Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Superb match. Great entertainment for 3 and a bit days solid. No other sport can match anything like that
  • edited August 2018
    Great match and great result. I decided to read some opinion on the match by various cricket writers and one of the reports I checked out is from Cricinfo:

Five paragraphs. Four of them are about Kohli. (One of them about an innings he played in Adelaide once).

Ffs, no wonder people call it “CricIndia”. Surely they’ve got a duty to be more balanced? If I was reading the report by the New Delhi Times I’d expect a little bias, but CricInfo is supposed to be the World’s cricket resource isn’t it?
    This has often irritated me, (but only slightly,) but this one has really got my goat.
  • I was tempted to stay in my Newcastle hotel room and watch the cricket instead of going to the game...

Of course if I had done that, Kohli would have scored the winning runs, while Charlton would have won 2-0...
  • terrific win .. but Smith n Taylor .. SORT OUT the batting line up
  • edited August 2018

Great match and great result. I decided to read some opinion on the match by various cricket writers and one of the reports I checked out is from Cricinfo:

Five paragraphs. Four of them are about Kohli. (One of them about an innings he played in Adelaide once).

Ffs, no wonder people call it “CricIndia”. Surely they’ve got a duty to be more balanced? If I was reading the report by the New Delhi Times I’d expect a little bias, but CricInfo is supposed to be the World’s cricket resource isn’t it?
    This has often irritated me, (but only slightly,) but this one has really got my goat.

Yes, Cricindia has such an Indian bias, even games not involving India, the comments are generally from names like Sandeep or Ajit - then again just shows the love that Indians have for cricket. Cant deny though that its ball-by-ball service is second to none.

Does anyone else think that Ben Stokes is starting to look more and more like Freddie in looks and actions?

Edgbaston is absolutely the best place to watch Test cricket for atmosphere - its more like a football crowd than cricket plus also our record there is very good- i've always suggested that the 1st Test should always be played at Edgbaston as Lords test matches always seem to go against us results wise.
  • Ben Stokes said this win should shut some mouths, does he mean Mr Thundercock?
  • Edgbaston is definitely the best ground for atmosphere. However the ECB tried to cock this up be starting the game on a Wednesday. Wednesday/Thursday crowd quite a bit lower than Friday was and than Saturday would have been. Especially the Hollies; other stands pretty full earlier. Start tests on Thursday or even better a Friday.
  • What team to play in the next test? Certainly won't be many changes but Stokes can't play, so maybe Porter. In the batting we need more balance and have a right hander in the top 3 ideally. Not sure who though
  • redman said:

Edgbaston is definitely the best ground for atmosphere. However the ECB tried to cock this up be starting the game on a Wednesday. Wednesday/Thursday crowd quite a bit lower than Friday was and than Saturday would have been. Especially the Hollies; other stands pretty full earlier. Start tests on Thursday or even better a Friday.

Looking at the schedule it's all over the place.

2nd test starts on a Thursday
    3rd test - Saturday
    4th test - Thursday
    5th test - Friday
  • Sponsored links:

• redman said:

Edgbaston is definitely the best ground for atmosphere. However the ECB tried to cock this up be starting the game on a Wednesday. Wednesday/Thursday crowd quite a bit lower than Friday was and than Saturday would have been. Especially the Hollies; other stands pretty full earlier. Start tests on Thursday or even better a Friday.

The 'problem' is that you have to have at least 3 rest days in between tests and starting on wednesday allows them to start on Thursday for the next one. Its all about cramming in 2 lots of back to back test- thats another reason why they are pushing for 4 day tests.. As i said before, the real cock up is not having any international cricket between the end of the World Cup and 1st August.
  • redman said:

What team to play in the next test? Certainly won't be many changes but Stokes can't play, so maybe Porter. In the batting we need more balance and have a right hander in the top 3 ideally. Not sure who though

If the pitch looks like taking spin, then maybe Moeen will come in for Stokes?
  • redman said:

