Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Star indicates home grown

18 home grown. 8 not home grown (including 3 overseas of which only 1/2 Are around at any given time)

Gus Atkinson*
    Gareth Batty - Yorkshire
    Scott Borthwick - Durham
    Rory Burns*
    Rikki Clarke*
    Sam Curran*
    Tom Curran*
    Jade Dernbach*
    Matthew Dunn*
    Dean Elgar - Overseas
    Aaron Finch - Overseas
    Ben Foakes - Essex
    Arun Harinath*
    Will Jacks*
    Nic Maddinson - overseas
    Conor McKerr*
    Stuart Meaker*
    Morne Morkel - Kolpak
    Ryan Patel*
    Mathew Pillans*
    Ollie Pope*
    Jason Roy*
    Jamie Smith*
    Mark Stoneman- Durham
    Freddie van den Bergh*
    Amar Virdi*

Add in the likes of Jordan and Carberry and others I can't remember who are around at other counties. And Ansari who retired after reaching test status. Don't think any county fan compete with that?
  • Gareth Batty was picked up by Surrey when he was young and was in are academy many years ago.
  • msomerton said:

Gareth Batty was picked up by Surrey when he was young and was in are academy many years ago.

Played for Yorkshire before his first spell with us. Then left for Worcs before returning. He is a Yorkshireman through and through
  • Canters - I am not suggesting for one minute that Surrey haven't produced a number of "home" products. However, they do have a massive advantage over any number of counties for two basic reasons - the ability to influence individuals to go to Surrey because of their undoubted connections with those managing and coaching at the highest level of the game and for want of a better word "money".

Why would they have wanted to come to Kent as opposed to Surrey? No reputation of being able to fast track players through to England (Northeast is still waiting despite moving for example) and no financial incentives to join them as a youngster. In fact, if you play age group cricket at Kent then the parents have to fund virtually everything. Kit, that's playing and training, they have to pay for the coaching and on occasions they have to provide tea not just for their own players but for the opposition too. That's the reality.

So, I repeat. If you were the parents of the Currans, Roy, Dernbach, van den Bergh (lives and born in Bickley) etc etc go to Kent when there are far more obvious benefits in joining Surrey? Unless, of course, you were born and bred and have a sense of loyalty to your home County. It's a bit like joining Charlton or Man City. And in Freddie van den Bergh's case it is probably a case that he should have stayed at Charlton.
  • @StigThundercock anything to add?

With only one batsman who can cope consistently in English conditions against the world’s leading seam bowler this Indian side should be put away comfortably inside 3 days. This tiny margin of victory owes most to Sam Curran’s fearlessness. No cracks are papered over. The abrogation of responsibility by the top order batsmen seasoned by the mechanical stupidity of the captain means these matches will be much closer than is reasonable. Just as against that very poor WIndies side last summer, at least one of these games will be a humiliating thrashing, but the captain and the cowards above him will hide behind a series win pretending that all has gone as well as it should.
  • The Curran brothers are clearly homegrown, you can tell by their lovely thick Surrey accent ;)

Star indicates home grown

18 home grown. 8 not home grown (including 3 overseas of which only 1/2 Are around at any given time)

Gus Atkinson*
    Gareth Batty - Yorkshire
    Scott Borthwick - Durham
    Rory Burns*
    Rikki Clarke*
    Sam Curran*
    Tom Curran*
    Jade Dernbach*
    Matthew Dunn*
    Dean Elgar - Overseas
    Aaron Finch - Overseas
    Ben Foakes - Essex
    Arun Harinath*
    Will Jacks*
    Nic Maddinson - overseas
    Conor McKerr*
    Stuart Meaker*
    Morne Morkel - Kolpak
    Ryan Patel*
    Mathew Pillans*
    Ollie Pope*
    Jason Roy*
    Jamie Smith*
    Mark Stoneman- Durham
    Freddie van den Bergh*
    Amar Virdi*

Add in the likes of Jordan and Carberry and others I can't remember who are around at other counties. And Ansari who retired after reaching test status. Don't think any county fan compete with that?

