Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton women news - (2024-25 fixtures p78)

Comments

• There's a friendly against Dulwich (who were promoted to the fourth tier last season) on Thursday. Sadly it's behind closed doors with Charlton not even allowing any media presence, which is a shame.

https://x.com/DHFC_W/status/1815043679817523260
  • It's likely to be a while before we get reliable info on venues for away games or for kickoff times. Games against the three northernmost clubs may continue to kick off early to help clubs with the journey back and last year the timings of games were all over the place during the period when we're playing but the WSL hasn't started yet, which this season is the first two weeks. Some games may also shift from Sundays to Saturdays.

Other than us moving home league games to the Valley, the only club I've heard have definitely changed their arrangements for home games is Lionesses, who are at Bromley not Dartford. They have reportedly got plans to develop their own ground at the place they currently use for training, but that's not going to be relevant this season.
  • It's likely to be a while before we get reliable info on venues for away games or for kickoff times. Games against the three northernmost clubs may continue to kick off early to help clubs with the journey back and last year the timings of games were all over the place during the period when we're playing but the WSL hasn't started yet, which this season is the first two weeks. Some games may also shift from Sundays to Saturdays.

Other than us moving home league games to the Valley, the only club I've heard have definitely changed their arrangements for home games is Lionesses, who are at Bromley not Dartford. They have reportedly got plans to develop their own ground at the place they currently use for training, but that's not going to be relevant this season.
    The Bromley arrangement was announced as 5 years.
  • The move to YouTube could be down to the WSL and Championship being run by the Newco.
  • For those who want to do some advance planning of away games, Portsmouth play at Havant & Waterlooville FC. Newcastle played last season at the Newcastle rugby ground.
  • Pre-season friendly at the Valley on Sunday 1 Sept against Villa. No info yet on ticket prices.
  • Ellie Brazil joins from Spurs, 25 years old and a striker, she's 5'8 so passes the (women's team) height test. Had 2 ACL injuries already in her career so is a bit of a risk, and hasn't exactly been prolific so far, but hopefully she's another piece of the puzzle
  • Also Gary Brazil's daughter which is fun
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting news from the FA: League games will be moving from the FA Player to YouTube. That potentially saves a lot of faffing around with logging in. Not clear from the announcement if there will be more games streamed live - they say "selected" games, which last season meant one Championship game per weekend.
    Don't have to carry the overheads of running your own platform, and can make advertising money as well 
  • Fixtures, sorted into home and away. The list I was looking at doesn't give kickoff times; we'd expect it to be the same as recent years, 2pm for most games but 12 noon if it's Sunderland, Durham or presumably Newcastle. The occasional fixture may move to a Saturday instead of the Sunday and some clubs will play occasional games at their main ground if they don't use it regularly. Expect kickoff times for the first few weeks to be all over the place as we're starting earlier than the WSL due to the Olympics.

There will be league cup games which usually include a couple at home. Dates for these will be negotiated once the draw's done. These games will be midweek.

Home

8 Sept Portsmouth
    22 Sept Durham
    6 Oct Sunderland
    3 Nov Southampton
    17 Nov Bristol City
    8 Dec FA Cup round 3 (draw TBC)
    26 Jan Sheffield United
    2 Feb Blackburn Rovers
    2 Mar London City Lionesses
    23 Mar Birmingham City
    20 Apr Newcastle United
    27 Apr no game due to Reading withdrawing

Away

15 Sept Sheffield United
    29 Sept Blackburn Rovers
    13 Oct London City Lionesses
    20 Oct Newcastle United
    10 Nov no game due to Reading withdrawing
    15 Dec Birmingham City
    19 Jan Durham
    16 Feb Portsmouth
    16 Mar Bristol City
    30 Mar Sunderland
    4 May Southampton

• She was appointed several weeks ago and started work in early August but they chose not to announce it until today.
  • Could an admin amend the thread title to say (2024-25 fixtures p78)?
  • Just been on the Sheff Utd website and it says we play them on Saturday 14th at 5:30
  • Here's a link to the official WSL site, set with a filter to only show our game in each week. I don't fully trust the claimed kickoff times yet other than for games already advertised on the home club's website or that have tickets on offer. But the indication that the 22 Sept game against Durham will be a noon kickoff as usual seems reliable. Blackburn away on 29 Sept looks like being a noon kickoff at Ewood Park. That's somewhere I've never seen us play so it's a tempting one.

https://womensleagues.thefa.com/fixtures/?clubs=charlton-athletic&week=week-5&league=barclays-womens-championship
  • Away games with provisional details added from the league website:

Sat 14 Sept Sheffield United 5.30pm at Bramall Lane
    29 Sept Blackburn Rovers 12 noon at Ewood Park
    13 Oct London City Lionesses 2pm at Hayes Lane (Bromley FC)
    20 Oct Newcastle United 12 noon at Kingston Park (Newcastle Falcons RFC)
    15 Dec Birmingham City 3pm at St Andrew's
    19 Jan Durham 1pm at Maiden Castle
    16 Feb Portsmouth 3pm at Westleigh Park (Havant & Waterlooville FC)
    16 Mar Bristol City 3pm at Ashton Gate
    30 Mar Sunderland 2pm at Eppleton Colliery ground
    4 May Southampton time TBC, at St Mary's
  • My season ticket has arrived - as usual, the advice would be that if you don't receive it over the next few days call the ticket office.

