Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tour of New Zealand, 2017/18 (with no cricket in 2017)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I don't usually mind Graeme Swann as much as some on here, though obviously he has an ego the size of the MCG, but he was winding me up something rotten this morning ranting about anyone who thinks Bayliss should be removed as being like football fans always blaming the manager etc.

He then started saying the issues are how the batsmen aren't playing the swinging ball correctly etc.

Yes, Graeme, because of the coaching. He couldn't seem to see how one might be related to the other. Tit.
  • Options
    Pathetic batting performance.

Even more truncated build up than normal, 2 contrived 2 day games and a head coach who's record in away Tests is dismal. And we can't blame fast bouncy pitches this time
  • Options
    Why don't we play every Test like it is a fifty over game? Serious question.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Our innings lasted 20.4 overs, maybe the players thought they were playing a T20 match...
  • Options

dickplumb said:

Our innings lasted 20.4 overs, maybe the players thought they were playing a T20 match...
    Par score for a T20 would be about 160 - we barely scraped 50.
  • Options
    Weather forecast looks promising. Could be raining till Monday. Fingers crossed.
  • Options

Weather forecast looks promising. Could be raining till Monday. Fingers crossed.

After 3.5 days of rain, New Zealand declare at tea on the 5th day. Then bowl England out for 67 in 10 overs

"I was really impressed with the attacking intent shown by the players. This is the aggressive cricket we've been working on" said Bayliss.
  • Options

Limbering up as we speak.....
  • Options

No. We need to finish this match and hopefully it will send a wake up call to the players who think they are far better than they are and moreover a wake up call to the ECB to sort our game out before it disappears completely.
  • Options
    As Agnew said on the BBC - and he said this after The Ashes as well - our preparation for this tour is an utter disgrace.

No proper first class matches - just a couple of hit and giggles - and then you're bowled out for 58 in the Test.

None of our lot have played any first class Cricket since January 7th so that's 11 weeks without a proper game.

Join the fucking dots.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    18th Test Century for Kane Williamson - the highest number for any New Zealand player.

Congratulations, great achievement.
  • Options

As Agnew said on the BBC - and he said this after The Ashes as well - our preparation for this tour is an utter disgrace.

No proper first class matches - just a couple of hit and giggles - and then you're bowled out for 58 in the Test.

None of our lot have played any first class Cricket since January 7th so that's 11 weeks without a proper game.

Join the fucking dots.

I agree but also it has to be pointed out that this is Kane Williamson's first 1st Class game this year. Our preparation is crap and has been for years but it is just part of the problem.
  • Options
    On the game - we look powder puff with the ball.

Woakes - too short, but tidy.
    Overton - very nothingy.
    Broad - the best of the four, hitting a better length.
    Jimmy - Only bowled one over (first over with the new ball) and it was beyond atrocious - let's hope he loosens up.

Williamson looks like Williamson and impressed with Nicholls, very few loose shots.
  • Options
    They're off for rain.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Join the fucking dots.

I agree but also it has to be pointed out that this is Kane Williamson's first 1st Class game this year. Our preparation is crap and has been for years but it is just part of the problem.
    True but Williamson is playing in his home conditions so has less need to acclimatize - accepting that NZ conditions are not too dissimilar to England.
  • Options

Overton - very nothingy.
    Jimmy - Only bowled one over (first over with the new ball) and it was beyond atrocious - let's hope he loosens up.

Williamson looks like Williamson and impressed with Nicholls, very few loose shots.

What do I know? He was warming up with an over with the old ball. (Still bowled shit).

New ball taken.

• Options

Overton - very nothingy.

What do I know? He was warming up with an over with the old ball. (Still bowled shit).

New ball taken.

And he's just bowled an absolutely unplayable beauty to trap Williamson LBW for 102. Never doubt the great man. :-)

• Options
    What would we do without Jimmy? Great cricketer and still enjoys a chat, as Nicholls is finding out at the moment
  • Options
    4 tastey looking burgers

looks like a charlton away end
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Danepak said:

Wet Wet Wet are playing

Are those potato croquettes?
  • Options
    Afghanistan beat Ireland by 5 wickets with 5 balls to spare to reach the WC Finals along with the Windies

Australia 188-8 and 123 behind S Africa
  • Options

Afghanistan beat Ireland by 5 wickets with 5 balls to spare to reach the WC Finals along with the Windies

Australia 188-8 and 123 behind S Africa

Steve Smith's scores in that series: 56, 38, 25, 11, 5

Oh dear, never mind... :-)
  • Options
    @Danepak

Can't say virtual flags of abuse have much of a bearing on my life, but can't see what on earth I've said wrong here haha
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Join the fucking dots.

As much I know you will hate to learn this Riviera, age group county cricket is becoming more and more focused on quick scoring and funky shots rather than technique. The expectation when you reach that standard is that a player already has the technique to be able to bat but, more often that not, this isn't the case and the quick 30, 40 or even 50 in a limited overs game masks the basic inadequacies.

It's even got to the stage where the ECB, as a result of an initiative from Strauss, that more county age group matches T20 matches are played. In fact the U15s now play in coloured clothing regardless of the nature of the match!

If we're not careful we will go in the opposite direction to football - the old days of the big centre back hoofing it to the quick big lad up front in academy football are, hopefully, a thing of the past whereas in cricket we could see a breed of batsmen with long leavers bullying their way through the system to the detriment of the smaller players with better touch and technique.
  • Options

@Danepak

Can't say virtual flags of abuse have much of a bearing on my life, but can't see what on earth I've said wrong here haha

Yes, they were a bit weird, who flagged you?
  • Options

Riviera said:

Join the fucking dots.

As much I know you will hate to learn this Riviera, age group county cricket is becoming more and more focused on quick scoring and funky shots rather than technique. The expectation when you reach that standard is that a player already has the technique to be able to bat but, more often that not, this isn't the case and the quick 30, 40 or even 50 in a limited overs game masks the basic inadequacies.

It's even got to the stage where the ECB, as a result of an initiative from Strauss, that more county age group matches T20 matches are played. In fact the U15s now play in coloured clothing regardless of the nature of the match!

If we're not careful we will go in the opposite direction to football - the old days of the big centre back hoofing it to the quick big lad up front in academy football are, hopefully, a thing of the past whereas in cricket we could see a breed of batsmen with long leavers bullying their way through the system to the detriment of the smaller players with better touch and technique.
    The thing is, in Britain people (as in the general public) still care about Test cricket, we're not a country where everyone is happy for cricket to be all about T20 slogathons (which I enjoy as well).

Commercially Test matches in England are still big business as well, 5 days at Lord's or the Oval must generate a decent income for the game. In alcohol sales if nothing else!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Well there's Oand As usual suspect who contributes to this thread who enjoys a flag or two to massage his flagging

Ego

Though in this case it may instead be Dane pak who has mis flagged?