Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Lee Bowyer - Caretaker Manager (Jackson Assistant)***

Comments

• Options

Just watched his interview on Valley Pass. Came across very very well. Seems calm and has his own ideas. I hope the new owners give him a chance

A chance at what ? He doesn't have the qualifications to be a full time manager, so the absolute most he can be given is until the end of the season, unless you mean a chance as Kewell's assistant ?
    Just like Curbishley and Lawrence you mean and they seemed to do ok.
    I don't think CE is writing Bowyer off because he doesn't have the badges, he is merely pointing out that he is not allowed, according to the rules, to be made full time manager without them.
    No reason why he can't take his badges in the summer presuming he doesn't already have some form of coaching qualifications.
    I was basing my opinion on the belief that Lee has got a B licence, which is OK for centres of excellence, but not an A licence, which allows you to be a manager or coach in the professional game - according to the PFA that typically takes two years to achieve.

If this is incorrect and Lee can get his badges in a few months as opposed to 2 years, then that would be great.
  • Options
    If he takes us up, a way would be found I am sure!
  • Options
    What a great and unexpected result. Give them credit. Coupled with the impending takeover, the new formation and style of play has clearly given everyone (including the players) some hope and lift. Keep the foot on the gas and who knows...
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Just watched his interview on Valley Pass. Came across very very well. Seems calm and has his own ideas. I hope the new owners give him a chance

A chance at what ? He doesn't have the qualifications to be a full time manager, so the absolute most he can be given is until the end of the season, unless you mean a chance as Kewell's assistant ?

I don't think CE is writing Bowyer off because he doesn't have the badges, he is merely pointing out that he is not allowed, according to the rules, to be made full time manager without them.
    No reason why he can't take his badges in the summer presuming he doesn't already have some form of coaching qualifications.
    I was basing my opinion on the belief that Lee has got a B licence, which is OK for centres of excellence, but not an A licence, which allows you to be a manager or coach in the professional game - according to the PFA that typically takes two years to achieve.

If this is incorrect and Lee can get his badges in a few months as opposed to 2 years, then that would be great.
    It's not out of the question to assume he has been working on his A license whilst working at Charlton for just over a year. Not sure how long these things take to complete but it's possible that he could complete it before the start of next season.

Just guessing though.
  • Options
    Post match interview on Valley Pass, nice one actually.
    Very reminiscent of Curbs.
  • Options
    Really impressive start. In the two post match comments quoted Bowyer has spoken more sense than Robinson did in his whole tenure. I'm not going to say he is the Messiah but that was a really good debut.
  • Options
    Just watched the post match interview and I was glad to see Bowyer's more measured responses rather than Karl's over-excited manner.
  • Options
    The A licence takes 18 days to complete. Not sure if that's 18 consecutive days though as they sometimes spread the courses out over a few weeks / months.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Heard a rumour Bowyer will be doing his A licence in the summer. This crossed with caretakers being allowed to lead 10 games says it's Bowyer and Jacko moving forward.

Scratch that there's no limit to how long someone can be caretaker manager for.
  • Options
    It's all about timing. If Bowyer gets a few games to manage and we win them, Kewell loses a few, it might make any new owners think twice about who gets the job on a permanent basis. My guess is Kewell will come in with Bowyer staying as assistant manager.
  • Options
    I spoke to a Rangers fan who came to the game from Chelmsford who was disparaging about Warburton, said he was all about money and that Warburtons wife ran a player agency.
  • Options
    Is Warburton's wife a tasty bit of crumpet?
  • Options
    To me, somebody needing a licence to manage a football team sounds like an unnecessary restriction in trade and, as I suspect many football fans could name examples of, not necessarily an endorsement of some success in the role. Maybe football needs a ‘Bosman’ for unlicensed managers...
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I spoke to a Rangers fan who came to the game from Chelmsford who was disparaging about Warburton, said he was all about money and that Warburtons wife ran a player agency.

