commentary.
    The male commentator has a really depressing voice!
  • Options
    Bit disappointed with us so far offensively. Set pieces look the way.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    0-1 Charlton Well taken goal from Jess King

• Options
    Well done.
  • Options
    well done girls, wonder how many of the players will still be here for next game when we go full time. Certainly some look capable of the step up if they want to.
  • Options
    Well done ladies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anybody know when the draw for the quarter finals is?
  • Options
    Great result. Something to look forward to next season. The quarter finals will be midweek at the end of September and will be live on FA Player.

Meanwhile Leicester have just beaten Manchester United, which makes me feel a bit better about the mauling they gave us at their place a fortnight ago.
  • Options
    Watch the Women's final later today at 8 pm on BT 2, no disrespect to Cafc woman but it is light years ahead of where we are with our part time players.

I can't stand Chelsea as a club but along with Man City and Arsenal they are supreme in the WSL.

Chelsea v Barcelona should show case the best of Woman's football, with the full time professionals and internationals on show.

I will watch it as a neutral but I have watched Kirby since she played for Reading and she is now a top player who has had a brilliant season after overcoming illness.

I have watched games at Kingston before Covid struck and the standard has gone up every time. 

• Options
    Well done.
  • Options
    Great result. Something to look forward to next season. The quarter finals will be midweek at the end of September and will be live on FA Player.

Meanwhile Leicester have just beaten Manchester United, which makes me feel a bit better about the mauling they gave us at their place a fortnight ago.
    Bizarre how they're spreading the games into next season. League seasons are over, so if they're going to play the ties midweek next season why couldn't they just do that now? Play the quarter finals 19-20th May, semis on the 24-25th and then the final on 30 May? Job done and finished this season.

Stretching it into next season when some of the sides will have different players from now (especially us) is a bit odd.

On the plus side, great achievement from us, it'd be good if they can get a tie with one of the big 3 (City, Chelsea, Arsenal). 
  • Options

Bizarre how they're spreading the games into next season. League seasons are over, so if they're going to play the ties midweek next season why couldn't they just do that now? Play the quarter finals 19-20th May, semis on the 24-25th and then the final on 30 May? Job done and finished this season.

Stretching it into next season when some of the sides will have different players from now (especially us) is a bit odd.

On the plus side, great achievement from us, it'd be good if they can get a tie with one of the big 3 (City, Chelsea, Arsenal). 
    Will players be cup tied if they change clubs in the summer?
  • Options
    Watch the Women's final later today at 8 pm on BT 2, no disrespect to Cafc woman but it is light years ahead of where we are with our part time players.

I can't stand Chelsea as a club but along with Man City and Arsenal they are supreme in the WSL.

Chelsea v Barcelona should show case the best of Woman's football, with the full time professionals and internationals on show.

I will watch it as a neutral but I have watched Kirby since she played for Reading and she is now a top player who has had a brilliant season after overcoming illness.

I have watched games at Kingston before Covid struck and the standard has gone up every time. 

But if you are going to get to the top, you need to do it in steps. You can argue that our first step has been achieved this season as we were a relegation team before January, and our next step is to emulate Leicester. They beat one of the better women's teams today in the cup. Then I would say it would be to stay up and then push into the top 6.... 

Not light years, but a massive step created by taking a number of tough but possible steps. Not necessarily every season, but the important thing is when we take a step, we don't move down one.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Crusty54 said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    There is a good argument for making the goals smaller in women's football.
    Not for me. A good woman keeper is rare because it is such a technical position and the coaching of women keepers lags behind what it should be. Of course male keepers have a physical advantage but they do in other positions too.

If the FA are not putting the resources into technical keeping coaching for the best young girls, they are missing a massive trick. And it is what should be happening at club level too.

The goal posts are too high, they simply don't have a fair advantage compared to the mens game.
    According to the ONS, the average height of a man is 5 9" compared to 5 3" of a woman.
    It's a big physical difference.
    Surprisingly it doesn't matter about height. The size of the goal is the same for both sides.

To win you just need to score more goals than the opposition.
    That's not really the point I'm making.
    Men now are taller in general than they were 150 years ago when football was first being regulated.  Should we make the goals bigger in the men's game?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

But if you are going to get to the top, you need to do it in steps. You can argue that our first step has been achieved this season as we were a relegation team before January, and our next step is to emulate Leicester. They beat one of the better women's teams today in the cup. Then I would say it would be to stay up and then push into the top 6.... 

Not light years, but a massive step created by taking a number of tough but possible steps. Not necessarily every season, but the important thing is when we take a step, we don't move down one.

Charlton Women have improved since the introduction of the Spurs manager to oversee the development of the women's team, with some cracking results including the win at Durham who were second in the Championship.

Going full time for some players will improve the team and great that steps are in place to reach this goal under Thomas Sandgaard's tenure.

My main point was the massive difference between all champ clubs not just Charlton and the big 3 or 4 if you include Man it's with City, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Hopefully the quality will be shown tonight and at least if Chelsea win it helps the  English girls for when they play for England in WC and Euros.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Crusty54 said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    There is a good argument for making the goals smaller in women's football.
    Not for me. A good woman keeper is rare because it is such a technical position and the coaching of women keepers lags behind what it should be. Of course male keepers have a physical advantage but they do in other positions too.

If the FA are not putting the resources into technical keeping coaching for the best young girls, they are missing a massive trick. And it is what should be happening at club level too.

The goal posts are too high, they simply don't have a fair advantage compared to the mens game.
    According to the ONS, the average height of a man is 5 9" compared to 5 3" of a woman.
    It's a big physical difference.
    Surprisingly it doesn't matter about height. The size of the goal is the same for both sides.

To win you just need to score more goals than the opposition.
    That's not really the point I'm making.
    Men now are taller in general than they were 150 years ago when football was first being regulated.  Should we make the goals bigger in the men's game?
    Probably explains all the silly scores from the first season of the FL.
    7-3, 9-1, 5-5, 7-1, 6-2, 7-0, 6-3 etc, you get the picture.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chelsea not impressing so far!
  • Options
    It's like watching pro's v amateurs. Could end up being double figures.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Barcelona caught Chelsea cold and it was a 1st half master class in passing and movement. Chelsea haven't looked that poor since Arsenal thrashed them 3 years ago. 
    100% not a penalty, but Chelsea were done down the flanks and the inter passing around the box was tremendous. 
    Again Chelsea could/should of had a penalty but it was Barcelona night and Martens was superb and to a woman they had the best players.

Chelsea have looked so strong this season but the wheels came off in 15 minutes and the athletic Spanish team just passed around the shell shocked blues.

2nd half was damage limitation but Barcelona never let Chelsea back in and Barcelona ran out comfortable winners.
  • Options
    Whoever decided to play in grey against a team with half-white kit wasn't giving much thought to those of us with small screens. This is really hard to watch.
    That was my initial thought but then I remembered the home and away shirts have different sponsors. They have played several away games in red but more 'TV' coverage for this game probably the reason.
  • Options
    does anyone know if the players will be cup tied for the rest of the fa cup next season? and if so how would that work if lots of teams will be going through rebuilds this summer 
  • Options
    I think we can safely assume that won't be the case seeing as the cup is resuming in September.
  • Options
    Assuming rules on being cup tied are suspended for the competition this year, it does make an odd situation possible where a player could feasibly win a Winners medal and a Runners Up medal in the same season.
    (I assume medals will be awarded to players who’ve played in the cup this season, but move on over the summer?)
  • Options
    Heard the vast majority of the squad didnt get kept on for next season, excited to see what the team looks like next year. Feels a bit cold blooded but thats the way of competitive sport.