Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Lee Bowyer - Caretaker Manager (Jackson Assistant)***

Comments

• Options

cafcfan said:

To me, somebody needing a licence to manage a football team sounds like an unnecessary restriction in trade and, as I suspect many football fans could name examples of, not necessarily an endorsement of some success in the role. Maybe football needs a ‘Bosman’ for unlicensed managers...

I don't think that argument would run. There are many industries where you need an appropriate qualification in order to trade. IFAs, Gas Safe engineers and brain surgeons being a few examples.

HOWEVER, I do have concerns about the process. If the FA has a limited number of trainers for the prospective coaches, aren't they all going to end up as clones of the trainer with not an original thought between them?

BTW, it seems someone needs the UEFA Pro licence only if they are coaching a Premier League side or a team competing in UEFA competitions. UEFA A (FA Level 4) is sufficient for EFL managers.

Does anyone know - is there an actual badge?

Being qualified to be a brain surgeon, a Gas safe engineer or an IFA I can fully understand but needing a piece of paper to be a football manager ?
    A lot of it is aimed at behavioural management and psychology with session design I've found so far. I think the higher up you go, the more focused it becomes on designing session with more of a long term aim, systems, formations etc.
    You can get all the qualifications in the world and still be f***ing useless as a manager. It's not rocket science being a football manager but too many are recruited who just blag it - Pardew and Robinson keep getting jobs despite coming across as egotistical bullshitters.

Ian Dowie with his engineering degree was the nearest thing to a rocket scientist and his last training session at sparrows lane as shown on London news the boys were playing cricket !

Didn't he also get them lost out on a run and they had to cross a motorway?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

cafcfan said:

To me, somebody needing a licence to manage a football team sounds like an unnecessary restriction in trade and, as I suspect many football fans could name examples of, not necessarily an endorsement of some success in the role. Maybe football needs a ‘Bosman’ for unlicensed managers...

I don't think that argument would run. There are many industries where you need an appropriate qualification in order to trade. IFAs, Gas Safe engineers and brain surgeons being a few examples.

HOWEVER, I do have concerns about the process. If the FA has a limited number of trainers for the prospective coaches, aren't they all going to end up as clones of the trainer with not an original thought between them?

BTW, it seems someone needs the UEFA Pro licence only if they are coaching a Premier League side or a team competing in UEFA competitions. UEFA A (FA Level 4) is sufficient for EFL managers.

Being qualified to be a brain surgeon, a Gas safe engineer or an IFA I can fully understand but needing a piece of paper to be a football manager ?
    A lot of it is aimed at behavioural management and psychology with session design I've found so far. I think the higher up you go, the more focused it becomes on designing session with more of a long term aim, systems, formations etc.
    You can get all the qualifications in the world and still be f***ing useless as a manager. It's not rocket science being a football manager but too many are recruited who just blag it - Pardew and Robinson keep getting jobs despite coming across as egotistical bullshitters.

Ian Dowie with his engineering degree was the nearest thing to a rocket scientist and his last training session at sparrows lane as shown on London news the boys were playing cricket !

Wasn't that up in Wigan?

He was also supposed to have disappeared for a while to see his missus up North not so far away - nobody knew where he was even though he was supposed to be taking training - and didn't turn up until 10 minutes before kick off the next day.

#Advancing the Addicks
  • Options
    Well done Lee on your first match as the gaffer . A great player for us , although only brief , but always gave 100% . Who cares if he aint got FA badges on his CV . Unlike GOBINSON SLADE etc. Played at the highest level and is modest with it .
  • Options
    I can't see how it is an issue as long as in a situation like Bowyer's, there is a path to get it done without having to let him go as manager (if that is what all parties want). It seems there is.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

cafcfan said:

Wasn't that up in Wigan?

He was also supposed to have disappeared for a while to see his missus up North not so far away - nobody knew where he was even though he was supposed to be taking training - and didn't turn up until 10 minutes before kick off the next day.

#Advancing the Addicks
    I think it may have been Newcastle away in a 5.30 Saturday kick off.
    Yes, the Wigan incident was a different aspect of Dowie's odd behaviour a few weeks later. Here's the Sun's report in all its glory. This of a sensitive disposition should look away now:

"SunSport can today reveal some of the reasons why the London club fired Dowie — a move which stunned football and infuriated many fans at The Valley.

Dowie has yet to sue for wrongful dismissal but it is likely he will attempt to bring legal proceedings against a club who remain in deep trouble next to bottom in the Premiership and face Aston Villa this lunchtime.

