Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Blimmin bairstow.
  • Fucked it status: full fucked
  • Get in at 6:40, turn on the radio to check the score, and there was nothing as they'd gone off for bad light!

I started raining in NW London soon afterwards anyway, so we didn't lose that much play
  • I've got tickets for tomorrow, should I bother going? Looks like it's going to be a wash out..
  • Every weather site different but cannot see it being a washout?

Go.... England could skittle them with that weather and the new ball. Could be a great day...
  • Watching the highlights, really impressive innings by Woakes. He really looks like a Test batsman as opposed to a funky white ball batsman (like say Buttler)
  • PopIcon said:

I've got tickets for tomorrow, should I bother going? Looks like it's going to be a wash out..

We’re going. Can’t be any worse than Thursday where the closest to the ground we got was baker st.
  • PopIcon said:

I've got tickets for tomorrow, should I bother going? Looks like it's going to be a wash out..

We’re going. Can’t be any worse than Thursday where the closest to the ground we got was baker st.
    Closer than us @suzisausage. We only got to The Harp in Chandos Place and then indulged in a decadent 4 hour lunch in Rules....

Here is me and one of my mates sitting in The Harp and it looks like a nice day but it was peeing down then and all day.
  • edited August 2018
    Riviera said:

PopIcon said:

Closer than us @suzisausage. We only got to The Harp in Chandos Place and then indulged in a decadent 4 hour lunch in Rules....

Here is me and one of my mates sitting in The Harp and it looks like a nice day but it was peeing down then and all day.
    Looks like you made the most of it. I know they can’t predict but to know there would be nothing happening would be better than an all day maybe where we couldn’t take our eye off updates.

We ended up at portobello market then the museum of brands and marketing before we finally had a drink at Edgware Road at 3.30 as hoped the rain would stop at 4.....

Still used the refund to buy tix for the Saturday at the oval so expect rain.
  • Riviera said:

PopIcon said:

We ended up at portobello market then the museum of brands and marketing before we finally had a drink at Edgware Road at 3.30 as hoped the rain would stop at 4.....
    The Harp opens at 10.30am, we were first in!
  • Sponsored links:

• so..........should we declare now or bat on (assuming there is any play on sunday) and get a 300+ lead ??

obviously Root will wait to see the weather tomorrow but a lot of commentators I heard on TMS said we have enough runs already. Agree ??
  • More than enough, we need to give ourselves enough time to bowl them out and possibly have to knock a few off. We cannot lose from here as there simply isn't time but we could run out of time as the weather tomorrow is dodgy and end up drawing. However I am a fan of disrupting the oppo and 20 mins batting tomorrow if we start on time would really disturb the preparation of the top order of India. Much easier for them if we declare overnight.
  • Crikey - bloody hard to drop Woakes now if Stokes is available for next Test.
  • Not massively knowledgeable about cricket but trying to get into it... but had a question, apologies if it's a stupid one; re: the first day wash-out - if no cricket at all is played on the first day, why do they not consider the game postponed and move it to a Friday- Tuesday game instead? Is the venue already booked out on the Tuesday? or are the tickets priced higher on the scheduled last day so changing it would piss fans off? is it a TV thing? Just seems strange to me to just lose a fifth of the match like that...

I can't think of another equivalent in sport (understanding there probably isn't another sport where a game covers multiple days like cricket does) if a football match was delayed by an hour they wouldn't skip the first half would they?

I mean, if they had played an hour or so on day 1 I get it as the match has technically started but if you get no cricket at all...? Is there a good reason that I'm missing here?

• @Manicmania we used have "reserve days" to cover such events. The reason they don't now is there is simply to much cricket. They are already playing 5 tests in 6 weeks. Which in its self causes problems.

