Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• Options
    Be interested to a list of those kept on. 
  • Options
    I reckon the keeper will be one of them.
  • Options
    Shanell Salgado or Eartha Cummings? Shanell announced her leaving a couple of days ago.

With the move to full time it was always going to be mass change, a mixture of not being good enough and for a lot of the players simply not wanting to give up their careers to go full time in football, especially the older ones.
  • Options
    Cummings, I think she has potential.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Shanell Salgado or Eartha Cummings? Shanell announced her leaving a couple of days ago.

With the move to full time it was always going to be mass change, a mixture of not being good enough and for a lot of the players simply not wanting to give up their careers to go full time in football, especially the older ones.

Yes, I think that's probably right.

There are plenty who aren't good enough ... and there are a lot of players out there who have already decided to commit to a full-time career.  That's where the influx will come from.

Cummings is an interesting one.  She looks capable, but it's such an important role/weakness in the womens' game that it's worth investing heavily in that position. 
  • Options
    Maybe we can re-sign Kit Graham.......
  • Options
    There are several players who've gone full-time over the years. Kit Graham probably the most obvious. Would be brilliant to get her back, but I suspect Spurs might have a bit of an edge over us in terms of budget. 

I suspect those who really want to go full-time already have, by moving elsewhere over the last couple of years. They're not short of options in London & the south east. But by the same token there's no great shortage of full-time players we can try to bring in. It's going to be disruptive, but there are good reasons to be optimistic.
  • Options
    Two great servants to the club, they'll be missed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those two will leave a big gap. Very few left now from the side that came up from the third tier. But then I guess the players who were with us before we started the 18 hour a week contracts will be more likely to be unable to increase their hours any further. There will be tier 3 teams in London who can't believe their luck with some of the players we're releasing.

Looks like about half the starting 11 from the Blackburn game have been released, which if anything is less than we were expecting. Of course there may still be some who've been offered new contracts but haven't decided whether to accept. 
  • Options
    I don’t have a list but I heard only 6 players from the squad were kept on. I wonder who they give captaincy to now? 
  • Options
    I don’t have a list but I heard only 6 players from the squad were kept on. I wonder who they give captaincy to now? 
    Whoever they sign to be captain I guess. It was always going to be a huge overhaul with the move to full professional and I guess the girls let go are a mix of those unwilling to move to full pro and those who the club believes we can get better than now we are offering pro deals
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Dave Rudd said:
    Rob7Lee said:

There are plenty who aren't good enough ... and there are a lot of players out there who have already decided to commit to a full-time career.  That's where the influx will come from.

Cummings is an interesting one.  She looks capable, but it's such an important role/weakness in the womens' game that it's worth investing heavily in that position. 

I actually really disagree with this, I think Cummings has proved herself to be probably our best player. I think she's playing at a level where she could probably be getting game time at a top half WSL team. I don't think you'd be able to attract any keeper playing in England, either in the championship or from a lower WSL team, that could do a better job than she's currently doing. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I actually really disagree with this, I think Cummings has proved herself to be probably our best player. I think she's playing at a level where she could probably be getting game time at a top half WSL team. I don't think you'd be able to attract any keeper playing in England, either in the championship or from a lower WSL team, that could do a better job than she's currently doing. 
    I'm not sure what you actually really disagree with.

I said that she looks capable.  But you can get the single greatest improvement in most womens' teams by improving the goalkeeper.

If there is no-one better out there, then fair enough.

But I bet there is. 

And don't we need two good keepers anyway?
  • Options
    I can see both points. If I was a women's football team manager, keeper would be the first position I looked at. But, I have seen Cummings play enough times to see she has everything she needs and I believe she is better than a few WSL keepers with more to come given her age. The mistakes she has made, I believe are fixable and overall her technique is pretty good and well above average. 

Yes, we should sign a new keeper if a better one becomes available, but I think that is a hard task and certainly an unlikely expectation. And even if we did, Cummings is one for the future. She is definitely good enough to further develop in the Championship next season. Hopefully the link with the mens team means the mens coaches can do some work with her too.
  • Options
    Any draw would've been tough, but Brighton away could be a good yardstick for the level we could be aspiring to. Hope our new look side can give them a proper game in a few months. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Just like the men's team the woman's team are on a journey forward under Thomas Sandgaard. To reach the quarter final this season the team have already over achieved. The coaches won't say that, they will and must convince the girls that their A game against Brighton gives them a chance if they can negate Brighton's game.

Hope Powell is one of the most experienced coaches around in men's or women's football.
    Wishing Cafc woman a good performance.
  • Options
    Brighton looks a decent cup draw.
  • Options
    Apart from Birmingham City Brighton is probably the best draw we could’ve got. With a new squad that will hopefully be a winnable game, next season is gonna be an exciting one for sure! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The FA have announced Sunderland and Watford as the two clubs promoted to the Championship, replacing Bees. The league also gains Bristol City, who were relegated from the WSL, replacing Leicester. So 12 clubs next season and one extra home game.
  • Options
    Might be good value having a bet on us to win the league.
  • Options
    Currently work going on at ‘pippenhall’ to accommodate and upgrade the facilities used by the women’s team... 

presumably this is somewhere within sparrows lane? 

TS paying for this development? 
  • Options
     New facilities

As part of the transition, new facilities are being built at Pippenhall for changing rooms, medical rooms and meeting rooms. The facilities are part of the club’s Sparrows Lane training ground and the team will also share the current 3G pitches, gym and canteen already in place at the current training ground.” 

• Options
    Exciting times ahead for Charlton's female footballers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57382976
  • Options
    I would like to put a bet on our ladies but am having difficulty finding how I can online using my Paddy Power account. I am a very light occasional gambler. Anybody know where I can find the odds and put a bet on us winning the League next season if they are reasonable?
  • Options
    Reading that BBC article it’s clear that TS has very definitive ambitions for the football club. There is no question in my mind that the massive uplift in investment and professionalism we are seeing with the women’s team will also be seen with the men’s team. More expensive and difficult in many ways but I’ve no doubt he’ll get us back to the PL eventually. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    If we look at last season's Championship, Leicester were head and shoulders above the others which Charlton were able to compete with in the back end of the season. The question for me is how strong Bristol City will be. It would seem more than possible that we will be making a decent sized jump and if Bristol City are sub Leicester next season it should look very bright for us.