Other incidents included Dowie involving his brother Bob against the club’s wishes, the manager’s decision to stage a game of cricket during training and, before one away match, he spent the night with his family rather than prepare with the team at their hotel.

But the most bizarre moment of Dowie’s reign was when Charlton’s players were in the North East for their match against Newcastle on October 28.

On the morning of the game, which was a 5.15pm kick-off, Dowie took his players out for a run.

Yet the entire squad got lost and the players — just hours before an important Premier League game — were seen running across a busy dual carriageway, dodging lorries in the process.

One Charlton star, who asked not to be named, said: “It was quite funny at the time but it was hardly good preparation. I was knackered.”

Eventually, the players discovered where they were — but they had wandered so far away from their hotel they had to contact the club kitman who hailed a fleet of taxi cabs to rescue them.

Following Dowie’s controversial arrival from Crystal Palace in the summer, Charlton chairman Richard Murray insisted that his brother Bob should not be involved at any stage.

Murray then hit the roof when he discovered Bob Dowie had been in the dressing room, speaking to the players, ahead of Charlton’s 2-1 defeat at Fulham at October 16.

Just a few days later, 24 hours before a game against Watford, Dowie skipped training, insisting it would be a good idea for someone else to be in charge.

Afterwards, he joked he had spent the day hanging up pictures in his London flat.

On another day, Dowie decided that the team should miss part of a training session . . . to play a game of cricket.

The player added: “Most of the lads really enjoyed — but it was a bit difficult for the foreign ones.”

Matters came to a head before the visit to Wigan on November 11.

The day before the game, with the team coach travelling to their Lancashire hotel, Dowie asked the coach driver to drop him off near his Bolton home — and the former Northern Ireland international striker was not seen again until three hours before kick-off the next day.

This was a surprise for the players and the club’s directors were both baffled and angry.

Dowie remained in the North West after the 3-2 defeat and then, on the Sunday, the club decided the manager should be relieved of his duties.

The club left themselves open to criticism by informing Dowie of their decision by phone, rather than meeting with him on his return to Charlton."

• Options

You couldn't make it up ..... Dowie, what a clown!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Bowyer has the badges he needs to be able to become permanent manager. Good news.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/lee-bowyer-has-got-necessary-badges-to-manage-charlton-athletic-on-permanent-basis/

We know that. It's been discussed already. UEFA B is needed for EFL coaching, so he obviously must have had the qualification to take on the assistant role in the first place. UEFA A or Pro licence is needed for Premier League though....
  • Options
    Good find Scoham and great news.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

cafcfan said:

Wasn't that up in Wigan?

#Advancing the Addicks
    I think it may have been Newcastle away in a 5.30 Saturday kick off.
    Correct. Rare televised fixture :lol:
  • Options
    Bowyer did a cracking job on Saturday. Changed things up both in terms of personnel and tactics, playing a genuinely versatile defensive player in Dijksteel at RB rather than playing a CB there out of position proved what happens if you don't try to be cleverer than you actually are. He lifted the energy, the spirits and the determination of the whole team and the crowd. Given that there is still no confirmation of the takeover and wasn't on Saturday he deserves the full credit for the performance, not what may/may not happen today.
  • Options
    Jackson scheduled to appear on Talksport 2 this afternoon.

16:00
    The 72 on talkSPORT 2
    Dan Windle is joined by Chris Iwelumo and Johnnie Jackson to round-up of the weekend's action from the EFL

Read more at https://talksport.com/radio/schedule#zCOG2aBqQoipvA4V.99
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    If these new owners march in and get rid of Bowyer and install Kewell I shall start a one man protest by chaining myself to the Sam Bartram statue and removing the bust of Jimmy Seed from the boardroom. Man has to be given a chance. Spirit is everything. It's very difficult to create, and very easy to destroy.
    Who's with me @Henry Irving ? :-)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

If these new owners march in and get rid of Bowyer and install Kewell I shall start a one man protest by chaining myself to the Sam Bartram statue and removing the bust of Jimmy Seed from the boardroom. Man has to be given a chance. Spirit is everything. It's very difficult to create, and very easy to destroy.
    Who's with me @Henry Irving ? :-)

Protests hurt the team.

The new owners will have saved the club, it's their club so they can make the decisions.

If you don't like it put up £77m yourself.

Just turn up and buy tickets like a good customer.

