Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The playoff race

Comments

• Options

Bristol Rovers
    Wimbledon
    Scunthorpe
    6 points needed from those 3 games.
    We got 1 point.
    Season well and truly over

Think that's an over exaggeration. Four or even three points would've been enough to keep us firmly in the hunt. Six would have us three points clear in fifth.

One point has given us a mountain to climb but it's doable.
    Not with our remaining fixtures it ain't
    We just beat 4th and 6th in the last couple of weeks. No reason why we can't get two wins from games against 2nd, 3rd and 7th.

Our last three results have been poor but we had won something like 5 in 21 before we beat Plymouth, Northampton and Rotherham.

It's doable and there's no reason to throw in the towel yet. Whether it will happen is another story of course.
    Our diamond formation isn't working any longer.

Three games in a row, we've been stopped from playing. Teams are pressing us high and denying us time and space on the ball.
    We've no width and no outlet.

It's back to the drawing board with fresh ideas.
    If not, there's only more of the same to come.
  • Options
    If we had been 4 points adrift of the play-offs coming into yesterday and had finished it in the same situation as now (2 points away) loads would say we still have a chance of pushing in. If you don't think we can do it when we are just two points away don't bother coming to the last four games and see you in August.
  • Options
    It's obviously not over yet, and quite likely before yesterday, Scunthorpe fans probably thought they'd blown their play off hopes. But suddenly they're now 5th and the dream is back on.

However given that we have to go to Shrewsbury and Portsmouth, have Blackburn at home plus a trip to a resurgent Rochdale who've got 10 points from 5 games, i'd say our play off hopes are pretty slim
  • Options
    My only hope is Charlton seem to do better when there's little expectation on them.
  • Options

If you don't think we can do it when we are just two points away don't bother coming to the last four games and see you in August.

Okay, thanks. Noted.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

If you don't think we can do it when we are just two points away don't bother coming to the last four games and see you in August.

Okay, thanks. Noted.
    Now if only Roger Johnson had been so eloquent....
  • Options

If we had been 4 points adrift of the play-offs coming into yesterday and had finished it in the same situation as now (2 points away) loads would say we still have a chance of pushing in. If you don't think we can do it when we are just two points away don't bother coming to the last four games and see you in August.

Is that you Karl?
  • Options
    edited April 2018

It's obviously not over yet, and quite likely before yesterday, Scunthorpe fans probably thought they'd blown their play off hopes. But suddenly they're now 5th and the dream is back on.

However given that we have to go to Shrewsbury and Portsmouth, have Blackburn at home plus a trip to a resurgent Rochdale who've got 10 points from 5 games, i'd say our play off hopes are pretty slim

As you imply all our opponents need points as much as us or, in Rochdale's case, arguably more than we do.

Hence my pessimism above. I don't think we have the bollocks to put it crudely even if we have the ability.
  • Options
    Only slim hopes now after the last 2 defeats. We probably need 9 or 10 points to make the Play-Offs and with 3 of the last 4 away and all of the games against teams with something to play for, it ain't happening. If only we hadn't dropped so many points late on in games from winning positions.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Uboat said:

Okay, thanks. Noted.
    Now if only Roger Johnson had been so eloquent....
    He fuckin was
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018

And Scunny have the likes of MK, Walsall & Bradford. I've revised my earlier thoughts after the Rotherham match when I thought the play-offs would be Shrews, Peterborough Us & Pompey & now going for Shrews, Pompey Rotherham & Scunny.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

As you imply all our opponents need points as much as us or, in Rochdale's case, arguably more than we do.

Hence my pessimism above. I don't think we have the bollocks to put it crudely even if we have the ability.
    Scunthorpe were without a win in a month ish and were probably thinking the same about their team until yesterday, now they're 5th.

A week is a long time in football. Get a result at Shrewsbury and let's go from there.
  • Options
    Opponents in the top nine of the league highlighted in bold:

Plymouth: Northampton (A), Rochdale (A), Rotherham (H), Scunthorpe (A), Gillingham (A) (2/5)

Charlton: Shrewsbury (A), Portsmouth (A), Blackburn (H), Rochdale (A) (3/4)

Portsmouth: Bradford (A), Charlton (H), Bury (A), Peterborough (H) (2/4)

Peterborough: Blackburn (A), Shrewsbury (A), Fleetwood (H), Portsmouth (A) (3/4)

Scunthorpe: Walsall (H), MK Dons (A), Plymouth (H), Bradford (H) (1/4)

• Options
    edited April 2018
    we need to win 2 of them and draw the other 2 not gonna happen, losing to wimbledon for the 2nd time in a season has cost us a trip to wembley :smile:

of course doable and will be at pompey on saturday, and will get behind the boys, the way we are atm i wouldnt rule out of us getting a completely undeserved 1-0 at shrewsbury.
  • Options

Peterborough's run in is very similar to ours!

