Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The playoff race

Comments

• Options
    as i said before a team at the wrong end of the table ( rochdale ) are down there for a reason, we have just beaten a shrewsbury and Blackburn sides that have been top 3 nigh on all season, in a way we should be confident enough in the boys that we can go and get a result never nice to relegate a club but needs must, not going saturday as would of been a stopover and a pricey one.
  • Options
    Anyone know if Rochdale are long ball merchants?
  • Options
    Despite Rochdale's lowly position I should think LB is preparing the same way he did for the Blackburn game. We can easily mess this up still if the focus is missing and that has happened plenty of times in our history. 3 points is the aim for us, no more no less, especially should Plymouth win tomorrow night.
  • Options
    If Plymouth need anything at Gillingham on the last day they will get it. Scally will hand it to them on a plate to piss Charlton off.
  • Options

as i said before a team at the wrong end of the table ( rochdale ) are down there for a reason, we have just beaten a shrewsbury and Blackburn sides that have been top 3 nigh on all season, in a way we should be confident enough in the boys that we can go and get a result never nice to relegate a club but needs must, not going saturday as would of been a stopover and a pricey one.

Unless it's palarse.
  • Options

I think they and play. After their draw with Spurs in the cup the punditry was saying they play too good football to be where they are in the league.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I think they and play. After their draw with Spurs in the cup the punditry was saying they play too good football to be where they are in the league.
    Yes, Keith Hill was happy with the relaid pitch they put down for that game, as it enabled his players to play their passing game

Which should suit us really
  • Options

Unless it's palarse.
    i dont class them as a club more a shit stain on the footballing world.
  • Options
    Scunthorpe v Plymouth live on Sky tomorrow.
  • Options
    If we get there I don't think we should fear anyone.
    Hoping we can somehow avoid Shrewsbury is non-sensical imo.
    Whoever they are. Bring it on. And I'm sure Bowyer's saying the same.

Let's just get there first eh!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Judging by their performance at the valley they try to play decent passing football but we still came from 1 down to win 2-1 but without checking I can't remember who scored or how the goals came about for Cafc ?
  • Options
    JFC with both.
  • Options
    It's a real nail-biter that's for sure. I have one major concern and it's one that we have been suffering from all season - someone to put the ball in the net. Sure, we have won our last three games and not conceded a goal - great - but to win football matches you have to be able to find the net fairly regularly. If we score first then we have the advantage as the back four are playing really well but if we go behind and have to chase the game I fear we are going to come up short.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

It's a real nail-biter that's for sure. I have one major concern and it's one that we have been suffering from all season - someone to put the ball in the net. Sure, we have won our last three games and not conceded a goal - great - but to win football matches you have to be able to find the net fairly regularly. If we score first then we have the advantage as the back four are playing really well but if we go behind and have to chase the game I fear we are going to come up short.

echo these thoughts, great wins but its been 2 1-0 wins and the shrewsbury game would of been without there howler
  • Options
    This is all very simple ... win and we’re in the playoffs. Lose and it’s in the lap of the gods
  • Options
    addick05 said:

True, though none of the teams around us are that prolific either, when compared to Wigan and Blackburn

Rotherham have the most goals with 72, but then it's pretty close. Shrewsbury have only scored 2 more than we have for example (60 vs 58), Scunthorpe 62, Plymouth 56
  • Options

addick05 said:

echo these thoughts, great wins but its been 2 1-0 wins and the shrewsbury game would of been without there howler
    Shrewsbury away, Pompey away and Blackburn at home on the back of two disapoining defeats. The number of goals scored in these games is irrelevant, if any of us came on here after Scunthorpe and said it would happen we would have been ridiculed! I would have been at the front of the queue doing the ridiculing. This three game winning run is a fantastic achievement because of the difficulty of the games, the relative quality of the opponents and the circumstances.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

addick05 said:

Shrewsbury away, Pompey away and Blackburn at home on the back of two disapoining defeats. The number of goals scored in these games is irrelevant, if any of us came on here after Scunthorpe and said it would happen we would have been ridiculed! I would have been at the front of the queue doing the ridiculing. This three game winning run is a fantastic achievement because of the difficulty of the games, the relative quality of the opponents and the circumstances.
    I am a Charlton fan and i fucking loved pompey and saturday not been to games with atmosphere like that for years, but im not going to get carried away getting a playoff spot is a good achievement but lets not get too excited we do have to win the thing.

start of the season most fans would not of been satisfied with 5/6th, but we had a manager who didn't have a clue what he was doing and now we've got a manager who gets the club and think is very good, whether hes of championship stock i don't know.

we played shrewsbury when they were pretty much consolidated to the playoffs
    pompey was do or die for them
    Blackburn had v little to play for which was reflected in the squad they played.

in my opinion the pompey game was the hardest of the 3 and we won it.

what is very encouraging is we appear to have hit form going into the playoffs;

last 5
    shrewsbury DLDWD
    rotherham WDWWL
    scunthrope DDWWW
    plymouth WDLDW
    us LLWWW
  • Options

Also both Scunthorpe and Plymouth have much easier last day fixtures than us. Both playing sides who are already on their holidays. So we'd much prefer it to be done and dusted this midweek.

whatever happens this midweek the only thing you can be certain of is that it will NOT be done and dusted.

• Options
    edited April 2018

Also both Scunthorpe and Plymouth have much easier last day fixtures than us. Both playing sides who are already on their holidays. So we'd much prefer it to be done and dusted this midweek.

whatever happens this midweek the only thing you can be certain of is that it will NOT be done and dusted.

if plymouth get spanked 4-0 by scunthorpe bar us letting in a shed load we would be there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Plymouth draw 0-0 with Scunny and beat Gillingham 4-0 and Charlton draw 2-2 at Rochdale, it means Charlton and Plymouth have identical points, identical goal difference, identical goals scored and identical 2-0 results against each another. If Scunny get at least a draw it would need another deciding game between Plymouth and Charlton for the 6th place decider.

Got this from the Plymouth website.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Why not do it then on the basis of who has conceded the least amount of Goals?

Or even the head to head aggerate score (Yes I know would be 2-2 between Charlton and Plymouth)

Else they'd surely have to do a Qualifying Play-Off on Monday 7th to fit it round the Play-Offs
  • Options

If Plymouth draw 0-0 with Scunny and beat Gillingham 4-0 and Charlton draw 2-2 at Rochdale, it means Charlton and Plymouth have identical points, identical goal difference, identical goals scored and identical 2-0 results against each another. If Scunny get at least a draw it would need another deciding game between Plymouth and Charlton for the 6th place decider.

yes, that has been mentioned.

• Options

Or even the head to head aggerate score (Yes I know would be 2-2 between Charlton and Plymouth)

Else they'd surely have to do a Qualifying Play-Off on Monday 7th to fit it round the Play-Offs

Goals conceded would be identical if goals scored and goal difference the same.

Toss of the coin?
  • Options

Don't think I could take that! Seriously, really can't conceive that happening but I guess you never know!

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I'm sure the next step would be a toss of the coin to see who qualifies for the play offs - or am I imagining that?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I'm sure the next step would be a toss of the coin to see who qualifies for the play offs - or am I imagining that?

I think you are correct.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

What? After the play off match mentioned above
  • Options

It would be virtually impossible to schedule a qualifying play off match in the short time scale between the end of the Saturday match and Thursday unless they do it behind closed doors, and then having to organise tickets/police etc for the Thursday match as well...leaving aside the issue of a team then having to play Saturday, Monday, Thursday
  • Options

Goals conceded would be identical if goals scored and goal difference the same.

Toss of the coin?
    Alphabetical order. :smile: