Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton women news - (2024-25 fixtures p78)

Comments

• edited September 13
  • A three minute highlights clip of the Portsmouth game has gone up on the club YouTube site. Some good goals in there, but the crowd doesn't look particularly big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4K5MN7l7EE
    The attendance was 632
  • shirty5 said:
    A three minute highlights clip of the Portsmouth game has gone up on the club YouTube site. Some good goals in there, but the crowd doesn't look particularly big.

The attendance was 632
    OK, so still quite a big step up from the 300-400 we'd probably have expected at the Oakwood. And lots of room for growth as we get further into the season.
  • That partnership between Barton and Brazil looked very good. Won't get such helpful defenders every game but it looked like they were very in sync with their play off long balls up the pitch
  • shirty5 said:
    A three minute highlights clip of the Portsmouth game has gone up on the club YouTube site. Some good goals in there, but the crowd doesn't look particularly big.

The attendance was 632
    OK, so still quite a big step up from the 300-400 we'd probably have expected at the Oakwood. And lots of room for growth as we get further into the season.
    Quite a bit down from normal Valley games though which I believe have neared the 1,000. I repeat my previous comment about the affect of it following on from a Men's Saturday game. Disappointingly I note at least both our next 2 home league games clash as well.
  • redman said:
    shirty5 said:

The attendance was 632
    Quite a bit down from normal Valley games though which I believe have neared the 1,000. I repeat my previous comment about the affect of it following on from a Men's Saturday game. Disappointingly I note at least both our next 2 home league games clash as well.
    and no more freebies to Men's Season ticket holders
  • redman said:
    shirty5 said:

The attendance was 632
    and I repeat my comment that the club doesn't choose the dates of the fixtures. We just have to live with it.
  • shirty5 said:

The attendance was 632
    The last home game back in April had an attendance of 985. A third down from last Sunday 

The first home game at the Valley last season had a gate of 932 (Sheffield United) last august

From my understanding there was no freebies on other last Sunday.

Has that decision alone, had that much of an effect on the attendance dropping by 300+
  • Crusty54 said:
    redman said:
    shirty5 said:

The attendance was 632
    and I repeat my comment that the club doesn't choose the dates of the fixtures. We just have to live with it.
    Yes and I do have a memory. I am just pointing out it is a big factor. I know several people who didn't attend because of this. It wouldn't surprise me if the overall effect was well over 3 figures. It may not be the club's doing but it is A BIG FACTOR!
  • redman said:
    Crusty54 said:
    redman said:
    shirty5 said:

The attendance was 632
    Yes and I do have a memory. I am just pointing out it is a big factor. I know several people who didn't attend because of this. It wouldn't surprise me if the overall effect was well over 3 figures. It may not be the club's doing but it is A BIG FACTOR!
    I might actually make the 22nd as I am away on the 21st and will miss the men's game.
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

The attendance was 632
    The last home game back in April had an attendance of 985. A third down from last Sunday 

The first home game at the Valley last season had a gate of 932 (Sheffield United) last august

From my understanding there was no freebies on other last Sunday.

Has that decision alone, had that much of an effect on the attendance dropping by 300+
    Louise McGinn the former General Manager put a lot of effort into building the crowd at that April game. She was in contact with a lot of girls teams to build the interest in the team. She hoped to break the 1,000.
  • edited September 14
    Winning 1 nil at Sheff Utd (84 mins gone). Brazil again. If it stays the same, both teams will be in second place.
  • redman said:
    Crusty54 said:
    redman said:
    shirty5 said:

The attendance was 632
    Yeah, it will be. It doesn't matter to me, I'm ten minutes' walk away, but people come big distances to The Valley on a Saturday; and it's a big ask to expect them to repeat it the next day, particularly as public transport's worse on Sundays and the roads are just as bad (in some cases worse).

I think they can build a crowd at The Valley, though, but a lot of it will be people who wouldn't necessarily come on Saturdays. And it'll take time. If they can market at local families - and girls' teams, as mentioned already - it'll be a start. I'm in SE7, but I've seen no local publicity for the women's team's arrival, and that's a real shame. Palace are still playing most women's matches at Sutton, Millwall Lionesses are three tiers below, so there's a real opportunity locally if they want to grasp it. 

