Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• McBobbin said:

Maybe one day we will have Pope, Foakes, Bairstow and Butter in the same team.

Ok, who do people think is the greatest wicketkeeper batsman of all time? I'm torn between Sangakkara (does he really count?) Or Andy "Essex legend" Flower :)

gilchrist for me ..not sure if we can allow sanga
  • McBobbin said:

Maybe one day we will have Pope, Foakes, Bairstow and Butter in the same team.

Ok, who do people think is the greatest wicketkeeper batsman of all time? I'm torn between Sangakkara (does he really count?) Or Andy "Essex legend" Flower :)

Gilchrist?
  • johnny73 said:

Riviera said:

lolwray said:

not sure if woakes has enough bowling behind him to go into a 5 day test .be good to see how Curran goes again ..some talk about Ian Bell wanting his place back again

God why won't this talk about Ian Bell go away. You can tell the people who follow county cricket and those who don't. The last 2 years in division 1 he scored barely any runs in all formats including no centuries at an average of barely 20. His lack of runs (and Trotts) was a big reason why they went down. He's dropped down to division 2 and has managed to score a few runs against lesser bowling attacks (2 centuries at a reasonable average). That's given him a bit of confidence to get a few decent scores at an average strike rate in the slogfest.

No way does his form warrant a test recall. Really really frustrates me. He was a great player for us over many years but his time has gone.
    We had it with Ramps but in a different way. He kept scoring in the CC and heavily so but people couldn't understand that he simply didn't have what it took to achieve at the highest level and kept calling for his recall up to 2009.
    Bell was a fine player but his time has long passed.
    I agree to a certain extent. But with ramps there was at least the argument of sheer weight of runs, consistently, in division 1 over a period of years. Plus there was the argument that him coming into the side as an experienced pro who had captained Surrey and knew his game inside out and would be coming into a more settled side than the one of the 90s, he would be more able to transfer his county form to the international stage.

Bell has none of that. No weight of runs (other than the last couple of months) the opposite of consistent and in the second division. His captaincy flopped and he failed to score the runs to keep his side up (when they had begun the season talking about winning the championship).

Bell only really had success for England at 5 or 6 which is where we have a whole host of options. He's not the answer to our opener or 3 problems so ignore him.
    Neither Bell or Ramps were worthy of a recall but at least, once upon a time, Bell was a proven test player. Ramps failed repeatedly at test level.

Ramps test average 27.32
    Bell test average 42.69
    for someone who played a lot of tests Bells average (as a modern day player ) shows that he flattered a bit to deceive ..i feel he had the game to have achieved more
  • Riviera said:

PaddyP17 said:

I suppose one question that comes up is...why did Stokes go to a gay club?

1) It's not a gay club. (They're actually down the bottom of Park Street, near the Banksy, down the stairs just before College Green - 10 mins or so from Mbargos. OMG did £1 Jagerbombs on a Wednesday and was always an excellent night out.)

2) Who gives a shit if he's gay or not?
    His wife?
    What century are you in? If he went into a gay bar (which he didnt), it doesn't define his sexuality. I have been in a few before, doesn't mean squat. As long as you are comfortable with who you are its just another club, which you might end up getting chatted up by someone of the same sex lol
  • lolwray said:

johnny73 said:

Riviera said:

lolwray said:

not sure if woakes has enough bowling behind him to go into a 5 day test .be good to see how Curran goes again ..some talk about Ian Bell wanting his place back again

God why won't this talk about Ian Bell go away. You can tell the people who follow county cricket and those who don't. The last 2 years in division 1 he scored barely any runs in all formats including no centuries at an average of barely 20. His lack of runs (and Trotts) was a big reason why they went down. He's dropped down to division 2 and has managed to score a few runs against lesser bowling attacks (2 centuries at a reasonable average). That's given him a bit of confidence to get a few decent scores at an average strike rate in the slogfest.

