Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• Options
    It's not the size of the goal that needs changing ..... the top women players don't have any problem.

Down through the levels you can see standards rising all the time; it's a work in progress.
    Let's ask this question again in 10 years time. Maybe we won't need to.

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Hate to say it, as it’s the old cliché with women’s football, but the goalkeeping for the goal was appalling.
    We've talked about it before, the powers that be should consider making the cross bar a few in inches lower. Women by nature are a few inches shorter than men. 

If I remember I'll turn in and watch next Sunday. 
    Maybe that’s a debate for another day, but this was nothing to do with the size of the goal. One of our girls took a relatively tame shot along the ground. It should have been end of move right there. Goalie inexplicably failed to gather it and miscontrolled the ball, dropping it at the feet of our player and she put it away. 
    This. It is patronising to suggest women should play with smaller goals. The game was 1-1. Not 9 -8 and it doesn't seem to me that there are too many unusual scores at the highest level of the women's game.

There are women goalkeepers today that show the size of the goal is not an issue.  I believe we will see improvements as time goes on. Keeping is such a technical position and we need to see the female keepers who have come out of a full process.

I thought our keeper looked promising though. Her handling was very good. She is young and I hope she is getting some top coaching now the women's club has become part of the overall club again. 
    You have misunderstood.

I didn't see the game. I was generally referencing women's goal keeping as the OP mentioned the word cliché.

It's not patronising, it's a physical observation. They have been debating it at the top level for sometime.

I've worked with the lionesses and have something coming up with Beth England soon. I've had long in depth conversations with professional women footballers. 

Lots of sports make concessions based on physical attributes. 

I could put stuff on here that I've been told by pro players, but would get absolute pelters for it.

Back to the cafc women's team, I'm sure they've got enough in the tank to stay up.
  • Options
    I believe it would be detrimental to the long term development of the women's game if dimensions be any different, whether that be goals, distance of penalty spot, length of pitch or anything. It would mean you have to have different pitches and different equipment for the women's game. This would be doable at professional level but not at grass roots. The aim should be to get more women and girls playing, not just make it easier for professionals! 
  • Options
    Eartha Cumings the goalkeeper had a good game. She certainly doesn't need a crossbar lowered.
  • Options
    I watched Bristol City v Reading last night and I think Cummings looks a lot better than both keepers on show. We got her from Bristol City didn't we.
  • Options
    Away at Sheffield United this afternoon. As far as I can see it isn't being streamed anywhere (unless anyone knows different?) so I'll be following on the CAFCWomen twitter account. This is going to be a tough one; Sheffield are full-time pros and about the same level as Liverpool, but without the snow to level things up. It will be a huge achievement if we can get anything out of this one, but we've shown we can do it when we're at our best.

Remaining games after this (generally 2pm Sunday kick-off)
    25 March (Thurs, 8pm) Palace
    28 March (4pm, on FA Player) Lionesses
    4 April Bees
    11 April week off
    18 April FA Cup, opponents to be confirmed 11/4
    25 April Durham
    2 May Leicester
  • Options
    Agreed. Shame there isn't a stream. It is a good way to promote the women's side to the fans.
  • Options
    could they not stream it on twitter or something? they're able to do all these links to pre match but cant just leave the camera rolling for the actual game. 
  • Options
    Coventry losing 2-0 to Liverpool. We are 0-0 I think.
  • Options
    Still 0-0 after 50 minutes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Losing 1-0 after 53 mins
  • Options
    75mins
    Liverpool 4 Coventry 0
    Sheff Utd 1 Charlton 0
  • Options
    Lost 1-0
  • Options
    thanks Muttley
  • Options
    I watched Bristol City v Reading last night and I think Cummings looks a lot better than both keepers on show. We got her from Bristol City didn't we.
    Yeah I think so too, she made a quality save in the 1v1 vs Sheffield yesterday. Surprised Bristol would let go of her. 
  • Options

Sheff Utd 1 Charlton 0

Oh, sh*te. Sheffield United came good.

• Options
    Highlights are up on the YouTube channel. We had a few decent opportunities but overall it was the Eartha Cummings show and could easily have been a much bigger margin. Some good defending, which is a plus point for the future. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjNj_P9owtI
  • Options
    Sky Sports have not long announced that womens football from Tier three to tier six will been cancelled with immediate effect - Seems there will be no promotion or relegation subject to FA approval.

Guess that could potentially work in our favour this year? 
  • Options
    Because of COVID? Are the far behind with matches?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leagues below the championship haven't played since the 13th December. Even before then games were postponed. In then southern division Cardiff have only played 4 games.

A let off for Hounslow, 8 games, all losses no goals for and 42 against!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My old club are tier 5 and 6 ....... everything suspended since 13th December.

Expect their season will be cancelled also.

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Will be a massive change going full time for the current players and staff, maybe Kit will come back!
  • Options
    So what does this mean for Riteesh Mishra? The article says he’s still in place, but surely there can’t be two managers moving forward? Seems a bit harsh on him if he just gets the spanish after his hard work this year.
  • Options
    So what does this mean for Riteesh Mishra? The article says he’s still in place, but surely there can’t be two managers moving forward? Seems a bit harsh on him if he just gets the spanish after his hard work this year.
    It reads as though Riteesh is managing the on field stuff and Karen is managing the transition into a full time club. 
  • Options
    Thomas certainly likes to get his key management figures in position ........ and is going for experience and track record.
    And to feel he can trust and relate to them.

I wonder who he's got in mind for the Mens' 1st team manager?

• Options
    Thomas Sandgaard having the same ambition for the men and Women's team is excellent. 
    Would be great if Kit Graham could be a full time pro back at Cafc some time soon.

Enjoyed seeing Cafc women do the double over Palace and also beat Millwall a couple of years back when Kit Graham and Liz Ejupi were a good pair of strikers at championship level.
  • Options
    This looks like a great appointment. She did an excellent job with Spurs, building them up from ground level. The top 4 or 5 in the Championship are already full-time, so winning promotion won't be easy, but it's an essential step if we're serious about competing at the top of the league and eventually reaching the big time.

I don't know how many of the players have other jobs that will prevent them making the switch from 18 hours a week to full-time, but we have the advantage that there's no rule to stop us keeping a part-time player for a season or two if necessary. So not automatically like when we went up to the Championship and at least one key player had to leave because she couldn't commit to the hours.

Really fantastic news, and fills me with optimism for TS's plans for the men's team, too.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Yes good news for the club.