He’s got to earn a crust.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Doesnt surprise me seeing that Warburton was a trader in the City before he became a Manager
  • Options

Do you remember when Southgate got the Middlesbrough Job, he didn't have the A Licence and Steve Gibson was given 12 weeks to explain to the FA and football managers association why the gaps in Southgate CV was acceptable ? (I couldn't recall the answer so just checked)
    Gibson being a wealthy and intelligent guy said to the powers that be because GS was a premier and International player he didn't have the time and the FA accepted the reason given.
    Not certain but you would think that Premier league compared to league 2 would have a different criteria.
    What ever happened to Gareth Southgate !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

To me, somebody needing a licence to manage a football team sounds like an unnecessary restriction in trade and, as I suspect many football fans could name examples of, not necessarily an endorsement of some success in the role. Maybe football needs a ‘Bosman’ for unlicensed managers...

Football is very much a merry go round of jobs for the boys. It would be interesting to hear from someone in the know why a licence is required.
  • Options

I don't think that argument would run. There are many industries where you need an appropriate qualification in order to trade. IFAs, Gas Safe engineers and brain surgeons being a few examples.

HOWEVER, I do have concerns about the process. If the FA has a limited number of trainers for the prospective coaches, aren't they all going to end up as clones of the trainer with not an original thought between them?

BTW, it seems someone needs the UEFA Pro licence only if they are coaching a Premier League side or a team competing in UEFA competitions. UEFA A (FA Level 4) is sufficient for EFL managers.

Does anyone know - is there an actual badge?

• Options
    edited March 2018

Football is very much a merry go round of jobs for the boys. It would be interesting to hear from someone in the know why a licence is required.
    Merely because the Governing bodies (UEFA & The FA) have made it a mandatory requirement.

BTW this interview/article https://talksport.com/football/lee-bowyer-tells-talksport-he-wants-start-managerial-career-and-
    would-be-keen-charlton
    from November 2016 suggests that Lee Bowyer completed his coaching qualifications back then.
  • Options
    Example A: Ex pro who spent 20 years at the top of the game, playing in Europe and the Premier and Championship under various managers and different formations and training methods.

Example B: never made it as a pro because got injured as teenager and went into coaching young and got every badge going including the UEFA A Licence before he was 29 but appears to have a plan A which is set in stone.

Not knocking the badges per se but 20 years as a pro should give you an understanding of the minds of footballers that Example A will never totally get.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I don't think that argument would run. There are many industries where you need an appropriate qualification in order to trade. IFAs, Gas Safe engineers and brain surgeons being a few examples.

HOWEVER, I do have concerns about the process. If the FA has a limited number of trainers for the prospective coaches, aren't they all going to end up as clones of the trainer with not an original thought between them?

BTW, it seems someone needs the UEFA Pro licence only if they are coaching a Premier League side or a team competing in UEFA competitions. UEFA A (FA Level 4) is sufficient for EFL managers.

Being qualified to be a brain surgeon, a Gas safe engineer or an IFA I can fully understand but needing a piece of paper to be a football manager ?
  • Options

“Had enough of these so called experts”.

The licenses are to make sure players are trained in a safe environment and one that isn’t damaging. It also means they’re being taught the latest in technology and coaching, which can only be a good thing.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Being qualified to be a brain surgeon, a Gas safe engineer or an IFA I can fully understand but needing a piece of paper to be a football manager ?
    A lot of it is aimed at behavioural management and psychology with session design I've found so far. I think the higher up you go, the more focused it becomes on designing session with more of a long term aim, systems, formations etc.
  • Options

Always nice to see Curbs at the ground. And great to see him sitting with Keith.
    Freeloaders. What have they ever done for the club?

:smile:
  • Options

cafcfan said:

A lot of it is aimed at behavioural management and psychology with session design I've found so far. I think the higher up you go, the more focused it becomes on designing session with more of a long term aim, systems, formations etc.
    You can get all the qualifications in the world and still be f***ing useless as a manager. It's not rocket science being a football manager but too many are recruited who just blag it - Pardew and Robinson keep getting jobs despite coming across as egotistical bullshitters.

• Options
    edited March 2018

cafcfan said:

You can get all the qualifications in the world and still be f***ing useless as a manager. It's not rocket science being a football manager but too many are recruited who just blag it - Pardew and Robinson keep getting jobs despite coming across as egotistical bullshitters.

Ian Dowie with his engineering degree was the nearest thing to a rocket scientist and his last training session at sparrows lane as shown on London news the boys were playing cricket !