• Options

Just watched his interview on Valley Pass. Came across very very well. Seems calm and has his own ideas. I hope the new owners give him a chance

A chance at what ? He doesn't have the qualifications to be a full time manager, so the absolute most he can be given is until the end of the season, unless you mean a chance as Kewell's assistant ?
    Just like Curbishley and Lawrence you mean and they seemed to do ok.
    I don't think CE is writing Bowyer off because he doesn't have the badges, he is merely pointing out that he is not allowed, according to the rules, to be made full time manager without them.
    No reason why he can't take his badges in the summer presuming he doesn't already have some form of coaching qualifications.
    I was basing my opinion on the belief that Lee has got a B licence, which is OK for centres of excellence, but not an A licence, which allows you to be a manager or coach in the professional game - according to the PFA that typically takes two years to achieve.

If this is incorrect and Lee can get his badges in a few months as opposed to 2 years, then that would be great.
    Do you remember when Southgate got the Middlesbrough Job, he didn't have the A Licence and Steve Gibson was given 12 weeks to explain to the FA and football managers association why the gaps in Southgate CV was acceptable ? (I couldn't recall the answer so just checked)
    Gibson being a wealthy and intelligent guy said to the powers that be because GS was a premier and International player he didn't have the time and the FA accepted the reason given.
    Not certain but you would think that Premier league compared to league 2 would have a different criteria.
    What ever happened to Gareth Southgate !
    Didn’t he take them down? Maybe Gibson is not so intelligent afterall !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Well impressed with Bowyer and he’s the kind of thing we’ve been crying out for.
    Reminded me of Curbs after the game. Not too high and not too low. Made Robinson look like an amateur with that post match interview alone.
    If the new owners are serious about keeping the support base on side they’d do well to let him have a chance.
    Stomping in and appointing your own countryman for that reason only would have a real feel of deja vu and would tell us a lot about their real intentions.
  • Options
    WELL DONE LEE and JACKO,
    100% Effort from the team, and plymouth well beaten.
    playoffs hear we come !!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    From NewsShopper:

Johnnie Jackson believes Karl Robinson left Charlton because he thought new owners would sack him.
    Wantaway Addicks chief Roland Duchatelet has been trying to sell the club for some time and a deal with an Australian consortium is believed to be close.
    Robinson swapped Charlton for Oxford United last week and Lee Bowyer was placed in caretaker charge with club captain Jackson assisting him.
    Jackson, who was part of Robinson’s management team, said: “In the past week or so you start hearing about the manager possibly looking elsewhere and trying to resign, it made everything even more uncertain. It’s been a turbulent six weeks or so.

“I worked closely with Karl and he brought me into the coaching set up, so I’ll always be grateful for that.
    “I enjoyed working with him and obviously I was privy to some of the stuff that was going on and I know that he felt if a takeover was to happen pretty soon, the new guys would bring in their own manager and he’d be out of a job, so he had the worry of that.
    “In that time, the Oxford job became available and he probably looked at that and thought ‘if I’m going to get sacked anyway, why shouldn’t I leave now?’ So I think that’s the way it played out, that’s not gospel, he would give you the whole story, but that’s the way I understood it.
    “He has his reasons for not wanting to hang about, he tried to resign a couple times and was told ‘no’. I think once he tried to resign, it’s a difficult place to come back from.

“Once that went public and the players found out about it, you’re almost untenable. How do you come back from saying you don’t want to be here?”
    Bowyer won his first game in charge against promotion rivals Plymouth on Saturday.
    Two goals in 17 minutes had the Valley rocking - a complete contrast to their previous match against Fleetwood which ended goalless.
    Jackson, 35, added: “The key thing we spoke about before Plymouth, me and Bow, we knew the crowd had pretty much turned on Karl. For whatever reason, right or wrong, he’d lost favour with a lot of the support.

“Obviously, being two Charlton boys, with Lee going through the ranks and me being here for so many years, we were pretty sure we’d get the response on matchday. We knew the crowd would be 100 per cent behind us, and spur us on.
    “We got that across to the lads and made sure they bought into it. So we had to be attacking with two forwards on the pitch, we pressed high and got into their faces.
    “Karl and Lee are completely different [in the dressing room]. Karl was very, very vocal and would bombard with info, whereas Lee’s a lot more backseat with little snippets of info, quite chilled and calm.
    “So we said ‘let’s take this like a mini season of 10 games, can we finish top of our league?’ Wigan, Shrewsbury and Blackburn would be hard to catch, but Rotherham, Scunthorpe, Peterborough, Plymouth and Portsmouth, can we top that league? We need to start now, that was the message.”