Tickets are on sale from the website for the pre-season match against Villa (1 Sept) and the first two league games, Portsmouth on 8 Sept and Durham on 22 Sept. The link on the website says they're all 2pm kickoffs but the FA site says the Durham game is at noon and our games against them always kick off at noon when the clubs have a say in the times. So trust the FA site rather than ours.
  • Sponsored links:

• My season ticket has arrived - as usual, the advice would be that if you don't receive it over the next few days call the ticket office.

Tickets are on sale from the website for the pre-season match against Villa (1 Sept) and the first two league games, Portsmouth on 8 Sept and Durham on 22 Sept. The link on the website says they're all 2pm kickoffs but the FA site says the Durham game is at noon and our games against them always kick off at noon when the clubs have a say in the times. So trust the FA site rather than ours.
    Mine and daughters arrived today. Took her to a couple of games last season, so first time having a season ticket for her.
  • Probably most tenuous bit of news but had half of the women's first team squad on my train home this evening, all had suitcases so guess they were training at a camp, Think they were all heading back to the training ground. 

Would of thought the club could of paid for a mini bus back or something rather than braving rush hour southeastern 
  • Bunk said:
    Probably most tenuous bit of news but had half of the women's first team squad on my train home this evening, all had suitcases so guess they were training at a camp, Think they were all heading back to the training ground. 

Would of thought the club could of paid for a mini bus back or something rather than braving rush hour southeastern 
    They've been in Marbella training for the last few days. So I guess on the way back from the airport.
  • So trust the FA site rather than ours.
    But of course the FA aren't in charge now.
  • Crusty54 said:
    So trust the FA site rather than ours.
    That's true. Presumably the new company will take over running the website at some point.

I've just seen that the news item about tickets going on sale has the ko time correct; it's only the ticket page that has it wrong. The game's at noon.
  • Crusty54 said:
    That's true. Presumably the new company will take over running the website at some point.

I've just seen that the news item about tickets going on sale has the ko time correct; it's only the ticket page that has it wrong. The game's at noon.
    The website seems to still have very loose connections with the women's team.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Crusty54 said:

The website seems to still have very loose connections with the women's team.
    Sorry, I meant to say I thought maybe the new company will take over the FA WSL website. The original WSL did do some pf the media and publishing stuff for the clubs, but I can't see the much bigger operations playing in the WSL nowadays being interested in that. I can see the FA wanting to offload their residual responsibilities, though.
  • League cup: We've got a seriously tough draw: Palace, Spurs and Villa. A great opportunity for some games against WSL opposition.

The games will be on 2 or 3 October, 23 or 24 November and 11 or 12 December. Either one or two will be at home, the choice of dates and venues being done by negotiation between the clubs. It's likely to be a while before details are announced. Championship ground grading rules don't apply to these games so home games won't necessarily be at the Valley. 

The only wrinkle is that if Arsenal fail to qualify for Europe there's a 1 in 3 chance of them being added to our group. In which case add 16 or 17 Oct and 13 or 14 Nov to the list of dates, but 1 of the resulting list of 5 will be a week off.

I still think of this as the Continental Cup, but apparently the sponsorship's ended.
  • League cup: We've got a seriously tough draw: Palace, Spurs and Villa. A great opportunity for some games against WSL opposition.

The games will be on 2 or 3 October, 23 or 24 November and 11 or 12 December. Either one or two will be at home, the choice of dates and venues being done by negotiation between the clubs. It's likely to be a while before details are announced. Championship ground grading rules don't apply to these games so home games won't necessarily be at the Valley. 

The only wrinkle is that if Arsenal fail to qualify for Europe there's a 1 in 3 chance of them being added to our group. In which case add 16 or 17 Oct and 13 or 14 Nov to the list of dates, but 1 of the resulting list of 5 will be a week off.

I still think of this as the Continental Cup, but apparently the sponsorship's ended.
    I suspect they got tyred of sponsoring it!
  • There's now a YouTube channel for the Championship. No content yet, but this looks like being the new home for highlights etc. According to the club website our first live broadcast on the channel will be the 5 October home game against Sunderland.

https://www.youtube.com/@BarclaysWC/videos