Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The playoff race

Comments

• Options

We will make the play-offs if we win our next 5 games. It won't happen of course. Bottlers.

Tbh even if we make the playoffs nearly the entire fan base will be expecting us to bottle it.
  • Options
    I don't think 8 points will be enough. Will need 10 or 11 imo. Maybe less if we take points off of the right teams in the process.
  • Options
    This division is crazy. I've just looked at the league table & Portsmouth have lost one more game than Rochdale who are in a relegation place at the moment.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I was confident until I just tried a results calculator and had us finishing 8th

Have you got a link to the calculator? I would also like to ruin my day.
  • Options
    Think some people are getting a bit carried away with talk of us "bottling it".

It was only until a good couple of recent wins that anyone thought we had a chance of the play offs anyway. Ok so we've not played well in the last 2 games but we're still 6th, it's still in our hands and we're more than capable of turning it on at home to a Scunthorpe side in dreadful form.

If results go our way, we could be 3 points clear of 7th by saturday night.
  • Options

It was only until a good couple of recent wins that anyone thought we had a chance of the play offs anyway. Ok so we've not played well in the last 2 games but we're still 6th, it's still in our hands and we're more than capable of turning it on at home to a Scunthorpe side in dreadful form.

Or in 10th place
  • Options

We have a culture of bottling it in certain games - I think that's fairly well established.
  • Options

Mate we are bottlers, a culture riddled within the club.

But a game with nothing riding on it up north on a Tuesday night in January when there’s snow and a rail strike that even Seb thought about missing, shit hot we are!!
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I was confident until I just tried a results calculator and had us finishing 8th

https://thefishy.co.uk/football-calculator.php

best one as you can select which teams you want to include.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-league-one/

I used this one. It's a bit fiddly because you have to go back and do the postponed games, which are shown as the white numbered boxes.
  • Options
    League calculator I posted doesn't mess around with goal difference. Its just a case of picking win/draw/lose, you can add goal difference later.

If you want to enter scores of each game individually use @Uboat link instead
  • Options

Both Scuntorpe and Portsmouth are now MUST win games. Win those and it is likely to happen. However after last nights abject display can't see it somehow.

• Options
    The problem imo now, is that team know charlton HAVE to come and win games (both home and away)
    This could be because on paper they have the hardest run of games, but only one of charltons is against a team outside of the top 9, where as other teams around charlton have 2 I believe ...

Could this mean that teams just play for a draw against Charlton?
  • Options

Croydon said:

Uboat said:

Croydon said:

I used this one. It's a bit fiddly because you have to go back and do the postponed games, which are shown as the white numbered boxes.
    Thanks both.

I have us finishing 8th, 5 points behind 6th.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Croydon said:

Uboat said:

Croydon said:

Thanks both.

I have us finishing 8th, 5 points behind 6th.
    Sounds about right to me.

• Options
    redman said:

Both Scuntorpe and Portsmouth are now MUST win games. Win those and it is likely to happen. However after last nights abject display can't see it somehow.

Pompey to me is a not lose game rather than one we have to win. A win would really help of course, but defeat would be disastrous

It wouldn't surprise me if we picked up something at Shrewsbury, I've a feeling that IF we can keep it tight there, we'll be able to nick a goal especially if Fosu is back by then
  • Options
    Currently I have us at:
    52% Playoffs
    48% Don't make playoffs
    100% Remoan in this league.
  • Options
    We need to beat Portsmouth basically if they win that one they'll nudge us out despite us winning on the last day.

Pos Team P GD Pts
    1 Wigan 46 +66 104
    2 Blackburn 46 +44 101
    3 Shrewsbury 46 +30 99
    4 Rotherham 46 +21 81
    5 Scunthorpe 46 +12 71
    6 Charlton 46 +6 71
    7 Portsmouth 46 +5 70
    8 Plymouth 46 +4 69
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

We need to beat Portsmouth basically if they win that one they'll nudge us out despite us winning on the last day.

Pos Team P GD Pts
    1 Wigan 46 +66 104
    2 Blackburn 46 +44 101
    3 Shrewsbury 46 +30 99
    4 Rotherham 46 +21 81
    5 Scunthorpe 46 +12 71
    6 Charlton 46 +6 71
    7 Portsmouth 46 +5 70
    8 Plymouth 46 +4 69

I would say Plymouth are almost certain of a play off place. Between Charlton and Pompey for 6th
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Pos Team P GD Pts
    1 Wigan 46 +66 104
    2 Blackburn 46 +44 101
    3 Shrewsbury 46 +30 99
    4 Rotherham 46 +21 81
    5 Scunthorpe 46 +12 71
    6 Charlton 46 +6 71
    7 Portsmouth 46 +5 70
    8 Plymouth 46 +4 69

Crazy if a side with 99 points doesn't go up automatically. It'd win you the league most seasons.

Anyone know the highest total gained by a side not going up?
  • Options
    I've got us finishing 7th by 1 point. Can see us winning Saturday then losing to Shrewsbury and Portsmouth, draw at home to Blackburn and then draw away to Rochdale. Slightly pessimistic but anything more will be a bonus for me.
  • Options
    Beat Scunny, beat Shrewsbury, draw to Pompey, lose to Rovers and beat Rochdale. That's my prediction.

I would say Plymouth and Rotherham have play off security, last spot between us, Pompey and Pboro. Shame we didn't take 6 points from the last two games otherwise it would be job done already imo
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Without predicting any Charlton results, this is the table I came up with:

• Options
    Omens don't look good - I remember being 3-0 up at Shrewsbury & still managed to lose. And then there is losing at home to the league leaders/champions on our last home game of the season AND with the club name beginning with the letter B (Burnley & Bournemouth)
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Pos Team P GD Pts
    1 Wigan 46 +66 104
    2 Blackburn 46 +44 101
    3 Shrewsbury 46 +30 99
    4 Rotherham 46 +21 81
    5 Scunthorpe 46 +12 71
    6 Charlton 46 +6 71
    7 Portsmouth 46 +5 70
    8 Plymouth 46 +4 69

Crazy if a side with 99 points doesn't go up automatically. It'd win you the league most seasons.

Anyone know the highest total gained by a side not going up?
    Crazy, but it's all set up for heartache, in which the team of the year in our division (when you consider their resources and where they were last season), despite being 20-30 points ahead of the 6th place team, doesn't get the promotion it deserves.
  • Options
    When's Fosu back? We're fooked without him.
  • Options

Everyone getting carried away again, whether it's "we've bottled it" .... or "we can still do it if we get to to 70-something points".

As always, you can only play 1 game at a time.

Scunny on Saturday, 3pm Saturday. Just pray the team bother to turn up.