• Fair point. Don't deny that.

I was simply arguing against the myth that Surrey buy talent and don't produce their own.

On VDB. Freddie is very highly rated in the Surrey setup. He has had to wait a while and not had many chances but we have invested a lot in his development and keeping him at the club. He is very much being developed to take over from Batty as white ball spinner next year and will be our option two play 2 spinners on the longer format. His batting has improved significantly and he does have a future with us.
  • As a Sussex fan i'm just counting the days until Archer can play for England, he is different gravy
  • The Curran brothers are clearly homegrown, you can tell by their lovely thick Surrey accent ;)

Gus Atkinson*
    Gareth Batty - Yorkshire
    Scott Borthwick - Durham
    Rory Burns*
    Rikki Clarke*
    Sam Curran*
    Tom Curran*
    Jade Dernbach*
    Matthew Dunn*
    Dean Elgar - Overseas
    Aaron Finch - Overseas
    Ben Foakes - Essex
    Arun Harinath*
    Will Jacks*
    Nic Maddinson - overseas
    Conor McKerr*
    Stuart Meaker*
    Morne Morkel - Kolpak
    Ryan Patel*
    Mathew Pillans*
    Ollie Pope*
    Jason Roy*
    Jamie Smith*
    Mark Stoneman- Durham
    Freddie van den Bergh*
    Amar Virdi*

Sorry which county brought them through? They both (And moddle brother Ben) spent a number of years in our youth system before being brought through into the first team. Not sure how that doesn't count.
  • Fair point. Don't deny that.

I was simply arguing against the myth that Surrey buy talent and don't produce their own.

On VDB. Freddie is very highly rated in the Surrey setup. He has had to wait a while and not had many chances but we have invested a lot in his development and keeping him at the club. He is very much being developed to take over from Batty as white ball spinner next year and will be our option two play 2 spinners on the longer format. His batting has improved significantly and he does have a future with us.

He will be 27 next season and has played just 11 first class, T20 and 50 over matches in total. He would, undoubtedly, have played more matches at another county.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yorkshire
    Azeem Rafiq
    Johnny Bairstow Test matches
    Gary Ballance Test matches
    Tim Bresnan Test matches
    Harry Brook
    Karl Carver
    Ben Coad
    Matthew Fisher
    Jack Leaning
    Alex Lees
    Adam Lyth Test matches
    Steven Patterson
    Adil Rashid Test matches
    Joe Root Test matches
    Joe Shaw
    Johanthan Tattersall
    Jordan Thompson
    James Wainman
    Matthew Waite
    Jared Warner

Gus Atkinson*
    Gareth Batty - Yorkshire
    Scott Borthwick - Durham
    Rory Burns*
    Rikki Clarke*
    Sam Curran*
    Tom Curran*
    Jade Dernbach*
    Matthew Dunn*
    Dean Elgar - Overseas
    Aaron Finch - Overseas
    Ben Foakes - Essex
    Arun Harinath*
    Will Jacks*
    Nic Maddinson - overseas
    Conor McKerr*
    Stuart Meaker*
    Morne Morkel - Kolpak
    Ryan Patel*
    Mathew Pillans*
    Ollie Pope*
    Jason Roy*
    Jamie Smith*
    Mark Stoneman- Durham
    Freddie van den Bergh*
    Amar Virdi*

Sorry which county brought them through? They both (And moddle brother Ben) spent a number of years in our youth system before being brought through into the first team. Not sure how that doesn't count.
    From the same part of Surrey as Roy and Jade.......
  • Star indicates home grown

