Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• Options
    I checked onlne and saw Durham had equalised on 47 minutes, then checked again and see it is 1-0 again after 65 :). Must have had a goal disallowed.
  • Options
    2-0 now :)
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    2-1 into added time.
    (Edit) Finished 2-1
  • Options
    2-1 at full time. Absolutely superb result. We've always known they could do this, and they waited until right at the end of the season to prove it.
  • Options
    The new ownership has helped turn the season around.

A great result today.
  • Options
    Great result. So many times earlier in the season they seemed to be so close but not quite good enough. Just managed to get that bit extra from somewhere in last few weeks. 
    Be interesting to see developments over the summer as they go full time and presumably be some recruitment. 
  • Options
    Excellent result. Well done Karen Hills and all involved.
  • Options
    Today's result got even better - to general astonishment, Bees somehow beat Blackburn 3-2 while Coventry demolished Palace 5-2. That puts us in 7th for the moment. Our final league game next Sunday is at Leicester; realistically we need a miracle to get anything out of that. But Palace and Blackburn aren't guaranteed to overtake us even if we lose. After a season of trying to make sure we finished 9th or 10th, 7th or 8th would do very nicely.
  • Options
    It seems we have a big game against Blackburn in the cup and then onto next season (with the cup continuing then). I think the current players are showing what they are about and that we don't need wholesale changes. You would assume with a few well planned additions, we should be able to have a go at it next season.
  • Options
    It seems we have a big game against Blackburn in the cup and then onto next season (with the cup continuing then). I think the current players are showing what they are about and that we don't need wholesale changes. You would assume with a few well planned additions, we should be able to have a go at it next season.
    I think the issue with the current squad and next year is turning full time. Many have other careers, especially if they are nearing the end of their football careers they won't want to go full time to have to start again in 2-3 years time. Even those a bit younger who maybe have 5-6 years left may already be earning more than what they will receive as a full time player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Highlights of the Durham game now up on the YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Mf7wbf0Cc
  • Options
    Sunday's game at Leicester will be streamed on FA Player. This wasn't the scheduled game; I suspect it may have been added because of the social media boycott meaning live-tweeting isn't an option for clubs. You have to sign in to get FA Player, but it's free. Once signed in, scroll across the list of games at the bottom of the page until you see us. 2pm kickoff. https://faplayer.thefa.com/home/all
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think the issue with the current squad and next year is turning full time. Many have other careers, especially if they are nearing the end of their football careers they won't want to go full time to have to start again in 2-3 years time. Even those a bit younger who maybe have 5-6 years left may already be earning more than what they will receive as a full time player.
    Then maybe we should have a mixture of full time and part time for a season to soften the transformation.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Then maybe we should have a mixture of full time and part time for a season to soften the transformation.
    Don't think that's really practical, you'd get some/most of the team training every day of the week and some turning up on a Tuesday evening for a few hours.
  • Options
    It could work for a season if the alternative is to throw the baby out with the bath water.
  • Options
    Having said that, Leicester are what we need to be next season and not many of our girls are showing they can match them today. 
  • Options
    Women's season tickets just £60 or £30 for over 65. Sounds a good deal to me. 
    I hope that next years fixture lists has the women playing home different weekend to the men. Last season always seemed same weekend. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    I hope that next years fixture lists has the women playing home different weekend to the men. Last season always seemed same weekend. 
    Maybe Sandgaard should look into seeing if the Womens team can play an early fixture @ the Valley one Saturday home game - Be questionable over how many people want to be in the Valley from 12noon when the Mens team wont be done till 5pm, but might be a good opportunity to further showcase the level of the womens game

Not to mention might make a bit more through catering etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://cafcwomen.co.uk/vote-for-your-2020-21-player-of-the-year/

Poll for the player of the year. I think there have been a few stand out players this year, I would probably give it to the keeper but there have been a couple that they could give it to. 
  • Options
    tbh it's almost impossible to vote. not been able to see any games live and only seen 3 on tv. Goalkeeper definitely looks good, been impressed with the CH, there's Rutherford and of course the Charlton stalwart Charlie Clifford. Perhaps it's a year to give it to her 
  • Options
    redman said:
    but the women play on Sundays.
  • Options
    redman said:
    Does this mean the FA Cup will not be completed this season and will be finished off next year? 
    Why don't they just play the quarters, semi and final every few days (like they did with last years mens champions league) and finish it all by first week of June?
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    redman said:
    but the women play on Sundays.
    of course they do, but unless I go to the away game (which I sometimes do) then it means some weekends there is no football to watch and the next weekend it is 2 consecutive days, the whole weekend. 
    Personal preference maybe but I would be surprised if I was the only one who felt this.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    redman said:
    Think I may get one, even though I would probably only go to three or four games. £60 is not a lot to support the Women and hopefully will encourage TS to continue to provide them with backing. 

I wonder how much the ST discount will be?

EDIT: £48 for new ST holders.
  • Options
    Blackburn Rovers are streaming the FA Cup game on Sunday on their YouTube channel. 12 noon kick-off, not the usual 2pm.  
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXF29YweTfmzZClTS3nfaBA
    Last match of the season; if we're successful the Quarter Final will be on Weds 29 September. This year's final will be played on 5 December, which is the 100th anniversary of the FA originally banning women's football.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    This is probably worth a watch. If we can win this, we will be in the quarter finals with a full time squad. 
  • Options
    Bloody awful commentary.
  • Options
    I assume it's not a stat that anyone records, but I'm always struck by the number of times the ball goes out of play when I watch the womens' games.

I'll claim to have been a bit of a latter-day pioneer of womens' football having coached in the late 1980s/early 1990s ... but I don't recall games being like that back in the day.