Takeover delays have frustrated Charlton fans throughout the season, but Jackson hopes they will get their wish soon.
    He added on talkSPORT2 : “It’s vital, just for the fans. They need closure on this chapter.
    “The uncertainty around the football club isn’t healthy. Who’s going to come in? Who’s going to take over? Who’s going to be manager? What division will we be in? The whole thing creates a little disillusion in the crowd. They need a new direction and focus.

“The Valley was rocking on Saturday. Because of results and the uncertainty around the club, it would have been easy for the fans to stay away.
    “We’ve got four or five more home games left and if we can get the Valley like that every week, it’s going to be difficult for sides to play against us."

Three home games, or four if we make the playoffs ?

[That was weird. Was just typing that last sentence, and when I typed 'if we make the', the word 'playoffs' was offered as a suggestion. Won't be long before I'll only need to write 'The thing about Karl was', for the tablet to blather on about how he did a good job shaking things up, but was let down by his inflexible tactics etc etc... and probably for it to add a comment from Henners like 'Just win matches or something'.]
  • Options
    Is maybe a little bit too in depth with his interviews (As Northampton will surely expect a 4-4-2 formation of some kind now) - Yet I really like how he goes about explaining it... Especially how he says he hasnt stopped analysing Northampton
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Managers

40.1 Subject to Regulation 40.4:

40.1.1 all Managers in the Championship must hold a minimum of the UEFA A Licence and be working towards completing the UEFA Pro-Licence within 3 years of appointment.

40.1.2 all Managers in League 1 and League 2 must hold a minimum of the UEFA B Licence and be working towards completing the UEFA A Licence within 3 years of appointment.

40.2 Where a Club is promoted from League One to the Championship and that Club’s Manager does not hold the UEFA A Licence, the Manager shall have until 31st July in the following Season in which to obtain the UEFA A Licence.

40.3 Where a Club appoints a Manager on an interim basis that individual does not need to meet the qualifications set out in Regulation 40.1 above provided always that this dispensation shall not last beyond the end of the Season in which they are appointed. Further, Clubs may not appoint any individual who has already held an interim Manager position at a Club under this Regulation unless and until such time as they have acquired the qualification(s) required under Regulation 40.1.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

An A Licence minimum is required to be full time manager. If Kewell is working towards his pro licence, he already has the A licence.

The UEFA Pyramid:

Level 5, UEFA Pro Licence (focus on how to manage)
    A mandatory qualification for managing in the FA Premier League and UEFA competitions.
    Most candidates complete in 12 months

Level 4, UEFA A Licence (focus on phases of play, 9v9 games and 11v11 match play)
    Work as a manager/coach in the professional game, or Academy Manager.
    Most candidates complete within 2 years.

Level 3, UEFA B Licence (focus on functions, phases of play and 8v8 games)
    Find work in Centres of Excellence and Academies.
    You have 2 years, but can usually be completed in 12-18 months

Level 2, Certificate in Coaching Football (focus on how we coach, play, support and the future player)
    Find work in Football in the Community, local authorities, US soccer camps.
    You have 3 years to complete, but it can be achieved in 6 months. PFA members can start their coaching pathway at this tier.

Level 1
    Useful for local community work, and can be completed in a few weeks. Not a mandatory qualification, but a gentle introduction.

Managers

40.1 Subject to Regulation 40.4:

40.1.1 all Managers in the Championship must hold a minimum of the UEFA A Licence and be working towards completing the UEFA Pro-Licence within 3 years of appointment.

40.1.2 all Managers in League 1 and League 2 must hold a minimum of the UEFA B Licence and be working towards completing the UEFA A Licence within 3 years of appointment.

40.2 Where a Club is promoted from League One to the Championship and that Club’s Manager does not hold the UEFA A Licence, the Manager shall have until 31st July in the following Season in which to obtain the UEFA A Licence.

40.3 Where a Club appoints a Manager on an interim basis that individual does not need to meet the qualifications set out in Regulation 40.1 above provided always that this dispensation shall not last beyond the end of the Season in which they are appointed. Further, Clubs may not appoint any individual who has already held an interim Manager position at a Club under this Regulation unless and until such time as they have acquired the qualification(s) required under Regulation 40.1.

Therefore Bowyer and Jackson are both qualified enough for what we need.
  • Options
    BALLS.

@Airman Brown has got in quicker than I, I left mine in drafts.
  • Options

Is maybe a little bit too in depth with his interviews (As Northampton will surely expect a 4-4-2 formation of some kind now) - Yet I really like how he goes about explaining it... Especially how he says he hasnt stopped analysing Northampton

Expecting a 4-4-2 "of some kind" still leaves Northampton much further in the dark as to how we will play than if we still had Robinson in charge.