Gus Atkinson*
    Gareth Batty - Yorkshire
    Scott Borthwick - Durham
    Rory Burns*
    Rikki Clarke*
    Sam Curran*
    Tom Curran*
    Jade Dernbach*
    Matthew Dunn*
    Dean Elgar - Overseas
    Aaron Finch - Overseas
    Ben Foakes - Essex
    Arun Harinath*
    Will Jacks*
    Nic Maddinson - overseas
    Conor McKerr*
    Stuart Meaker*
    Morne Morkel - Kolpak
    Ryan Patel*
    Mathew Pillans*
    Ollie Pope*
    Jason Roy*
    Jamie Smith*
    Mark Stoneman- Durham
    Freddie van den Bergh*
    Amar Virdi*

Foakes is good, the rest are shite (sorry, still seething after our "performance" yesterday)
  • So much for him sticking up for a couple of guys getting homophobic abuse as was the word at the time on social media!
  • Riviera said:

So much for him sticking up for a couple of guys getting homophobic abuse as was the word at the time on social media!
    Yes, that part of the prosecution case is perhaps the most unexpected (and disappointing) part so far.
  • I know it is the prosecutions view at present, but it doesn't sound too good for him.
  • Be interesting if it all goes off in the dock as the defendants are all there together. So Ryan and Ryan were armed with a broken road sign and a bottle and still got sprazzied .. irrespective of the conflicting evidence re the 'gay men', surely if two tooled up Ryans got sorted by a lone Ben, self defence must be a very valid defence
  • Riviera said:

So much for him sticking up for a couple of guys getting homophobic abuse as was the word at the time on social media!
    perhaps it pays not to listen to social media & wait for the evidence. Maybe why the ECB didn't want him on the Ashes tour as they knew the real reason for the fracas.
  • Riviera said:

perhaps it pays not to listen to social media & wait for the evidence. Maybe why the ECB didn't want him on the Ashes tour as they knew the real reason for the fracas.
    I don't! Can't help reading it though when it's posted on here.
    However it has been reported than on the arresting officer's vestcam Stokes says that he was sticking up for some gay men.
    Best we let justice take it's course.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018
    It sounded like some PR brainstorm bullshit when I first heard about him sticking up for the gays. That said I didn't think Stokes would be stupid enough to go out and deliberately provoke a bit of gay bashing. Fortunately for him his ginger affliction will be used to mitigate any sentence so his England career shouldn't be harmed too much.
  • Now being reported that after the initial flicking of the cigarette at the gay men one of the Ryan's did start abusing the gay men which cause Stokes to react.

Also being reported that he "went way beyond what could be considered self defence" and that after knocking the first Ryan out he paused for a bit then knocked the other one out.

Don't think this is gonna and well.
  • Now being reported that after the initial flicking of the cigarette at the gay men one of the Ryan's did start abusing the gay men which cause Stokes to react.

Also being reported that he "went way beyond what could be considered self defence" and that after knocking the first Ryan out he paused for a bit then knocked the other one out.

If he is found guilty, it should not end well for him
  • Don't forget your only hearing the prosecution side at the moment

Didn't you see the CCTV that came out at the time of the incident ?
    Stokes clearly went beyond self defence.
    I'm not judging him, as I don't know the facts.
  • What annoys me the most is the fact they went out on the lash on a weekday night in the middle on an ODI series, terrible professionalism from Stokes & Hales.

Didn't you see the CCTV that came out at the time of the incident ?
    Stokes clearly went beyond self defence.
    I'm not judging him, as I don't know the facts.
    Ohh yes I saw the video. Was just repeating what had been reported.
  • edited August 2018

What annoys me the most is the fact they went out on the lash on a weekday night in the middle on an ODI series, terrible professionalism from Stokes & Hales.

Yes there's that. Incredibly poor show.

But there's also the homophobic abuse and beating people up.

On reflection, breaking the ECB's curfew pales compared to breaking the law. In my opinion.
  • Chizz said:

What annoys me the most is the fact they went out on the lash on a weekday night in the middle on an ODI series, terrible professionalism from Stokes & Hales.

Yes there's that. Incredibly poor show.

But there's also the homophobic abuse and bating people up.

On reflection, breaking the ECB's curfew pales compared to breaking the law. In my opinion.
    Genuine lol.