• Options

I think it's a little foolhardy to give up on the play-offs just yet. Yes the fixtures are tough on paper but the game isn't played on paper.

We win at Shrews and results go in our favour we are back in the top 6 again.

I reckon we will need at 3 wins and a draw if not win all 4.

I really feel we'll find our performance levels will raise one more time.

We need to win tomorrow to have any chance of the playoffs

Apart from anything else we desperately need the confidence boost of 3 points, as I imagine the mood must be pretty down now in the camp
  • Options

I think it's a little foolhardy to give up on the play-offs just yet. Yes the fixtures are tough on paper but the game isn't played on paper.

We win at Shrews and results go in our favour we are back in the top 6 again.

I reckon we will need at 3 wins and a draw if not win all 4.

I really feel we'll find our performance levels will raise one more time.

We need to win tomorrow to have any chance of the playoffs

Apart from anything else we desperately need the confidence boost of 3 points, as I imagine the mood must be pretty down now in the camp
    Anything but a win tomorrow is the end. And if we win that the same applies for Saturday. Really hope for a win tomorrow to at least make going to Pompey worth the travel for all us going
  • Options
    I've said all season 7-12th as we are unable to put a decent winning run together for a decent period. If that changes and we win 3 out of 4 including beating Portsmouth we'll do it, but on the history of the season so far that looks unlikely.

I don't see us turning over Blackburn which means beating Shrews, Portsmouth and Rochdale. of course possible and here's hoping, but it'll need other teams to help us out.

On the plus side Peterborough have also a tough run in, so you'd hope that takes them out of the picture, but I can see Plymouth (game in hand also) and Scunthorpe holding their positions so in my view the top 6 will remain as is (albeit maybe a different order of 4th - 6th).

But lets hope for a thumping win tomorrow, Bradford stuffing Portsmouth and Gillingham doing Rotherham although I don't think we'd catch them now anyway.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I've said all season 7-12th as we are unable to put a decent winning run together for a decent period. If that changes and we win 3 out of 4 including beating Portsmouth we'll do it, but on the history of the season so far that looks unlikely.

I don't see us turning over Blackburn which means beating Shrews, Portsmouth and Rochdale. of course possible and here's hoping, but it'll need other teams to help us out.

On the plus side Peterborough have also a tough run in, so you'd hope that takes them out of the picture, but I can see Plymouth (game in hand also) and Scunthorpe holding their positions so in my view the top 6 will remain as is (albeit maybe a different order of 4th - 6th).

But lets hope for a thumping win tomorrow, Bradford stuffing Portsmouth and Gillingham doing Rotherham although I don't think we'd catch them now anyway.

Both Bradford and Gillingham stuttering towards the season's finish. I can't believe how much Bradford have slumped, after we won up there in October they were 3rd (and us 4th). And Plymouth last.
  • Options
    "The playoff race"...
    once again not featuring an entry from CAFC
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

don't bother coming to the last four games and see you in August.

Looks like the players are taking that advice...
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I think it is a disgrace - when you watch us passing about for fun in areas the opposition doesn't press us in and isn't worried about - and we still cock it up doing that sometimes - and the players who do that can't string any meaningful attacking passes together - they have been stealing a living this season. Bar a few notable exceptions!

I'd say we still had a chance if we weren't so full of cowardly players who are not even half as good as they might think they are!
  • Options
    the performance against wimbledon killed all for me i think.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Plymouth's game in hand is against Scunthorpe.

They can't both win.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Rob7Lee said:

Plymouth's game in hand is against Scunthorpe.

They can't both win.
    True but both are 2 points above us with Plymouth having the game in hand. Worst case is a draw. Scunthorpe effectively due to goal difference are 3 points above.
  • Options
    Plymouth are about to have two games in hand on us.

They don't play tonight
  • Options

Plymouth are about to have two games in hand on us.

They don't play tonight

Or we have two games out of hand with them...
  • Options
    If by some miracle we win tonight we will start hoping again. Better we aren't put through that. It's always the hope that kills you.
  • Options
    Pompey at Bradford tonight. All other teams (that are relevant to the last two play off places) are not in action. Rotherham are at Gillingham but not catchable now.
  • Options
    can maybe sneak a win tonight, shrewsbury arent going to get autos and will now look to concentrate on playoffs.

Pompey will be well up for Saturday a big crowd behind them aswell as a big turn out from us ends usually in a draw at best

blackburn are going to want to push on and win the league and will likely be too much for us

rochdale could well need points to stay up and by that time we will have zilch to play for.

total 5 points i'm going for, of course hope to be wrong.

Wimbledon and rovers away we really needed 6 points and a draw out of scunnie.

another fecking season in league 1 beckons highlight will be sunderland away as can likely team it up with a weekend to Newcastle.