No way does his form warrant a test recall. Really really frustrates me. He was a great player for us over many years but his time has gone.
    We had it with Ramps but in a different way. He kept scoring in the CC and heavily so but people couldn't understand that he simply didn't have what it took to achieve at the highest level and kept calling for his recall up to 2009.
    Bell was a fine player but his time has long passed.
    I agree to a certain extent. But with ramps there was at least the argument of sheer weight of runs, consistently, in division 1 over a period of years. Plus there was the argument that him coming into the side as an experienced pro who had captained Surrey and knew his game inside out and would be coming into a more settled side than the one of the 90s, he would be more able to transfer his county form to the international stage.

Bell has none of that. No weight of runs (other than the last couple of months) the opposite of consistent and in the second division. His captaincy flopped and he failed to score the runs to keep his side up (when they had begun the season talking about winning the championship).

Bell only really had success for England at 5 or 6 which is where we have a whole host of options. He's not the answer to our opener or 3 problems so ignore him.
    Neither Bell or Ramps were worthy of a recall but at least, once upon a time, Bell was a proven test player. Ramps failed repeatedly at test level.

Ramps test average 27.32
    Bell test average 42.69
    for someone who played a lot of tests Bells average (as a modern day player ) shows that he flattered a bit to deceive ..i feel he had the game to have achieved more
    For a long time didn't Bell have the record of never having scored a hundred for England when no other player had scored one in the innings?
  • He did indeed @Addick Addict just watched the second episode of "mind games" on sky sports. Focused on ramps and hick and how/why the failed.

I think Bell suffered to a lesser extent by being the fall guy on a couple of occasions and being shuffled up and down the order. Was a run machine at 5 or 6 and should have been left there.
  • Ryan Hale acquitted of affray.

Trial continues for the other two
  • I was hoping there would be one more glorious summer day to watch another amazing day of cricket and take my mind off of a very uneventful transfer deadline day. Damn you weather gods, back to F5
  • Apart from the 2009 Ashes series were he actually battled well and produced some match winning innings, his test career was one of playing well in a winning side and playing badly when we struggled. If he came in at 150-2 then he'd look like a world beater and get a decent score full of free flowing drives. If he came in at 10-2 then it's soon be 11-3 and the game would go south. Other than that Ashes series I can't remember a time when he came in with England in trouble and rebuilt the innings.

That's why he has a decent average, because he was very good at making hay whilst the sun shone, but for a player of his undoubted ability I was always disappointed. I thought/hoped that 2009 would be a turning point, that he'd learnt how to tough it out and rebuild an innings in trouble, but he soon returned type.
  • Apart from the 2009 Ashes series were he actually battled well and produced some match winning innings, his test career was one of playing well in a winning side and playing badly when we struggled. If he came in at 150-2 then he'd look like a world beater and get a decent score full of free flowing drives. If he came in at 10-2 then it's soon be 11-3 and the game would go south. Other than that Ashes series I can't remember a time when he came in with England in trouble and rebuilt the innings.

That's why he has a decent average, because he was very good at making hay whilst the sun shone, but for a player of his undoubted ability I was always disappointed. I thought/hoped that 2009 would be a turning point, that he'd learnt how to tough it out and rebuild an innings in trouble, but he soon returned type.

Was man of the series for 2013 Ashes with 3 hundreds and 2 fifties in 10 innings, ending up with average of 62 - the next batter in averages was KP with 38.
    I remember he basically won the Ashes that series single handed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bell was perhaps slightly unlucky to be dropped, but never quite did enough in the immediate aftermath to earn a recall. It's funny how players after a year out of the international team (whether due to injuries or form) can quickly become forgotten about by the selectors, the likes of Onions and Bresnan for example.
  • Bell was perhaps slightly unlucky to be dropped, but never quite did enough in the immediate aftermath to earn a recall. It's funny how players after a year out of the international team (whether due to injuries or form) can quickly become forgotten about by the selectors, the likes of Onions and Bresnan for example.

To be fair, Bresnan was due to injury. Didn't he have a bad elbow injury, and has never really been the same since. Lost a bit of zip.
  • Play abandoned for the day

At least the game has a chance of reaching the fifth day.

