Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• India going really well here............
  • Riviera said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Riviera said:

Cafc43v3r said:

@Manicmania we used have "reserve days" to cover such events. The reason they don't now is there is simply to much cricket. They are already playing 5 tests in 6 weeks. Which in its self causes problems.

India have no chance to practise between tests, they could be punch drunk by the 4th test.

There has never been reserve days for Test matches, only for one day finals or possibly semi finals.
    I am sure they used to have reserve days and rest days, can't find any reference online, so I'll assume your right.
    Rest days yes but no reserve days, but then again many years ago there were such things as timeless Tests where they just played on and on. One famous one involving England in South Africa only finished as England had to get their boat home!
    There were a few of them......
  • Broad was bowling like a dream today
  • Wilkes! Great appeal. 50/50 convinced.

116 for 7
  • England win by an innings and 159 runs.
    I'm pleased Suzie saw a great days play.
  • Pathetic performance by India really. They need to turn things round or this series could be a humiliation!
  • England win by an innings and 159 runs.
    I'm pleased Suzie saw a great days play.

Thanks! It was great. The refund for Thursday has paid for Saturday tix at oval. Will rain again for sure. Place your bets now.

Motm Woakes?
  • Pathetic performance by India really. They need to turn things round or this series could be a humiliation!

India must feel demoralised, Series gone, captain with back problems, wouldnt mind betting, with Kohli involved, that there is some inner turmoil too.Sides with character and good captaincy dont capitulate like that.
    Next test is at Trent Bridge then Rose Bowl then Oval - it might only be the 5th test where they get a pitch that suits them - they could well be 4 down by then.
  • India got to bat on the two most overcast days, but even so, they didn't apply themselves nearly well enough against an inspired attack
  • Who will we leave out when Stokes returns to the side? It would be hard on Pope or Curran if it was one of them. I've got a feeling it could be Buttler.
  • Sponsored links:

• The original plan was to rest Anderson and Broad for a test each, the bowling load has been so low that they don't need to at the moment.

As Bob Key said on sky sports this evening, is Stokes currently a better bat than Pope?

If the answer is yes, then it's Pope that misses out. If its no, it's either Rashid based on conditions or Curran like for like.

I half joked that England would play with 7 bowlers. They could line up like this before the end of the summer

Cook
    Jennings
    Root
    JB
    Stokes
    Butler
    Woakes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Broad
    Anderson

Now for the winter they need a second spinner and from the above team it could be Jennings is the most vulnerable. So it could evolve into

Cook
    Ali
    Root
    JB
    Stokes
    Butler
    Woakes
    Curran
    Rashid
    Broad
    Anderson

It wasn't as far out as I thought when I said it!
  • Woakes has bowled well in England, but nowhere near as well out the country... Whilst he's not alone in that, I wouldn't ink his name on the teamsheet
  • McBobbin said:

Woakes has bowled well in England, but nowhere near as well out the country... Whilst he's not alone in that, I wouldn't ink his name on the teamsheet

More likely to score runs than most "batsman" they have picked over the last 2 years...

Yes, buy nothing really to do with Rashid.
    Even Ashwin didn't look dangerous on that pitch.

Yes, buy nothing really to do with Rashid.
    Even Ashwin didn't look dangerous on that pitch.
  • Who will we leave out when Stokes returns to the side? It would be hard on Pope or Curran if it was one of them. I've got a feeling it could be Buttler.

I doubt Stokes will be available for Nottingham, and why would you change the team anyway after that performance?

The pathetic Indian batting has also eased the workload of the English bowlers, none of our bowlers bowled 30 overs in the match, never mind an innings! I can't see England dropping Rashid to play 5 seamers, so the options are really to drop Buttler for Stokes or rest one of the other pace bowlers, maybe at Southampton if the next match is more taxing.
  • I think you keep the same team, even if Stokes is available, he cant expect to walk straight back in.
  • Following the Stokes court case and wondering why the gay couple weren't called to give evidence?

And also why wasn't Alex Hales called to give evidence either seeing as he was very much present at the time of the fighting?
  • Following the Stokes court case and wondering why the gay couple weren't called to give evidence?

And also why wasn't Alex Hales called to give evidence either seeing as he was very much present at the time of the fighting?

Yeah I wondered that. Particularly as the judge noticed the fact but then said best not to speculate on why. Very strange.
  • Sponsored links:

• Slightly odd how Ryan Hale was cleared so quickly. If the case against him was so weak, why was he charged?
  • Ashes 03 and 07 in England???
  • Sorry meant 93 & 97!!!
  • Yes, one sided series will kill Test cricket.

This truncated series is what India wanted, the only thing that will change this is if there's a backlash from their supporters back home, and I suspect that a lot of them don't care. England fans are a bit different, when we were stuffed down under, most cricket fans here deeply cared
  • Good point, I think that Kohli deeply cares about what happens with the test team, as he knows that his legacy depends on it, the rest of them look like they don’t have the stomach for the fight in foreign conditions and can’t wait to go home.

Heard a very interesting story the other day, in that Murali Vijay and Dhanesh Khartik can’t stand each other, as Vijay had an affair with her whilst she was with Khartik, and is now married to her with two kids.

I bet that makes for some headaches for Kohli when he is setting the field!
  • Erm, not quite sure how to say this... they've dropped Sam Curran.
  • Good point, I think that Kohli deeply cares about what happens with the test team, as he knows that his legacy depends on it, the rest of them look like they don’t have the stomach for the fight in foreign conditions and can’t wait to go home.

Heard a very interesting story the other day, in that Murali Vijay and Dhanesh Khartik can’t stand each other, as Vijay had an affair with her whilst she was with Khartik, and is now married to her with two kids.

I bet that makes for some headaches for Kohli when he is setting the field!

Who?
  • Erm, not quite sure how to say this... they've dropped Sam Curran.

A massive call that by Root and the England management, and one likely to ramp up the pressure on Stokes even more
  • Buttler should have been dropped IMO.