Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton women news - (2024-25 fixtures p78)

Comments

• Our policy in the past has only really to offer 1 year contracts. I certainly think we should be looking to offer longer for those (or at least most of those you mentioned). 
    Rutherford is really about injury I suspect. She didn't start a game last year. Ironically had she been fit all year we might have got those extra couple of points. Addison was really promising the previous year and the start of last season. However badly lost her way. 
  • The FA have announced the makeup of the divisions for the top 6 tiers of the women's game for next season. No surprises at our level - as expected we've lost Palace, Lewes and Watford and gained Bristol, Newcastle and Portsmouth. 
  • The FA have announced the makeup of the divisions for the top 6 tiers of the women's game for next season. No surprises at our level - as expected we've lost Palace, Lewes and Watford and gained Bristol, Newcastle and Portsmouth. 
    So 3 long trips to the north.
    Durham, Newcastle and Sunderland.

• Strange that the club has not reported Louise McGing's resignation.

She did a great job last season.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Strange that the club has not reported Louise McGing's resignation.

For those of us with only a passing interest in the women's team .. who is she?
  • Kap10 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Strange that the club has not reported Louise McGing's resignation.

For those of us with only a passing interest in the women's team .. who is she?
    She was the General Manager. Amongst a lot of good work for the team she secured the finance for the new pitch at the Valley as part of the deal to allow the women's team to play all their games there next season.
  • Eek. The Guardian have a story that Reading may not be able to afford a budget to have players paid the minimum number of hours for this league, which would mean relegation to tier 3 or lower. Given that Lewes and Watford will be well into the process of planning for tier 3 I can't imagine either would fancy a reprieve at this late stage. So if there's anything in to Guardian's story we might be in a division of 11 next season.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/18/reading-may-not-be-able-to-compete-in-womens-championship-next-season
  • So I've got 7 days to renew my season ticket at the early bird price.

The lack of any updates means there are apparently just enough contracted players for a 5 a side game.

Only mention of a pre season game is away to Oxford which no doubt Karen will want played behind closed doors.

Hardly an incentive.
  • Crusty54 said:
    So I've got 7 days to renew my season ticket at the early bird price.

The lack of any updates means there are apparently just enough contracted players for a 5 a side game.

Only mention of a pre season game is away to Oxford which no doubt Karen will want played behind closed doors.

Hardly an incentive.
    Like others I received many emails from the club offering myself a free ticket bar the last game where it was half price 

If I paid full price for a season ticket last year, why would I bother buying another one when they were giving them away for free

• Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    So I've got 7 days to renew my season ticket at the early bird price.

Hardly an incentive.
    Like others I received many emails from the club offering myself a free ticket bar the last game where it was half price 

If I paid full price for a season ticket last year, why would I bother buying another one when they were giving them away for free

no mention of that for the coming season
  • Gave in and bought my season ticket yesterday.

The computer was being awkward and wouldn't process it at the window. Had to be done as a telephone sale.
  • The Championship is going to be very competitive. A new general manager to be announced soon but signing new players has to be a priority.

Meanwhile London City Lionesses have announced a new manager, bought a training facility and done a 5 year deal to play their home games at Bromley. They have a squad of about 20 players.
  • On the flip side Reading's Women's Team look like they're about to pull out of the league because of lack of funding. Will be interesting to see what happens if they do. It's a bit late to try and move someone up a tier.

League might just go with 11 teams and only 1 relegation place.
  • On the flip side Reading's Women's Team look like they're about to pull out of the league because of lack of funding. Will be interesting to see what happens if they do. It's a bit late to try and move someone up a tier.

https://womensleagues.thefa.com/fa-womens-professional-game-statement-reading-fc-women/
  • edited June 30
    I see Reading have moved from the top league to tier 5, I wonder if any of their players would be useful to us
  • shirty5 said:
    On the flip side Reading's Women's Team look like they're about to pull out of the league because of lack of funding. Will be interesting to see what happens if they do. It's a bit late to try and move someone up a tier.

https://womensleagues.thefa.com/fa-womens-professional-game-statement-reading-fc-women/
    so there will now only be 10 home games this season. Even last year there was sometimes over a month between home games. How is the club expected to gain any momentum with supporters. 
  • ross1 said:
    I see Reading have moved from the top league to tier 5, I wonder if any of their players would be useful to us
    Only 4 players are under contract. Reading did not exercise options to extend contracts for any of the others.

Charlie Estcourt is one of the 4 and she had a time on loan with Charlton a few years back.
  • Very disappointing to lose a club before the season even starts, and I guess it emphasises how much the teams at this level need a big organisation behind them to be competitive. But I guess if they didn't have the funds it's better that they withdraw now when there's an option to drop down the leagues and rebuild. It'll be a pain to have a couple of weekends when everyone else is playing but we get a gap in the fixtures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bit of a difficult time for women's football. The wave can never last forever and all the Lioness support fever has started to die down enough that teams feel comfortable pulling back on their spending. Reading are just a mess but it's become clear that Man Utd aren't interested in focusing any effort on their women's team. Earps has walked and agents are telling players not to go there as there's not going to be enough support from the club. I wouldn't be shocked to see Chelsea start to pull back a bit as well under their owners, I really hope that ours don't see what I think will be a growing trend in scaling back and do it to our team. It's been nice actually having a good Charlton team to follow recently.
  • Bit of a difficult time for women's football. The wave can never last forever and all the Lioness support fever has started to die down enough that teams feel comfortable pulling back on their spending. Reading are just a mess but it's become clear that Man Utd aren't interested in focusing any effort on their women's team. Earps has walked and agents are telling players not to go there as there's not going to be enough support from the club. I wouldn't be shocked to see Chelsea start to pull back a bit as well under their owners, I really hope that ours don't see what I think will be a growing trend in scaling back and do it to our team. It's been nice actually having a good Charlton team to follow recently.
    Hopefully they see it as a chance to invest and close the gap a bit
  • Birmingham City women have announced the signing of charlton fullback Rebecca Mckenna, definitely going to be a massive loss for us, imo the best one on one defender in the league and on obviously was voted player of the year by the fans last season 🙌 Wish becca nothing but the best🙌

Lets hope our business can get up and running very soon

Also who else do birmingham want from us? they’ve taken May and Now becca

• Bit out of order putting it on a chopping board.
  • edited July 1
    It's a shame that Rebecca McKenna has chosen to move to Birmingham Women rather than sign a new contract. How many more of last season's squad could be moving? 

It probably doesn't help that the new General Manager doesn't start until the middle of the month.
  • Tegan Mcgowan has also announced that she will be leaving the club, another huge blow for sure, feel like she came into form nearer the end of the season especially after going through that acl injury. Not a clue what is happening but we need to step it up very soon and get some signings over the line🙌
  • @Weegie Addick we may need to dig our boots out 😳
  • edited July 1
    Tegan is another that was offered a new contract.

Only 5 players have a contract for the new season.
  • Shit, Tegan had just hit a point where she looked very dangerous and McKenna was fantastic last season. Two massive losses. Still no news on whether Roe and Skeels have renewed. If they decide to go elsewhere it'll be a total rebuild with our best players gone. Troubling.
  • @Weegie Addick we may need to dig our boots out 😳
    Eek! Wouldn’t wish that on Karen 🤣