Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45126702

Stokes claiming he stepped in to protect the 2 gay men (as per the previous story that came out last autumn)

Stokes claiming he stepped in to protect the 2 gay men (as per the previous story that came out last autumn)

that is what he is claiming.....the bouncers say otherwise. up to the jury to decide who is telling the truth.
  • Back to matters on the pitch....

have they said what the new playing times are (assuming there are some). I would assume a 10.30 start every day now & a finish at 6.30.....going to 7pm to get all the scheduled 90 overs per day in.

anyone ???
  • edited August 2018
    Going to 7pm today 11am start and forecast looks crap, potentially rain all day , I’ve seen one forecast rain 11.00 to 15.00 and one rain 15.00-19.00 ....
    Surely not another washout
    Draws come in to below evens
  • PaddyP17 said:

I suppose one question that comes up is...why did Stokes go to a gay club?

It's not a gay club.
    How do you know?
    Hi, former Bristol resident and party animal here.

Definitely not a gay club. Just a shithole.
    From my experience, pretty shit boozer for a party animal... :-)
  • MrOneLung said:

trescothick ?

Ben18 said:

John Crawley maybe?

Both good shouts but they were occasional wicket keepers unlike Pope who has always kept including for the England U19s and has good potential do the job for England on a regular basis.
    While I see the point of interest with regards to the number of wicket keepers in the side, has Pope kept in a first class match? (I don't know the answer)

If he hasn't then I'm not sure it's a talking point. If he has then fair dos.
  • edited August 2018
    McBobbin said:

Maybe one day we will have Pope, Foakes, Bairstow and Butter in the same team.

Ok, who do people think is the greatest wicketkeeper batsman of all time? I'm torn between Sangakkara (does he really count?) Or Andy "Essex legend" Flower :)

Not easy to find the stats, but from what I can tell Sangakkara played just over a third of his Test matches as a Wicketkeeper. Not sure he can be classed as a Keeper Batsmen.

However, in terms of the question, he averaged 57.4 compared to the (admittedly unreal) 51.5 of Flower.

Sanga is one of the best players to ever pick up a cricket bat!!

I don't know enough about their keeping expolits to comment on that though, and wouldn't want to make something up!

that is what he is claiming.....the bouncers say otherwise. up to the jury to decide who is telling the truth.
    Insightful that Golfie...

Almost like that's how most court cases work mate... ;-)
  • edited August 2018

MrOneLung said:

trescothick ?

Ben18 said:

John Crawley maybe?

Both good shouts but they were occasional wicket keepers unlike Pope who has always kept including for the England U19s and has good potential do the job for England on a regular basis.
    While I see the point of interest with regards to the number of wicket keepers in the side, has Pope kept in a first class match? (I don't know the answer)

He has - on his first class debut against Oxford Marylebone Cricket Club University. Don't know how many times he's done it since but Foakes is unlikely to give up the gloves all the time he sees keeping as a route into the England side. Buttler left Somerset for that reason. Surrey had at one point Foakes, Wilson, Burns, Foakes, Davies and Sanga in their squad and they are all keepers but only one can do the job at one time.

Pope was the keeper for the England Lions in July against India A and has always been described as a batsman/keeper.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018

MrOneLung said:

trescothick ?

Ben18 said:

John Crawley maybe?

Yes Pope has kept in 2 first class matches for Surrey (Foakes waa with the Lions) and a couple for the lions. He has also kept in a few T20's last season when the Surrey selectors were being idiots and not picking Foakes.
  • MrOneLung said:

trescothick ?

Ben18 said:

John Crawley maybe?

He has - on his first class debut against Oxford Marylebone Cricket Club University. Don't know how many times he's done it since but Foakes is unlikely to give up the gloves all the time he sees keeping as a route into the England side. Buttler left Somerset for that reason. Surrey had at one point Foakes, Wilson, Burns, Davies and Sanga in the same team and they are all keepers but only one can do the job at one time.

Pope was the keeper for the England Lions in July against India A and has always been described as a batsman/keeper.
    Okay, fair enough.

Was unaware about the Lions tour.

Admittedly opening myself up to ignorance rather than stating facts.
  • MrOneLung said:

trescothick ?

Ben18 said:

John Crawley maybe?

He has - on his first class debut against Oxford Marylebone Cricket Club University. Don't know how many times he's done it since but Foakes is unlikely to give up the gloves all the time he sees keeping as a route into the England side. Buttler left Somerset for that reason. Surrey had at one point Foakes, Wilson, Burns, Foakes, Davies and Sanga in their squad and they are all keepers but only one can do the job at one time.

I'll have you know we can still field 4 keepers if we want to and have in a couple games this season.

Foakes Pope and Burns (kept for surrey as recently as last season in T20's) are all regulars in the side and young Jamie Smith has joined them for 2 T20's this season.
  • Going back a few topics, James's Foster is the best keeper I have seen, gilly the best keeper bat's man and sanga the best batsman who can keep :-)
  • Can we have more talk about Surrey please
  • Can we have more talk about Surrey please

It is an affluent county, 2nd only to Berkshire. It does not have an EFL/PL football team, with Crystal Palace being in a London postcode. It does, however, contain number of top golf courses including the 3 "W's" of Windlesham, Woking & Worpesden....as well as The New Zealand club and Walton Heath.
  • MrOneLung said:

trescothick ?

Ben18 said:

John Crawley maybe?

Which makes it all the more ironic that due to call ups and injuries for the recent tour match, Surrey had to borrow a keeper (Rouse) from Kent!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Good analysis that.

