Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tour of New Zealand, 2017/18 (with no cricket in 2017)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018

I was also told by someone many years ago who played with Lehmann at Yorkshire that he was a great bloke and the best batsman he ever played with. However, there is no doubt that he allowed his team to play and act in a way (not just in respect of the tampering) in a way that simply isn't cricket.

I worked in Leeds for 2 years whilst Lehmann was playing for Yorkshire and had a chat with him on a couple of occasions - and i concur that he was a good guy with a big heart, and certainly had no worries chatting to me at some length. Also came into the indoor nets there and gave some open advice to the (external) guys who were netting .
    "Sandpaper the ball, it's swing like a dingo's donger!"
  • Options
    Leach starts
  • Options
    Moeen's on the bench though
  • Options
    iamdan said:

Leach starts

Crazy. I admit that I don't watch county games or have any knowledge of players etc but listening to Sky preview last night the stats at this ground says that a spinner is not needed & hardly any wickets are taken by spin.

Also dropping Woakes doesn't make much sense, and with Vince coming in Root drop down to 4 - no wonder Kane Williamson chose to bowl, we will be 4 down in no time. If there is no rain this game will be over by the 4th day.
  • Options
    Golfie in optimistic mood.
  • Options

iamdan said:

Leach starts

Crazy. I admit that I don't watch county games or have any knowledge of players etc but listening to Sky preview last night the stats at this ground says that a spinner is not needed & hardly any wickets are taken by spin.

Also dropping Woakes doesn't make much sense, and with Vince coming in Root drop down to 4 - no wonder Kane Williamson chose to bowl, we will be 4 down in no time. If there is no rain this game will be over by the 4th day.
    Good lad. Good to see you're back to normal.
  • Options

Golfie in optimistic mood.

The snow will save us.
  • Options
    Seems we are back to the bad old days where a poor batting performance results in three bowlers getting dropped.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Seems we are back to the bad old days where a poor batting performance results in three bowlers getting dropped.

to be fair , Ali has had it coming for about 6 months.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Chizz said:

Bad batting and bad bowling. We haven't taken twenty wickets in an away test match since November 2016.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Christ, we're looking awful. I think on reflection Golfie was perhaps optimistic.
  • Options
    6-1, 2.4 overs

Cook 2 b Boult
  • Options
    GET FORWARD!
  • Options
    6/1
  • Options
    Cook gone, 6-1. I may be wrong but I think that's the 3rd innings on the trot we've been 6-1.

Don't worry, we brought in Leach to shore up the batting.
  • Options
    Also just seen the stat the Cook is only I Test away from equalling the best no of consecutive Tests.............I wonder if this is why he hasn't been dropped !!
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Also just seen the stat the Cook is only I Test away from equalling the best no of consecutive Tests.............I wonder if this is why he hasn't been dropped !!

It's because there's no-one better available. Evidence is the number of partners he's had in the last 3-4 years.
  • Options
    Shocking batting. GET FORWARD FFS.
  • Options

No, it's because he's the best opening batsman we have ever had.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

And we've got no one else even when he's in poor form.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Chizz said:

So its a bit like playing Magennis forever when he didn't score for 15 games because you have no plan B. There is ALWAYS someone else. I reckon I would have scored more runs that Cook has done in his last 3 innings. He only got 1 decent score in the Ashes series too.
  • Options

Chizz said:

So its a bit like playing Magennis forever when he didn't score for 15 games because you have no plan B. There is ALWAYS someone else. I reckon I would have scored more runs that Cook has done in his last 3 innings. He only got 1 decent score in the Ashes series too.
    Compton
    Duckett
    Lyth
    Jennings...

The grass is pretty dead everywhere.
  • Options

Chizz said:

#callupgolfie
  • Options
    What's Cook's average since 2013? I know there's been the occasional daddy century but I'd be surprised if he's even in the high 30's.
  • Options
    England - 20/1

Or "Curbishley".
  • Options
    That was abject. Cook has been a fine player but that was absolutely brainless. It was no more than a standard full length delivery with the little bit of movement you would expect from a new ball.

Talk about operating in a bubble. Did no one analyse the last Test?

These guys are not excessively quick - take your guard a few inches outside the crease not step back into - these guys are batting like they facing Michael Holding in his prime. The foot movement is abysmal.

Why is Stoneman try to pull a short pitch delivery rising about shoulder height outside off stump through mid wicket? The job is to stay there until lunch nothing more nothing less. The pitch and the ball will get easier. Leave the buggers alone. We cannot afford to gift wickets away. To quote Williamson it is about putting in the hard yards. The fun bit comes later......hopefully.

• Options

Chizz said:

Compton
    Duckett
    Lyth
    Jennings...

I thought the 2 "L" Yorkies (Lyth & ??) were supposed to have been our saviours according to Boycs a year or so ago.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    No one wants to tough it out these days.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Compton
    Duckett
    Lyth
    Jennings...

I thought the 2 "L" Yorkies (Lyth & ??) were supposed to have been our saviours according to Boycs a year or so ago.
    Lees
  • Options
    Vince now gone - he really isn't the answer and certainly not at 3. As feared we now have the situation where Bairstow will come in at 7 and have Broad, Wood, Leach and Anderson to bat with.