Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• Options
    Yes, surely the usual 2pm would have been better!
    The time was set by FA Player so they could show 3 games one after another.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Avoid defeat against the London Bees and that ought to be enough. Had the game on with the England game and was dropping off.

Our recent results show how ridiculous the suggestion of making the goals smaller is. In women's football, when a team scores a lot, it is because of the difference between the teams. When teams are evenly matched they are as low scoring as men's matches, 
  • Options
    Is it one down?
  • Options
    How did your niece play @seth plum
  • Options
    Is it one down?
    Yes, it's one down. Even that is in doubt this season as the tier 3 leagues got stopped so there may not be a team available to replace the relegated club. But it would be madness to risk that, as the FA are suggesting that they'll get clubs to apply for promotion and while they might just seek one applicant to fill the gap in the division, they might seek two and relegate the 11th club. 

Either way, win or draw against Bees next Sunday and we don't have to worry about it.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    How did your niece play @seth plum
    Allie played at left back on a needs must basis, when really she is probably suited to a more advanced position.
    I ended up watching her probably more than the game overall weirdly. Even though she was physically dominated, she was fierce in the tackle, always available, and moved the ball on efficiently, with a few well judged long passes mixed in.
    Took all the throw ins and was dependable. I am trying hard not to be biased but I would say she played well.
    She is off with the Republic of Ireland squad next month for friendlies and though she has travelled with the squad before she is yet to be capped.
    Allie is out of contract at the end of the season and I don’t know what her next adventure will be, but she got married in January in Texas so that might be a factor.
  • Options
    Highlights up on the YouTube channel. Not the most exciting game ever, but a good point and we had chances to win it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FprgTU0aOOw
  • Options
    Seems we only need a point to stay up
  • Options
    Avoid defeat against the London Bees and that ought to be enough. Had the game on with the England game and was dropping off.

Our recent results show how ridiculous the suggestion of making the goals smaller is. In women's football, when a team scores a lot, it is because of the difference between the teams. When teams are evenly matched they are as low scoring as men's matches, 
    I don't think it's ridiculous, I think its common sense. There are plenty of pro's who support the idea too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The women's game is improving at a rapid rate. I suppose at some point they could make the goals bigger again!
  • Options
    The women's game is improving at a rapid rate. I suppose at some point they could make the goals bigger again!
    According to the ONS. In the UK, the average height of a man – is 5ft 9in (175.3cm) and a woman is 5ft 3in (161.6cm).
  • Options
    Football is a game suitable for all heights. When football was invented I think the height of the average man was about 5ft 5.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Football is a game suitable for all heights. When football was invented I think the height of the average man was about 5ft 5.
    Of course. However my point is based on facts. Men are taller than women. 

This isn't just my opinion, lots of people are having the same discussion regarding the same topic.
  • Options
    I agree men are taller although women seem to be catching up. Tennis courts are the same size for men and women. Anyway, we clearly have opposing views on the subject, we probably just have to agree to differ.
  • Options
    I agree men are taller although women seem to be catching up. Tennis courts are the same size for men and women. Anyway, we clearly have opposing views on the subject, we probably just have to agree to differ.
    Fair enough, it's always good to have a difference of opinion. It would be a dull world if we all thought the same.

One final point I want to add. Due to muscle mass men can jump higher and further.

Lots of sports do recognise this disadvantage and have made measures to compensate this. 
  • Options
    You can improve the game, you can't really 'improve' arm span. 
  • Options
    I don't think goals or sizes of pitches should be altered at all , but I  would like to know when you think football was invented
  • Options
    I don't think goals or sizes of pitches should be altered at all , but I  would like to know when you think football was invented
    I can help here.  In China around second century BC.  It was called cuju. Or alternatively, 3,000 years ago the Mayans in Central America also had a ball game.  I think the losing team got executed.

But in England prior to 1865, there was no crossbar and goals were scored at any height. (Even Nicky Bailey's penalty would have counted.) 

Then there were variable goal dimensions depending upon which rules applied. Eton rules were 7 feet high and 11 feet wide and the ball had to be lower than 7 feet to count as a goal.  Whereas Cambridge University rules were just two poles 15 feet apart and goals could still be scored at any height.

The "crossbar" started off as a tape and it wasn't until 1875 that the wooden crossbar started to be introduced at a height of 8 feet.  Interestingly it seems the average height of a man at age 21 back then was indeed 5' 5". It is now, I think around 5' 10" but of course goalkeepers are generally much taller.  So perhaps the argument should be about making the goals higher/wider for men rather than smaller for women?

But generally I think the goal size is fine as it is. Whereas something needs to be done about tennis. The hugely tall players, who are only any good because they are tall, should be handicapped by having to stand further back behind the baseline when they serve.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the 1860s in terms of association football.
  • Options

I think that counts as being regulated not invented

Football has been played for many centuries prior to 1860's

• Options

Fair enough. But the longer you go back the shorter men were. I would say cafc fan has nailed the point though by informing us when the dimensions were set out and indeed the average height of men at that time, 5ft 5.
  • Options

Fair enough. But the longer you go back the shorter men were. I would say cafc fan has nailed the point though by informing us when the dimensions were set out and indeed the average height of men at that time, 5ft 5.

Well if we go to 2000BC I suppose the players were about 3ft 8" 
  • Options

Well if we go to 2000BC I suppose the players were about 3ft 8" 
    And they probably would have had a valid claim to make the pitches smaller. :)
  • Options
    On live YouTube.
  • Options
    Live on youtube now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwbFA8OO1Y 0-0 so far.
  • Options
    1 nil up
  • Options
    2-0 now
  • Options
    3-0!