India have no chance to practise between tests, they could be punch drunk by the 4th test.
  • Not massively knowledgeable about cricket but trying to get into it... but had a question, apologies if it's a stupid one; re: the first day wash-out - if no cricket at all is played on the first day, why do they not consider the game postponed and move it to a Friday- Tuesday game instead? Is the venue already booked out on the Tuesday? or are the tickets priced higher on the scheduled last day so changing it would piss fans off? is it a TV thing? Just seems strange to me to just lose a fifth of the match like that...

I can't think of another equivalent in sport (understanding there probably isn't another sport where a game covers multiple days like cricket does) if a football match was delayed by an hour they wouldn't skip the first half would they?

I mean, if they had played an hour or so on day 1 I get it as the match has technically started but if you get no cricket at all...? Is there a good reason that I'm missing here?

Logistics.

All though your thoughts may seem logical it would have a domino effect on the rest of the fixture list because there needs to be a certain number of days between Test matches.
  • Crikey - bloody hard to drop Woakes now if Stokes is available for next Test.

England are backing themselves into a very strange position.

Woakes
    Stokes
    Potentially Curran
    Possibly Ali

Are more than capable test match batters, are Malan et al more likely to score runs?

England could, as soon as this summer, field a team that has 7 front line bowlers, 2 wicket keepers and 2 batsman.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

@Manicmania we used have "reserve days" to cover such events. The reason they don't now is there is simply to much cricket. They are already playing 5 tests in 6 weeks. Which in its self causes problems.

India have no chance to practise between tests, they could be punch drunk by the 4th test.

There has never been reserve days for Test matches, only for one day finals or possibly semi finals.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Cook has both
    Jennings has a ton and has bowled in tests
    Root has both
    JB has both
    Malan has a ton and an international wicket
    Butler has neither!
    Stokes has both
    Ali has both
    Broad has both
    Curran will get a ton one day
    Woakes has 9 1st class tons

Woakes now has a ton :-)
  • Overcast. Lords. Morning. New Duke ball. Unreal seam attack with a swinging ball. 250 run lead. Not bowling. Explain?
  • Sponsored links:

• Overcast. Lords. Morning. New Duke ball. Unreal seam attack with a swinging ball. 250 run lead. Not bowling. Explain?

Again just my rudimentary cricket knowledge... But as I understand it batsmen like to be on the pitch consistently to get their eye in, if the forecast is for rain later but a few hours at the start without rain, perhaps we are thinking use up that time and then take advantage of the on and off again every 30 minutes part of the day to get them out? If they had 2 hours unbroken at the start they could get a more comfortable base to start off with? Just a guess though it does seem a risky strategy if that's the case...
  • Unsettling to India to start as is for a bit. Would have given an advantage to them to prep overnight to bat. Anyway. Declared now and they’re coming out! Rain due in 15 mins.....
  • Declare and before you know it they're 0-1.

Daft.
  • I do see the method behind a short burst of batting to not let India settle into a particular mindset... will be interesting to see if those extra seven overs cost us by the end of the Test match.
  • Don't think that time will cost us.

Did more to disrupt India and further demoralize them. Every run towards a 300 lead puts them further out of the game. Even with the rain there is still loads of time left in the game. We will do this no problem.
  • Drizzle turned to rain. Knobs have brollies up in seats. 17-2.
  • Aleem Dar hates the rain.
  • Early lunch.
  • Riviera said:

Cafc43v3r said:

@Manicmania we used have "reserve days" to cover such events. The reason they don't now is there is simply to much cricket. They are already playing 5 tests in 6 weeks. Which in its self causes problems.

There has never been reserve days for Test matches, only for one day finals or possibly semi finals.
    I am sure they used to have reserve days and rest days, can't find any reference online, so I'll assume your right.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Riviera said:

Cafc43v3r said:

I am sure they used to have reserve days and rest days, can't find any reference online, so I'll assume your right.
    Rest days yes but no reserve days, but then again many years ago there were such things as timeless Tests where they just played on and on. One famous one involving England in South Africa only finished as England had to get their boat home!