Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• I remember the guy standing at the top of Floyd Road shouting out ‘roasted peanuts, tanner a bag.’ The following week I saw him at the Den, doing the same for Millwall fans. 
    By the way, I was not a closet Millwall fan. My brother and I would watch the occasional Millwall home game hoping to see them lose. Sadly, it was around the time they went 50 odd home matches without losing.
    His name was Adam…..he was a Greek Cypriot.

Sounds like the opening line of a letter to Mellow Magic.
  • I remember the guy standing at the top of Floyd Road shouting out ‘roasted peanuts, tanner a bag.’ The following week I saw him at the Den, doing the same for Millwall fans. 
    By the way, I was not a closet Millwall fan. My brother and I would watch the occasional Millwall home game hoping to see them lose. Sadly, it was around the time they went 50 odd home matches without losing.

Reminded me of opening line of Barry Manilow's Copacabana
    Her name was Lola
    She sold us peanuts...

Reminded me of opening line of Barry Manilow's Copacabana
    I thought that too, but didn't have the nuts to post it! Well played you!
  • edited July 3
    Just found this, 20 & 21. @Henry Irving Of interest?

• Yes, definitely @TellyTubby
  • edited July 12
    Gribbo said:

I met him when he was the Fulham manager and we played them at The Valley in ‘83. Got him to sign my programme along with John Motson & David Hamilton 
  • The photographer that took those photos of Malcolm McDonald at The Valley lived in Bexleyheath down by Crook Log.

Malcolm had a soft spot for Charlton as did Alex Stock who signed him from Fulham.
  • Sponsored links:

• The photographer that took those photos of Malcolm McDonald at The Valley lived in Bexleyheath down by Crook Log.

Malcolm had a soft spot for Charlton as did Alex Stock who signed him from Fulham.
    Alec Stock was a player at Charlton just before the 2nd world war. 
  • Jonathan Ross in the middle

• So a team photo does exist without Keith Peacock in it!
  • edited August 13
    Floodlight betting fix scandal comes to The Valley.
  • Have just  been reading up on the bomb damage to the Greenwich and Charlton area during WW2.

Does anyone have a picture of Charlton station before it got hit by a German V1 and totally destroyed? Have found some pictures online of the post-blast damage, but not what it looked like before that.

(I'd always wondered as a kid why the Charlton station building seemed more "modern" than other stations)
  • Off_it said:
    Have just  been reading up on the bomb damage to the Greenwich and Charlton area during WW2.

Does anyone have a picture of Charlton station before it got hit by a German V1 and totally destroyed? Have found some pictures online of the post-blast damage, but not what it looked like before that.

There ya go

• Hal1x said:
    Jonathan Ross in the middle

And Ralph Fiennes. 
  • edited August 13
    Hal1x said:
    Jonathan Ross in the middle

And Ralph Fiennes. 
    Is that Haaland next to Ross doing that staring look that he does on the plane?

• Sponsored links:

• Trying to identify the smiling player at the back of this shot with my Dad who started going to The Valley in early 1946, the supposed year of this picture. Is anyone able to confirm? 
  • Ashers said:
    Thanks Nick, what an amazing story too - quite incredible! He’s actually easily recognisable having now looked at the photograph of the 1946 cup final team. Will share the article with my Dad. He’s still going to home games, this is his 79th season - I thought I was doing well starting my 51st last weekend! Picture from our seats very close to where we had always stood on the old east terrace.
    That's brilliant mate, bless him.
    Bet he has a few tales to tell
  • Off_it said:
    Have just  been reading up on the bomb damage to the Greenwich and Charlton area during WW2.

(I'd always wondered as a kid why the Charlton station building seemed more "modern" than other stations)
    I've been playing with the Britain From Above website and they have at least one aerial image of Charlton, showing the Valley and the station in 1933. There are lots of images in the area but the map doesn't make it easy to work out which areas are covered by which images. This one's easy because there's a massive, easily-identifiable football ground in it. You'll need to register to zoom into the image and actually see anything.
    https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW040932
  • Off_it said:

I've been playing with the Britain From Above website and they have at least one aerial image of Charlton, showing the Valley and the station in 1933. There are lots of images in the area but the map doesn't make it easy to work out which areas are covered by which images. This one's easy because there's a massive, easily-identifiable football ground in it. You'll need to register to zoom into the image and actually see anything.
    That photo in the link, only shows one side of Victory way for the J&P site,  the main factory was on the right side going down the hill.
  • edited August 22
    Off_it said:

That photo in the link, only shows one side of Victory way for the J&P site,  the main factory was on the right side going down the hill.
    I haven't posted on here for a long time ... but when something factually not quite correct appears ... well, what would you do?

The original J&P site in Victoria Way (not 'Victory Way' @guinnessaddick) was very definitely on the right hand side going UP the hill.  I assume that the buildings nearer to Fossdene School came later.  Check out Claude Johnson's 1877 painting for a snapshot at the time.
  • Article on the V1 attack on Charlton station from MOD magazine

• edited August 22
    Dave Rudd said:
    Off_it said:

I haven't posted on here for a long time  .. but when something factually incorrect appears ... well, what would you do?

The main J&P site in Victoria Way (not 'Victory Way' @guinnessaddick) was very definitely on the right hand side going UP the hill.
    I meant Victoria Way, there was a lot of land on the right going up, the buildings on that side were mainly srotage, the main factory was on the left going up when I worked there for 7 years in the 80’s.