It shows why he was deservedly dropped. The subsequent failures of many of the batsmen who've subsequently come into the team does also show that he was perhaps a bit unlucky! Ballance, Vince, Malan, Westley have all been tried and failed in the middle order. James Taylor might have made it, but after 7 matches he averaged 26 with no centuries.
    Taylor is in my mind a huge loss. He had just started to cement himself in that middle order as Bairstow has since. He really could have been a key piece of the puzzle for us. You really got the impression he was just starting to believe he belonged at that level ajd was just starting to show it. He was also doing the same in the one day side with that ton against the Aussies. Not to mention his catching at short leg.

I am certain that were he still playing we would have one less problem in that batting order.
    Will: Hated KP / loved Taylor.
    Joe: Loved KP / didn't think much of Taylor.

Interesting how sport works to be honest.

have they said what the new playing times are (assuming there are some). I would assume a 10.30 start every day now & a finish at 6.30.....going to 7pm to get all the scheduled 90 overs per day in.

anyone ???

They never start early, it's always 11:00, running to 7pm at the latest

Forecast for tomorrow looks fine, chance of rain on Sunday, and higher chance of rain on Monday!

anyone ???

Forecast for tomorrow looks fine, chance of rain on Sunday, and higher chance of rain on Monday!
    Not sure that's the case?

Definitely remember days in a test match starting early to catch up time because of rain in the previous day.

I say "definitely", maybe I'm wrong. Don't think I am though.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

trescothick ?

Ben18 said:

John Crawley maybe?

Which makes it all the more ironic that due to call ups and injuries for the recent tour match, Surrey had to borrow a keeper (Rouse) from Kent!
    Because all 3 of our first team keepers were in the lions and young Jamie Smith had exams.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Good analysis that.

It shows why he was deservedly dropped. The subsequent failures of many of the batsmen who've subsequently come into the team does also show that he was perhaps a bit unlucky! Ballance, Vince, Malan, Westley have all been tried and failed in the middle order. James Taylor might have made it, but after 7 matches he averaged 26 with no centuries.
    Taylor is in my mind a huge loss. He had just started to cement himself in that middle order as Bairstow has since. He really could have been a key piece of the puzzle for us. You really got the impression he was just starting to believe he belonged at that level ajd was just starting to show it. He was also doing the same in the one day side with that ton against the Aussies. Not to mention his catching at short leg.

I am certain that were he still playing we would have one less problem in that batting order.

Huge fan of KP the player - especially in his early years. Just not a fan of KP the man. Thoroughly enjoyed his time as a Surrey player (except last year when his only contribrution was running finch out). Taylor's character was unquestionable.

People generally identify with people who have a similar personality to themselves. ;)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Good analysis that.

Huge fan of KP the player - especially in his early years. Just not a fan of KP the man. Thoroughly enjoyed his time as a Surrey player (except last year when his only contribrution was running finch out). Taylor's character was unquestionable.

People generally identify with people who have a similar personality to themselves. ;)
    Ouch, brutal that. ;-)

@PaddyP17 & @Leeds_Addick ... have a word!! On second thoughts, don't - you'll fucking agree! :-)

In other news... Will mate, have you watched the KP documentary? Not thick or naive enough to realise that it isn't a show, just interested to know your thoughts on it.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Good analysis that.

Ouch, brutal that. ;-)

@PaddyP17 & @Leeds_Addick ... have a word!! On second thoughts, don't - you'll fucking agree! :-)

In other news... Will mate, have you watched the KP documentary? Not thick or naive enough to realise that it isn't a show, just interested to know your thoughts on it.
    Hahahah

No, I actually haven't watched it yet mate. Have read his book though!
  • Fair mate, have a watch when you can and let me know what you think.

Hope all is well your end by the way pal...

anyone ???

Definitely remember days in a test match starting early to catch up time because of rain in the previous day.

games in the southern hemisphere will try to catch up time before 11 because they do not have the same twilight as in the Northern, plus also weather conditions before 11 tend to be a bit cooler and damper and therefore not suitable for an early start in northern(anyone remember the September 50 over finals?
    Remember, tests here used to start at 11.30 with 6.30 finish and rest day on Sunday.

anyone ???

games in the southern hemisphere will try to catch up time before 11 because they do not have the same twilight as in the Northern, plus also weather conditions before 11 tend to be a bit cooler and damper and therefore not suitable for an early start in northern(anyone remember the September 50 over finals?
    Remember, tests here used to start at 11.30 with 6.30 finish and rest day on Sunday.
    Yep, was just about to come on here having checked BBC, and mug myself off, by saying "Erm, play due to start at 11!".

Makes sense in terms of cricketing reasons though.

Anyway, we've tossed and choose to bowl, while Woakes is chosen over Ali.

Pujara (who should have been a cert in the first test, despite Yorkshire form) and mystery spinner Kuldeep Yadav come in for Dhawan and the definition-of-average Umesh Yadav.

Kohli says he would have bowled. Should be a great test despite the loss of a days play... let's go!

anyone ???

Rest Day on the Sunday, finishing on Tuesday with a gap of a week before the next Test, during which the players would return to their counties and play a Gillette/Nat West Cup match on the Wednesday, a CC match starting Friday?, and a JP League match on the Sunday in the middle of it!
  • Jimmy jimmy!
  • India 0-1. Bowl them out for 75 today. Get 300 tomorrow. Two days to bowl India out :smile: