Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Buttler should have been dropped IMO.

This
  • I think it is well out of order, to drop Sam Curran, man of the match to games ago, last match he's partnership with Woakes, helped us to get a big lead, in my opinion we should have kept the same team
  • Unless Curran has a bit of a knock, it's the wrong choice and sends the wrong message - hardly a meritocracy dropping Curran and not Buttler.
  • That's absurd
  • I think it is well out of order, to drop Sam Curran, man of the match to games ago, last match he's partnership with Woakes, helped us to get a big lead, in my opinion we should have kept the same team

Very harsh on him

I wonder if they'll try to dress it up "we're managing his workload" etc
  • Great message.........play well, train hard, do your stuff on the pitch....nah, we'll drop you for someone he gets pissed up & likes a scrap.

• Erm, not quite sure how to say this... they've dropped Sam Curran.

Joke decision
  • Buttler should have been dropped IMO.

Team should be unchanged IMO
  • Ben18 said:

Buttler should have been dropped IMO.

Team should be unchanged IMO
    I'm with this one. Winning side has done well. The 2 players Stokes is competing with have put in MOTM performances in the last 2 games. You might rest broad or Anderson but not at tent bridge given their records there and they haven't even bowled thay many overs this series. Stokes form with the bat has been poor for about 6 months so I wouldn't consider him ahead of any of them.

Left arm variation is key too. As long as he is fit and his form doesn't drop I would always play Sam for the left arm option.

Sends entirely the wrong message to Sam.
  • ECB are running scared

I wouldn’t have changed the team at all but very very harsh on Curran who won us the first test

Pope or Butler should have made way instead, Pope would have been the easier call as plenty of time on his side
  • Sponsored links:

• i think stokes should have sat this out ..very sorry for curran ..

be interesting to see who will get more wickets and runs over the longterm in test cricket
  • edited August 2018
    Batting average/bowling average
    Curran 36.75/23.50
    Stokes 34.28/32.97
    Flintoff 31.77/32.78
    Botham 33.54/28.40

Sam Curran doesn't deserve to be dropped. He averages 13 more with the bat than the ball in Tests, whereas Stokes is less than +2. I have included Flintoff's and Botham's career averages by comparison. Sam Curran, so far, isn't just an exceptional prospect - he already compares well against some of England's greatest-ever al-rounders.

Wrong decision in my view. I hope the selectors have made it very clear to Stokes that he has to perform if he wants to keep his place.
  • lolwray said:

i think stokes should have sat this out ..very sorry for curran ..

be interesting to see who will get more wickets and runs over the longterm in test cricket

I think Curran will make more runs, and Stokes will take more wickets. I can't imagine Curran's bowling being that effective in Australia or Asia
  • Sam Curran, has come into test cricket this summer and done very well, I think he should have played in all 5 tests, Stokes should have to wait he's turn, it is he's own fault he missed the last match and we never missed him as Chris Woakes came in and played so well.
  • Sam Curran, has come into test cricket this summer and done very well, I think he should have played in all 5 tests, Stokes should have to wait he's turn, it is he's own fault he missed the last match and we never missed him as Chris Woakes came in and played so well.

Not really Stokes' fault, he was found not guilty. But Buttler should definitely have been the one to go, Stokes at 6, Woakes at 7, Curran 8 and Rashid 9 is a more than good enough batting line up.
  • Erm, not quite sure how to say this... they've dropped Sam Curran.

That's outrageous!!
  • very unfair on Curran .. mind you, Stokes was the main man in the first test

Not really Stokes' fault, he was found not guilty. But Buttler should definitely have been the one to go, Stokes at 6, Woakes at 7, Curran 8 and Rashid 9 is a more than good enough batting line up.
    I think Jos Buttler should have the gloves and move Bairstow, to 4 with Pope at 5, Buttler played well against Pakistan and I don't think we need to drop anyone, we have just crushed India, so no need to make changes
  • Hard decision but can't see it's the right one. Curran has performed well and the variation of a left armer shouldn't be underestimated. Poor decision imho.
  • Only justified if Sam Curran is carrying a knock or, at just 20, struggling with the physical and mental demands being made of him.

In any other circumstance either Buttler or Rashid should have made way (Trent Bridge is not a spinners' paradise and Root can chip in if needed) or Stokes himself sat it out.
  • Sponsored links:

• I cant believe Sam Curran has been dropped.Great little player and offers something different to what we've got bowling wise.I would of dropped Buttler.
  • Cant see what the big problem is tbh. Stokes is obviously currently the better player, and Sams chance will come again very soon, and he'll be playing for England for best part of 2 decades.
  • Dropping a Surrey player can never be justified. :wink:
  • Dropping a Surrey player can never be justified. :wink:

Even at 2nd slip?
  • edited August 2018
    Looking on the bright side of course, if it all comes on top after the match the ginger Rocky will be handy to have around...
  • Rishabh Pant makes his debut for India. He replaces Karthik behind the stumps, who's batting has been pants this series...

• The thing with Curran being drop, I agree it's harsh but feel it is correct.

If you left out rashid or butter one of the 3 all rounders would bat at 9 and one would not bowl many overs. It's highly likely that Anderson, Broad plus 2 will bowl them out. Also possible that no 9 won't bat. 5 seamers at trent Bridge in this weather is pointless.

No one not Sam, Tom, Mr and Mrs Curran, grandma Curran or Great aunt flo would argue that Sam is CURRENTLY better than either Woakes or Stokes.

Harsh but fair and hope that it was done in as positive fashion as possible.
  • But we'd be on a slippery slope with butter.
  • We win the toss and invite India to bat, or try to at least.

32-6 at lunch?
  • 250-260 India’s runs with the spread bookies