The weather forecast tomorrow isn't great either, and at the moment neither is Monday (day 5)

The weather forecast tomorrow isn't great either, and at the moment neither is Monday (day 5)
    and then on Saturday I'll be out from 12.30pm until 6pm for our first home game of the season. Great.
  • Oh well. Had. Good day in town at portobello road market and museum of brands! Now pissed and going to theatre with friends in Piccadilly. Got tickets for Sunday. Bumped into
    Lots of people from further afield waiting for their first visit to lords. Feel v sorry for them.
  • I did enjoy the Surrey love in on TMS earlier this morning with Stewart and Vaughan chatting about Pope and Sam and all things Surrey including all the young players we have coming through and the brilliant working the academy.

Also interesting to hear the ICC chief exec in the lunchtime slot. He was asked about the hundred ball stuff. While he didn't commit to saying he thought it was rubbish it came across pretty clear. He said he felt it went against all their research into why people didn't attend cricket and didn't solve any of the problems. He also said he didn't think there is this other great cricket audience that will be drawn to attend the new format that wouldn't already attend the blast.
  • Riviera said:

PaddyP17 said:

I suppose one question that comes up is...why did Stokes go to a gay club?

1) It's not a gay club. (They're actually down the bottom of Park Street, near the Banksy, down the stairs just before College Green - 10 mins or so from Mbargos. OMG did £1 Jagerbombs on a Wednesday and was always an excellent night out.)

2) Who gives a shit if he's gay or not?
    His wife?
    What century are you in? If he went into a gay bar (which he didnt), it doesn't define his sexuality. I have been in a few before, doesn't mean squat. As long as you are comfortable with who you are its just another club, which you might end up getting chatted up by someone of the same sex lol
    Oi! Calm down son and read the tread properly.
  • Oh well. Had. Good day in town at portobello road market and museum of brands! Now pissed and going to theatre with friends in Piccadilly. Got tickets for Sunday. Bumped into
    Lots of people from further afield waiting for their first visit to lords. Feel v sorry for them.

Yes, it must be a massive disappointment, especially for those who have travelled significant distances
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:

He did indeed @Addick Addict just watched the second episode of "mind games" on sky sports. Focused on ramps and hick and how/why the failed.

I think Bell suffered to a lesser extent by being the fall guy on a couple of occasions and being shuffled up and down the order. Was a run machine at 5 or 6 and should have been left there.

Bell had a major influence on our Ashes winning series in 2013, he often entered the crease at 30 odd -3.
  • I agree but that series was his zenith
  • I would counter those who say bell was unlucky to be dropped. The last 2 years he was in the test side he was terrible and averaged barely 20. It was so bad that his overall average dropped from very nearly 50 to 42, that's a huge swing. He was given a lot longer than many others to find form and he didn't. He very much deserved to be dropped and combines with 2 poor years in div 1 was 4 years of nothing.

Great in his day but his day was long gone 3 years ago let alone now.
  • WTF are we talking about Ian Bell!!!!?????
  • Riviera said:

WTF are we talking about Ian Bell!!!!?????

At least we're not talking about Surrey :lol:
  • I would counter those who say bell was unlucky to be dropped. The last 2 years he was in the test side he was terrible and averaged barely 20. It was so bad that his overall average dropped from very nearly 50 to 42, that's a huge swing. He was given a lot longer than many others to find form and he didn't. He very much deserved to be dropped and combines with 2 poor years in div 1 was 4 years of nothing.

Great in his day but his day was long gone 3 years ago let alone now.

Yes when he was moved to number 3 after averaging nearly 50 at 5 and 6.

Was man of the series for 2013 Ashes with 3 hundreds and 2 fifties in 10 innings, ending up with average of 62 - the next batter in averages was KP with 38.
    I remember he basically won the Ashes that series single handed.
    Maybe I'm getting 2009 and 2013 mixed up, thought it was further ago than 2013, but I know he had 1 decent ashes series
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Good analysis that.

It shows why he was deservedly dropped. The subsequent failures of many of the batsmen who've subsequently come into the team does also show that he was perhaps a bit unlucky! Ballance, Vince, Malan, Westley have all been tried and failed in the middle order. James Taylor might have made it, but after 7 matches he averaged 26 with no centuries.
  • I suppose one question that comes up is...why did Stokes go to a gay club?

It's not a gay club.
    How do you know?
    I looked at it's website.