Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Leuth said:

Which one of those facts means he should be given a chance?

I meant it should based on his First Class average - which isn't good enough but the other two facts actually influence the decision making.
  • Root and Pope, 2 more crap shots
  • Didn't see Roots but Pope wow what a fucking div , chasing that so far ouside off stump , idiotic shot
  • Moeen Ali 157* against Yorkshire ;)
  • Leuth said:

I meant it should based on his First Class average - which isn't good enough but the other two facts actually influence the decision making.
    He's had chance after chance.

He ain't no test cricketer.
  • Didn't see Roots but Pope wow what a fucking div , chasing that so far ouside off stump , idiotic shot

Simply copied his mindless captain in playing a dreadful stroke when he should be digging in and setting an example.

We cannot cope with being tied down and not scoring. We panic. We are never in a million years getting the runs so why are we playing expansive shots???
  • Leuth said:

His average this season is pretty good, 621 runs at 44, that's what got him his recall
  • I don't think a 1st class average of 34 entitles you to anything. 37.72 does though....
  • Great quote from the wise old sage Athers " You can leave the ball alone from time to time in Test cricket."
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

He's had chance after chance.

He ain't no test cricketer.
    I don't disagree

Simply copied his mindless captain in playing a dreadful stroke when he should be digging in and setting an example.

We cannot cope with being tied down and not scoring. We panic. We are never in a million years getting the runs so why are we playing expansive shots???
    I think Root was having the ball angled in at his stumps by Bumrah so he prolly felt he had to play at it (which he didn't), Popes was a delivery going wide and wider but Root should still do better
  • Leuth said:

His average this season is pretty good, 621 runs at 44, that's what got him his recall
    In Division 2 which doesn't count. Otherwise Sam Northeast would have been picked last season.
  • Leuth said:

In Division 2 which doesn't count. Otherwise Sam Northeast would have been picked last season.
    Jennings is in div 1 (Lancashire)
  • recalls for Ian Bell, James Vince, Moeen Ali and Sam Curran .. still leaves the issue of who opens ? .. will Bairstow be OK for the rest of the series and when will the selectors take the publicised risk of resting Anderson & Broad ? .. any answers/guesses/hopes and wishes ?
  • recalls for Ian Bell, James Vince, Moeen Ali and Sam Curran .. still leaves the issue of who opens ? .. will Bairstow be OK for the rest of the series and when will the selectors take the publicised risk of resting Anderson & Broad ? .. any answers/guesses/hopes and wishes ?

It can't be long before Robson and Lyth are given another chance :-(

Duckett, Westley plus of course Ballance as well

Duckett, Westley plus of course Ballance as well
    Prizes for all. Everyone gets a go.
  • We really are a bit mediocre aren't we? Bring back Bopara I say!
  • Leuth said:

Apologies of course he is - thinking he was still at Durham.
  • Sponsored links:

Not against India or Australia that's for sure.
  • Leuth said:

Apologies of course he is - thinking he was still at Durham.
    Durham players have either left to join Lancashire or Surrey!

Not against India or Australia that's for sure.
    Although some of the old stagers who played throughout the county season would be laughing at them needing a rest.
  • We have a break of over a week before the 4th Test, no need to rest bowlers surely?
  • Outstanding over from Bumrah to Root.

Botham says: Dillee bowled me an over like that once. He came down and said to me "Beefy, you hold the thing still and I'll aim at it".

Hahaha.

I thought that quote came from Fred Trueman................(obviously not to Beefy though)
  • What has happened to Haseeb Hameed who was going to be the next Boycott ?

last time i checked he had an average of 8 in first class cricket this season.

He's only 21 so he has a lot of time, but hope he doesnt fall out of love with the game.

He's only 21 so he has a lot of time, but hope he doesnt fall out of love with the game.
    A batsman consistently scoring that poorly shouldn't be given 'a lot of time' by either club or country. He's not a child and shouldn't be treated like one.
  • Double hundred now for Moeen.

A batsman consistently scoring that poorly shouldn't be given 'a lot of time' by either club or country. He's not a child and shouldn't be treated like one.
    But he can obviously do the business, batsmen especially need time to get through slumps in form. Being too cut throat ultimately hurts teams.