Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• I find myself wondering about this section of the photograph.

How did the hut get there?  Does it flip flop as you walk from one end to the other? What was inside it? Who owned it? And as for the mystery sign with its hieroglyphics - what's it saying, to who and why?

The hut is on the flat - it’s built on the slope, you can see that to the right, so the base had to be higher at one end than the other 
  • At the back of the east terrace (1963) there was a three sided shooting box.
  • At the back of the east terrace (1963) there was a three sided shooting box.
    Is this the only way we can win, shooting the opposition 😂
  • ross1 said:
    At the back of the east terrace (1963) there was a three sided shooting box.
    Is this the only way we can win, shooting the opposition 😂
    The shooting box was there when I first watched the reserves in 1949.Jimmy Seed or one of his coaches would take prospective new players there to see if they could kick with both feet. 
  • The Valley circa 1973
    Sunday market in the car park and a Bovril sign
    If I could time travel anywhere, I think I might just go to the old Valley and have a wander round !
    I would as well.
  • Think it's an optical illusion. Shadow is to the side, not beneath the floor. It also sits on the same plane as the flat terracing. 

Was flat on the ground the day I recall seeing some naughty boys climb the wall behind the snack bar and raided it for its goodies.  I only watched. 
  • I find myself wondering about this section of the photograph.

How did the hut get there?  Does it flip flop as you walk from one end to the other? What was inside it? Who owned it? And as for the mystery sign with its hieroglyphics - what's it saying, to who and why?

This was a hut that used to sell teas, coffees, pies etc. Admittedly, it does look a bit  strange in this picture and I don't remember the surface being anything other than flat. A hot cup of tea on a cold day was always welcome and what a view there was from the top of the East Terrace. They did a fair amount of business as many fans, including me, used to enter and leave through the turnstiles you can see on the right.     
  • edited June 25
    I find myself wondering about this section of the photograph.

This was a hut that used to sell teas, coffees, pies etc. Admittedly, it does look a bit  strange in this picture and I don't remember the surface being anything other than flat. A hot cup of tea on a cold day was always welcome and what a view there was from the top of the East Terrace. They did a fair amount of business as many fans, including me, used to enter and leave through the turnstiles you can see on the right.     
    You weren't half posh, all I remember getting was a small bag of peanuts from the man wandering the terraces yelling "peanuts!", if was lucky (and we were winning!).
  • Hal1x said:

You was posh, all I remember getting was a small bag of peanuts from the man wandering the terraces yelling "peanuts!".
    One of those peanut sellers was Dave Roberts who I knew from school. If Charlton scored, he would stop what he was doing to raise his scarf above his head and then carry on where he left off. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Larkins peanuts? 
  • Tanner a bag.
  • Hal1x said:

You weren't half posh, all I remember getting was a small bag of peanuts from the man wandering the terraces yelling "peanuts!".
    Adam….”PEANUTS……tanner a bag.”
  • Larkins peanuts? 
     Their seller went around shouting "Larkins Roasted". I was only young at the time and always felt sorry for Larkins
  • PEANUTS.......ROASTED PEANUTS  was the call in my day    
  • Assorted pastries was the shout in the West.
  • Anyone recognise themselves?
  • Anyone recognise themselves?
    Cilla black in the green and Tony Soprano with his hand over his mouth 

• Larkins peanuts? 
     Their seller went around shouting "Larkins Roasted". I was only young at the time and always felt sorry for Larkins
    Dont remember Larkins Peanuts but do remember Percy Dalton's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Larkins peanuts? 
    Dont remember Larkins Peanuts but do remember Percy Dalton's.
    Never heard of Larkins peanuts……let alone them being sold at The Valley?
  • Larkins peanuts? 
    Think you may be mistaken about Larkins, when was this?
  • ... Greenhithe said:
    PEANUTS.......ROASTED PEANUTS  was the call in my day    
    I also remember there always being some joker in the crowd standing behind his mates and shouting. 'ere are mate'.  The seller tramping up the terrace looking around and getting completely pissed off.  As for the make, I'd have called them monkey nuts you had to shell 'em yourself - none of this modern day convenience rubbish.  
  • Larkins peanuts? 
    Think you may be mistaken about Larkins, when was this?
      I started watching in 1953 and have been going ever since. 😢
  • I remember the guy standing at the top of Floyd Road shouting out ‘roasted peanuts, tanner a bag.’ The following week I saw him at the Den, doing the same for Millwall fans. 
    By the way, I was not a closet Millwall fan. My brother and I would watch the occasional Millwall home game hoping to see them lose. Sadly, it was around the time they went 50 odd home matches without losing.

• good find cherryorchard! Now that's history right there.

• I Remember back in the 70`s there was a fella selling percy dalton`s monkey nuts by the Donkey rides at Blackheath .   
  • I remember the guy standing at the top of Floyd Road shouting out ‘roasted peanuts, tanner a bag.’ The following week I saw him at the Den, doing the same for Millwall fans. 
    By the way, I was not a closet Millwall fan. My brother and I would watch the occasional Millwall home game hoping to see them lose. Sadly, it was around the time they went 50 odd home matches without losing.
    I used to go to the Den sometimes with my Millwall supporting mates around that time too.

The peanut selling guy used to say 3rd division peanuts when they were in the 4th. The next season he was selling 2nd division peanuts when they were in the 3rd.

Don't remember him offering 1st division peanuts when they were in the 2nd he must have had some sense.  
    His name was Adam…..he was a Greek Cypriot.