Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• What has happened to Haseeb Hameed who was going to be the next Boycott ?

last time i checked he had an average of 8 in first class cricket this season.

He's only 21 so he has a lot of time, but hope he doesnt fall out of love with the game.
    He's not been the same player since he broke his hand twice in quick succession.

I think his problems may be more mental now.

These sports psychologists they witter on about need to start earning their money.
  • Stokes playing sensibly, defend the good ball hit the bad ones

It's not the first time he's done this either

He's only 21 so he has a lot of time, but hope he doesnt fall out of love with the game.
    A batsman consistently scoring that poorly shouldn't be given 'a lot of time' by either club or country. He's not a child and shouldn't be treated like one.
    But he can obviously do the business, batsmen especially need time to get through slumps in form. Being too cut throat ultimately hurts teams.
    England already have way too many mentally fragile batsmen. I'm not convinced that molly coddling him and guaranteeing him unlimited second chances is the way to toughen him up for a test career.
  • MrOneLung said:

Byron Gould to open

Nice and long overdue crossover from the Club Cricket thread.

In similar vein, I've just noticed that I managed to bat longer in our 3rd XI match on Saturday (40 overs) than the entire England team managed the following day (38.2 overs). And I'm pretty bad.

A batsman consistently scoring that poorly shouldn't be given 'a lot of time' by either club or country. He's not a child and shouldn't be treated like one.
    But he can obviously do the business, batsmen especially need time to get through slumps in form. Being too cut throat ultimately hurts teams.
    England already have way too many mentally fragile batsmen. I'm not convinced that molly coddling him and guaranteeing him unlimited second chances is the way to toughen him up for a test career.
    but the answer isn't to drop willy nilly, otherwise we get the car crash that was the england selection process in the 90's. Maybe a spell in 2nd xi cricket might do his confidence the world of good. But consistency of selection is important.
  • I reckon that Buttler & Stokes are OK for the rest of the series ((:>)
  • edited August 2018
    173-4 at tea, some application and discipline at last
  • Ridiculous odds by PP. England are now the favourites and they still need almost 350 runs with four more sessions to play.
  • they have England at 14/1 and India red red red hot faves at 1/20
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

they have England at 14/1 and India red red red hot faves at 1/20

Yeah, sorry. That was a typo. My point is the odds are terrible. 14/1? More like 140/1.
  • PopIcon said:

MrOneLung said:

they have England at 14/1 and India red red red hot faves at 1/20

Yeah, sorry. That was a typo. My point is the odds are terrible. 14/1? More like 140/1.
    Of course we won't win but all bookies remember Ladbrokes 500/1 offered against England in 1981!
  • PopIcon said:

Ridiculous odds by PP. England are now the favourites and they still need almost 350 runs with four more sessions to play.

typo? Admit you thought England were 14/1 and India 25/1 lol? I just hope you didn't stick £100 on that 25/1 shot
  • PopIcon said:

Ridiculous odds by PP. England are now the favourites and they still need almost 350 runs with four more sessions to play.

typo? Admit you thought England were 14/1 and India 25/1 lol? I just hope you didn't stick £100 on that 25/1 shot
    If they were the odds I'd stick a lot on both! And pray it wasn't a draw!!
  • Moeen on for a very, very serious all-round haul
  • edited August 2018
    buttler's saved his place for quite some time with that knock imo. Very good battling knock, just what you need at that point of the order, collingwood used to hit those knocks all the time there for england. shame about the collapse.
  • buttler's saved his place for quite some time with that knock imo. Very good battling knock, just what you need at that point of the order, collingwood used to hit those knocks all the time there for england. shame about the collapse.

Stokes showed the right character too. All of which makes the failings of the top 4 even more glaring
  • buttler's saved his place for quite some time with that knock imo. Very good battling knock, just what you need at that point of the order, collingwood used to hit those knocks all the time there for england. shame about the collapse.

Stokes showed the right character too. All of which makes the failings of the top 4 even more glaring
    The top four is England 's weakness.
    We have lots of decent players to play at 5 6 7 or 8
    But the top order is not good enough.
  • Root needs to move back to four and we need three openers.
  • Should be a good day's cricket tomorrow
  • Sponsored links:

Most people at the beginning of this year were saying that Root HAS to bat at 3 !
    After Moeens innings today, i suppose he'll come into the reckoning, especially as he now sits top of the averages.Maybe Rashid will get the push for him.
    Obviously todays display has put paid to people saying Buttler should go.
    So, next test could see maybe 3 changes - Burns for Jennings, Foakes for Bairstow if unfit, and Ali for Rashid. Would like to see Sam come in for a bit of variety , but that would only likely happen if they decide to drop Broad.

• If Rashid and Anderson can bat all day tomorrow, it will be fine :smiley:
  • You watch Anderson get out first ball tomorrow

I'm really pleased for Joss Buttler, he looks like a mate of mine from old. Hard as nails my mate is and Joss looks the part, then sounds like a choirboy when he speaks
  • ross1 said:

If Rashid and Anderson can bat all day tomorrow, it will be fine :smiley:

Be interesting to see the crowd tomorrow.
  • Carter said:

You watch Anderson get out first ball tomorrow

I'm really pleased for Joss Buttler, he looks like a mate of mine from old. Hard as nails my mate is and Joss looks the part, then sounds like a choirboy when he speaks

Think I would use a different analogy.....

This
  • edited August 2018
    I was one of those calling for Root at three (because he could probably do a job there) but it’s clearly not working so put him back into his best position at 4 and work the team out around him.
  • Carter said:

You watch Anderson get out first ball tomorrow

Joss looks hard as nails??? Seriously?

As for his accent, he sounds like a yokel!
  • I was one of those calling for Root at three (because he could probably do a job there) but it’s clearly not working so put him back into his best position at 4 and work the team out around him.

I don't think 3 or 4 makes much difference. In this innings both openers in both innings went close together, so arriving at 3 or 4 was much the same.

Personally, I still think he was the wrong choice as captain, and I think it's this extra task that's affecting his batting. I would have given it to Jimmy on a short term basis