What really doesn't help is the effective general media blackout on the Women's Championship because it's all about the league above - I was hoping that this evening's 5.30ko at Bramall Lane would have some YouTube coverage, but no. So Charlton will have to bang the drum themselves. 

Obviously it's a more affluent neighbourhood, but Dulwich got over 800 for their fourth-tier season opener against Norwich and 1,142 for a fifth-tier match against Enfield Town at Easter - and nobody covers those leagues - but that's taken a few years of work. So it can be done. 
  • edited September 14
  • edited September 15
    All over them really judging by those highlights, I suspect their keeper won POTM
  • Also reckon we should get our women in to give a masterclass in corners and crosses, so many lovely long balls in both games so far
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    Also reckon we should get our women in to give a masterclass in corners and crosses, so many lovely long balls in both games so far
    I think Nathan and Curtis Fleming saw that whilst watching the Portsmouth game. Pressed so well too.

Hope the guys were made to watch the video of the game.
  • sam3110 said:
    All over them really judging by those highlights, I suspect their keeper won POTM
    Our former keeper Sian Rogers. Never really understood why she suddenly stopped getting games but then Hills is quite weird with keepers.
  • That's a real shame. We've had so many of those recently. Must be our 5th or 6th in the past few years
  • Great finish from Brazil there.
  • edited September 15
    That's a real shame. We've had so many of those recently. Must be our 5th or 6th in the past few years
    It's the fifth player but Ella Rutherford had two.

That leaves just 18 in the squad. Could be in trouble if we get suspensions.
  • ACL injuries are rampant throughout the women's game unfortunately. A lot more research is needed in this area. I was reading an article on this the other day giving some theories on how women should be training to alleviate this. How important it is to realise women are not men, have different body shapes (including different Q angle and knee joints), their cycles, and therefore need to train very differently from men. I suspect this is a major part of problem. 
  • 22 Sep: Durham, HOME, 12 noon. At The Valley. £10 adult, £7 over-65, £6 under-25, £5 under-18
    29 Sep: Blackburn Rovers, away. 12 noon. At Ewood Park. £10 adult, £8 over-65, £6 under-18, £4 under-12. Tickets from here.
    2 Oct (Weds): Tottenham Hotspur (League Cup), HOME, 7.15pm. At The Valley. Prices to be confirmed.
    6 Oct: Sunderland, HOME, 2pm. At The Valley. £10 adult, £7 over-65, £6 under-25, £5 under-18. Also live on YouTube.
    13 Oct: London City Lionesses, away. 2pm. At Hayes Lane (Bromley FC). £13 adult, £9 over-65, £9 under-23, £7 under-18. Tickets from here (sold by Bromley). 
    20 Oct: Newcastle United, away, 12 noon. At Kingston Park (Newcastle Falcons RFC). £8.75 adult, £3.75 concessions. Tickets from here (not on sale yet).

Newcastle ticket prices are the prices for the main West stand - it's slightly cheaper for the terraces at either end. From Google it looks like the north end is uncovered, the west stand and south terrace both have a roof.
  • redman said:
    ACL injuries are rampant throughout the women's game unfortunately. A lot more research is needed in this area. I was reading an article on this the other day giving some theories on how women should be training to alleviate this. How important it is to realise women are not men, have different body shapes (including different Q angle and knee joints), their cycles, and therefore need to train very differently from men. I suspect this is a major part of problem. 
    I’m pretty sure Beth Mead is involved in a current research project into this issue. 
  • Great finish from Brazil there.
    Her finishing in the first two games reminds me a lot of Darren Bent. And huge credit to Carla Humphrey for the assist on Saturday - a great run and a nicely weighted pass.

Really sad news about Mia Ross though, and all the best to her for her recovery.

Before the game on Saturday, the club tweeted "Might be useful to remember this Addicks..." about how despite the transfer window closing on Friday, deals can still be announced in the coming days. So hopefully there'll be another incoming signing announced soon. After all, as Crusty54 said above, the squad is not very big.

Really looking forward to Sunday's game v Durham, the only other side to have won both games so far.