3rd test - Saturday
    4th test - Thursday
    5th test - Friday
    Chris, i'm assuming Lords is 2nd and Oval 5th?, but where and when are the other 2?
  • redman said:

3rd test - Saturday
    4th test - Thursday
    5th test - Friday
    Chris, i'm assuming Lords is 2nd and Oval 5th?, but where and when are the other 2?
    Trent Bridge then Rose Bowl
  • redman said:

3rd test - Saturday
    4th test - Thursday
    5th test - Friday
    Trent Bridge then Rose Bowl
    Thanks KaF
  • One of the questions of today is re MOM - ok its usual to give it to a player on the winning team, but i thought Kohlis contribution may have been one of those occasions when it might have gone elsewhere.
  • One of the questions of today is re MOM - ok its usual to give it to a player on the winning team, but i thought Kohlis contribution may have been one of those occasions when it might have gone elsewhere.

Agreed, in a bowler friendly game, his batting was miles above everyone else’s
  • LenGlover said:

Well I've done all I can.

£5 on India at 2/5.

It's up to you now England. The betting Gods are with you make sure you pitch the ball up and attack.

Don't go down half cock.

Thanks Len.
  • Kohli's unsporting, vitriolic, expletive-laden send off of his opposite number was so far outside the spirit of cricket, he should be be passed over for Man of the Match in this Test.

If it were me, I'd choose Sam Curran.
  • Leuth said:

In before canters suggests the identity of that superstar

Man of the match!
  • Sponsored links:

• Ah, wasn't aware of that. In any case, @cantersaddick is thick as fuck - so there's that... :-)

Oi!

Only just read this!!!
  • Riviera said:

The best summer weather wise for a generation, school holidays and no England cricket from 17th July - 1st August. Ridiculous.

• Ah, wasn't aware of that. In any case, @cantersaddick is thick as fuck - so there's that... :-)

Oi!

Only just read this!!!
    Whoops, there was meant to be a link with it! Makes no sense as it is!
  • Leuth said:

Rashid is going to get destroyed ffs. Might score some runs though

12-1-40-3 including THE big wicket of Kohli in the first innings. One swallow and all that and he will, undoubtedly, go for a few at some stage but he takes wickets and doesn't need to be used to get some control. The likes of Anderson and Broad can do that if necessary.
  • Rashid certainly showed enough when he came on yesterday to justify his place

Of course, the real test will be a flat pitch, with India 200-2.
  • Rashid will certainly retain his place, as obviously will Sam Curran (probably here to stay for years now). The replacement for Stokes is a difficult one - do they bring back Moeen? however i think they are then playing into Indias hands as the likelihood would be that Lords is a dry,spinners wicket. A tricky one, obviously dictated by the Lords wicket, but would hope that its green enough for us to maybe only play 4 front line bowlers, ie Broad,Anderson,Curran and Rashid , with Root dipping in for 4/5 overs if need be.
    So, an extra batter for Stokes, but who is there? Burns ?
    When is Woakes due back?
  • edited August 2018

redman said:

The 'problem' is that you have to have at least 3 rest days in between tests and starting on wednesday allows them to start on Thursday for the next one. Its all about cramming in 2 lots of back to back test- thats another reason why they are pushing for 4 day tests.. As i said before, the real cock up is not having any international cricket between the end of the World Cup and 1st August.
    I realise the problem but that doesn't get round the fact that this issue is another nail in the Test "demise". If they had started the test series a week or even two earlier then the problem can be solved.
    My confidence of the ECB on this issue and many other issues is almost zero
  • Ollie Pope replaces Dawid Malan in the squad, while Woakes replaces Stokes.

Joe Root (capt), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler, Alastair Cook, Sam Curran, Keaton Jennings, Ollie Pope, Jamie Porter, Adil Rashid, Chris Woakes.
  • How the fuck does Woakes just stroll back in like that, with no form to speak of?

Rory Burns is still in the 'run selector's cat over' bracket I think
  • I mean if Jennings doesn't get a score in the next game I'm certain Burns will get a go