Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The playoff race

Comments

• Options
    5-0 win for Scunthorpe on Tuesday please.
  • Options

Also both Scunthorpe and Plymouth have much easier last day fixtures than us. Both playing sides who are already on their holidays. So we'd much prefer it to be done and dusted this midweek.

I don't think that is always the case. Gillingham have disapointed lately after a terrific run and they will want to show intent for next season in front of their fans in their final game, but they won't have the same pressure on them as Rochdale.
  • Options

Also both Scunthorpe and Plymouth have much easier last day fixtures than us. Both playing sides who are already on their holidays. So we'd much prefer it to be done and dusted this midweek.

I don't think that is always the case. Gillingham have disapointed lately after a terrific run and they will want to show intent for next season in front of their fans in their final game, but they won't have the same pressure on them as Rochdale.
    agreed. So many things to take into account. Rochdale are down there because they are not good enough, will they lift game or buckle under pressure? Teams with nothing to play for could already be on holiday, or they could enjoy playing without any pressure. Pressure can get to Scunthorpe, to Charlton or to Plymouth. We don't know how teams will react, especially in the early stages of the second half when they know the HT scores.
  • Options
    Rochdale had a big incentive to beat Oxford yesterday.
  • Options

I admire your optimism.

Gillingham haven't won anywhere for weeks and haven't won at home since January, scoring just twice at home in that time. I'm certainly not holding much hope on them getting anything v Plymouth.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I admire your optimism.

Gillingham haven't won anywhere for weeks and haven't won at home since January, scoring just twice at home in that time. I'm certainly not holding much hope on them getting anything v Plymouth.
    I think that helps us - it is the funny thing about football! It isn't optimism - it is in our hands and if Scunthorpe win at home on Tuesday we are pretty much there anyway.
  • Options
    Have a feeling that Scunthorpe v Plymouth will end in a draw. I’m expecting Plymouth to win at Gillingham which would leave us needing a draw at Rochdale to get sixth on GD assuming Plymouth don’t go goal crazy at Gills. Scunthorpe have Rotherham at home last day which I think could also end in a draw. Still a lot to play for.
  • Options
    Scunny at home to Bradford City last day not Rotherham.
  • Options
    We just need to do what we have been doing lately and go for our win. Can’t be thinking about other permutations too much (be aware but not focused). We got to take win win and sod the rest attitude in to the next 4 games. It is in our own destiny!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    The main thing is that it's in our own hands. We went relying on anyone else to slip up on the last day of the season. If we don't get it, it's entirely down to us.

The way other results went yesterday we could have been left relying on others. That's why the win was key.
  • Options

I would prefer Scunthorpe to win on Tuesday, it takes away most of the stress next Saturday! And finishing 6th rather than 5th is fine by me, we won 2-0 at Shrewsbury 2 weeks ago, they won't be relishing facing us over 2 legs.

Bad result for Rochdale today. TWO penalties for Oxford, but then everyone gets them except us!

To be fair you have to get into the penalty first to get a penalty and let's face it we don't do that often enough!
  • Options
    TBH, through history of the play-offs, on last day of the season, the team that needs to do it generally does. The only problem is that Rochdale need to do it too.
  • Options
    Question regarding the playoff dates (pre maturely assuming we will get there)

Is fixture A ... 3rd v 6th or is that fixture B?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/81456/play-off-semi-final-dates#latest
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

You would think that, Rotherham’s ground is being used on Sunday 13th for an under 17 Euro game.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

If Scunthorpe beat Plymouth then the three point difference to Plymouth means that we are there barring a big change (at least five) in goal difference on the final day.

If Plymouth win, matching the result of one of Scunthorpe or Plymouth would be enough to see us finish top 6. If one of the two draw then we can afford a draw. If one of them lose, we're guaranteed a place regardless of our result. If they both win, we must beat Rochdale to finish top six. Scunthorpe would be the team to miss out in that scenario.

And if it's a draw between them then we'd need at least the result at least one step down from Plymouth e.g. if they win at Gillingham, we need a draw and if they draw at Gillingham then our result is irrelevant because they'll be on 70 points and unable to catch us.

The above assumes no freak results like 7-0 to swing the goal difference.

• Options
    When you actually look at all three possible outcomes we are actually in quite a commanding position no matter what the result tues evening - 2 out of the 3 outcomes means a draw for us will pretty much guarantee we make it, in the third outcome (Plymouth win) strangely would actually be our best chance of finishing 5th (not that it will make much difference if it's 5th or 6th)

From a Plymouth perspective they really HAVE to win both their games or they will be relying on us or Scunny to slip up on last day. All the pressure is on Plymouth tomorrow - even a draw would suit Scunny to an extent - because they can afford to draw twice with their goal difference.
  • Options
    After all the grief..this just couldn't happen (could it?).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A draw leaves Plymouth two behind with a worse goal difference than us so we'd only need a point to assure play offs (barring a 6-0 win for Plymouth at Gillingham).

If Plymouth draw 0-0 with Scunny
    If we draw with Rochdale 1-1 or 0-0
    Plymouth win 4-0 at Gills they will have same points and goal diff but have scored more so we finish 7th

If we draw 2-2 and Plymouth go 0-0 & 4-0 we have same points , goal diff and goals scored !!!
    Anyone know what happens then head to head this season we are level both winning 2-0 at home
    Alphabetically we win so get in the play offs ner ner ner ner ner

I reckon we have a play off to get in the play offs , a one off game it’d have to be but where’s neutral cos it’s not fair they have more fans wherever they play
    ;-(

Being a weirdo and loving stress I’d like the freak scenario to happen.

Can someone find out what happens with the resulting all level scenario
    Maybe twatter the football league or Sky or whoever you kids go to for info!!
  • Options
    Scunthorpe's recent form at home isn't great. I certainly wouldn't rule out a Plymouth victory and, therefore, us needing a win on Saturday.
  • Options

A draw leaves Plymouth two behind with a worse goal difference than us so we'd only need a point to assure play offs (barring a 6-0 win for Plymouth at Gillingham).

Plymouth win 4-0 at Gills they will have same points and goal diff but have scored more so we finish 7th

If we draw 2-2 and Plymouth go 0-0 & 4-0 we have same points , goal diff and goals scored !!!
    Anyone know what happens then head to head this season we are level both winning 2-0 at home

I reckon we have a play off to get in the play offs , a one off game it’d have to be but where’s neutral cos it’s not fair they have more fans wherever they play
    ;-(

Playoff between us to see who is in the playoffs.
  • Options
    Not Twitter. Read it on this thread!
  • Options

Scunthorpe's recent form at home isn't great. I certainly wouldn't rule out a Plymouth victory and, therefore, us needing a win on Saturday.

Plymouth have 1 win in last 5 away and that was on 17th February so not in the best of recent form themselves.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

;-(

Playoff between us to see who is in the playoffs.
    Is it ?
  • Options
    3-0 scunnie and job done. means we will face shrewsbury on 10th & 13th may.
  • Options
    I think its almost certain for us to finish 6th, and therefore the Shrewsbury gig.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I saw that quite a few Plymouth fans put money on a top 6 finish at really long odds at the start of the season. 500-1 to go up, I think.
    They probably should have cashed out.
  • Options

3-0 scunnie and job done. means we will face shrewsbury on 10th & 13th may.

..Unless they then go on to lose on Saturday and we win... then its a Rotherham gig instead!