Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The playoff race

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Scunny on Saturday, 3pm Saturday. Just pray the team bother to turn up.

Why do we want Scunny to turn up? Couldn't we just claim a 3-0 win or something?

Save us having to risk injury and fatigue to get the same score ...
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Obviously I hope we go up, but I'll feel so sorry for Shrewsbury of they miss out in the playoffs.

I won't ...... if by some miracle it's Charlton that deny them.

Of course we might have to play them 3 times in the next 3 weeks yet ...... !

• Options

When's Fosu back? We're fooked without him.

Hopefully Tuesday, but probably on the bench
  • Options
    The play off race is over as far as Charlton Athletic are concerned.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Peterborough lose to Rochdale and Plymouth/Portsmouth draw. Was a great opportunity for us today...

• Options
    LenGlover said:

I have to agree.
  • Options
    Its not over but three wins and a draw needed imo. Oh ok, all over.
  • Options
    It's the hope that kills you.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

LenGlover said:

I have to agree.
    Me too, sadly. I threw in the towel after the MK Dons game.
  • Options
    I'll say it again - we are not good enough. Weak players. Bottled it Tuesday and today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Three wins needed from four games and that still may not be enough at this point. Got to keep the faith until its mathematically impossible.
  • Options

Three wins needed from four games and that still may not be enough at this point. Got to keep the faith until its mathematically impossible.

Good luck with that mate!
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Good luck with that mate!
    Who would've predicted three wins against Plymouth, Northampton and Rotherham?

Stranger things have happened in football. Shrewsbury have had a couple of bad results themselves of late... :-)
  • Options
    Bristol Rovers
    Wimbledon
    Scunthorpe
    6 points needed from those 3 games.
    We got 1 point.
    Season well and truly over
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

It's not over in terms of the points available and the teams to play... but the performance today gave little optimism that we will be able to win at least 3 of our remaining games
  • Options

Bristol Rovers
    Wimbledon
    Scunthorpe
    We got 1 point.

Think that's an over exaggeration. Four or even three points would've been enough to keep us firmly in the hunt. Six would have us three points clear in fifth.

One point has given us a mountain to climb but it's doable.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

It's not over in terms of the points available and the teams to play... but the performance today gave little optimism that we will be able to win at least 3 of our remaining games
    I'm being blindly optimistic regardless. COYR
  • Options

LenGlover said:

I'm being blindly optimistic regardless. COYR
    I admire your optimism. I think we need will need 9 points - we don’t even look like scoring a goal at the moment.

But you never know......
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    .......is ovahhhhh just a bit later in the season than expected. And to think I've seen things most people wouldn't believe. Ajdarevic walking the hallowed turf with a pack of 20 Marlboro red tucked in the shoulder of his shirt. I watched Tony Watt glitter in the dark in the corner of the covered end choir. All those moments will be lost in time, like… tears in rain. Time to die.
  • Options

Bristol Rovers
    Wimbledon
    Scunthorpe
    We got 1 point.

Think that's an over exaggeration. Four or even three points would've been enough to keep us firmly in the hunt. Six would have us three points clear in fifth.

Absolutely. Not over by a long chalk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bristol Rovers
    Wimbledon
    Scunthorpe
    We got 1 point.

Not with our remaining fixtures it ain't
  • Options
    Like many others, I am wondering what was said or occurred behind the scenes. Surely the opportunity and incentive were there to go out and finish the job, yet suddenly dropping the interest, and throwing in the towel? 

Teams doing well in the play-offs are often those who burst through into the top six at the finish, with momentum and impetus. Three wins from three ........... then what happened?
  • Options

Bristol Rovers
    Wimbledon
    Scunthorpe
    We got 1 point.

Not with our remaining fixtures it ain't
    We just beat 4th and 6th in the last couple of weeks. No reason why we can't get two wins from games against 2nd, 3rd and 7th.

Our last three results have been poor but we had won something like 5 in 21 before we beat Plymouth, Northampton and Rotherham.

It's doable and there's no reason to throw in the towel yet. Whether it will happen is another story of course.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

.......is ovahhhhh just a bit later in the season than expected. And to think I've seen things most people wouldn't believe. Ajdarevic walking the hallowed turf with a pack of 20 Marlboro red tucked in the shoulder of his shirt. I watched Tony Watt glitter in the dark in the corner of the covered end choir. All those moments will be lost in time, like… tears in rain. Time to die.

Love that.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Bristol Rovers
    Wimbledon
    Scunthorpe
    We got 1 point.

Mathematically possible but not in reality. We have played 3 winnable games & got just 1 point. Why do you think we are going to suddenly go unbeaten in the last 4, when we are playing much better teams.

Today was typical Charlton. all we had to do was win. All around us our rivals were dropping points & the team roll over & get their tummies tickled. Once again we don't turn up for a big game. Can you seriously see us winning at Pompey ?? Next Saturday is going to be an embarrassment. Only reason I'm not sending back our 2 tickets is that Golfie Jnr has been looking forward to going there all season as he'd not been before - and if they promoted it may be another good few years before we play them again.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
  • Options

Mathematically possible but not in reality. We have played 3 winnable games & got just 1 point. Why do you think we are going to suddenly go unbeaten in the last 4, when we are playing much better teams.

Precisely because it’s Charlton, is why

You know the drill

Bunch of eeyores on here, eh

Don’t get me wrong I’ve seen how shite we’ve been in the last three, but I saw how good we were in the three before that, how shite we were at the end under robinson and how brightly we started the season as well. Add in the fact that I’ve seen us make easy things look difficult and difficult things look surprisingly easy over the decades I’ve been a supporter.....

.... and I just know that I can’t rule out us beating Shrews, Pompey and Blackburn then losing to an already relegated Rochdale on the last day

We just don’t know, do we. Chins up one and all.

• Options
    You know the Charlton way, play teams at the bottom that we should beat beat and lose, play the teams at the top of the league and eh, lose.
  • Options

Bristol Rovers
    Wimbledon
    Scunthorpe
    We got 1 point.

Today was typical Charlton. all we had to do was win. All around us our rivals were dropping points & the team roll over & get their tummies tickled. Once again we don't turn up for a big game. Can you seriously see us winning at Pompey ?? Next Saturday is going to be an embarrassment. Only reason I'm not sending back our 2 tickets is that Golfie Jnr has been looking forward to going there all season as he'd not been before - and if they promoted it may be another good few years before we play them again.
    We are capable of getting wins when we don't expect it.
  • Options
    I think it's a little foolhardy to give up on the play-offs just yet. Yes the fixtures are tough on paper but the game isn't played on paper.

We win at Shrews and results go in our favour we are back in the top 6 again.

I reckon we will need at 3 wins and a draw if not win all 4.

I really feel we'll find our performance levels will raise one more time.