Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Leuth said:

What is this 'Dom Bess' of which you speak

Leuth, are you hearing voices again ?
  • edited August 2018
    Shami b Ali 0

195-8

Ali on a hat trick, but that was the end of the over, so we'll have to wait.
  • Gunning for Curran's MOTM cheque here is Mo
  • Leuth said:

Gunning for Curran's MOTM cheque here is Mo

Both justifying their recalls for this match!
  • We bowled Moeen

Jimmy working the tail and Pujara over slightly here
  • edited August 2018
    Sharma c Cook b Ali 14

227-9

It looked like there was no bat to me, but no reviews left :smile: 5 wickets for Ali.
  • 5fer for Moeen!

Elsewhere, I see Notts have signed Duckett from Northants.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45368703
  • edited August 2018
    Should never have been dropped. He had a great summer last year against South Africa and West Indies so should’ve been retained for this series.
  • Kind of wishing he'd been helping Worcestershire defend 314 rather than the shower we had instead :(
  • edited August 2018
    Bumrah c Cook b Broad 6 (hit on the thumb or finger) :smile:

Pujarah 132 no

273 All Out India lead by 27 runs
  • Sponsored links:

• I bet Cook and Jennings wish Bumrah had lasted 15 more minutes!
  • How many wickets will we lose tonight ?
  • Pujara is quality. Just hope our established players can make a game of this
  • It's a very good test match, let's hope England can score around 350 in there second innings
  • It's a very good test match, let's hope England can score around 350 in there second innings

That's a bit optimistic, the way we've been batting and the pitch has been behaving...
  • Test match on, we desperately need a sensible start, no early silliness like finding ourselves 30 for 3 before lunch

I hope Jennings gets a score and Cook doesn't get out early

That's a bit optimistic, the way we've been batting and the pitch has been behaving...
    Always look on the bright side of life
  • what do you reckon we need 2nd innings to have a chance ?? 250 ?? 300 ?? 350 ??. I think we need to get at least 250....thus leaving them 220 to win. Anything less and it will be hard. Cant see us getting over 300 though.....
  • What a test match. Let’s hope we apply ourselves a bit better second dig and set them a competitive total.
  • Sponsored links:

• Got to set at least 300 in my opinion so 330+ from tomorrow hopefully, even better if we can give ourselves 5 or 6 overs to get stuck into their openers.

In reality, probably all out by tea and India halfway to the target for no loss by the close of play.
  • edited September 2018

Should never have been dropped. He had a great summer last year against South Africa and West Indies so should’ve been retained for this series.

I don't mean to call you out individually mate, but just making the point that selection is easier in hindsight.

But in the team you put forward on August 20th, it didn't have Ali in it!
  • edited September 2018
    Fair point. I’ll take that on the chin. I do remember thinking it was unfair to drop him for in the first place and then bring in Rashid, especially given Rashid’s less than fantastic Test record.
  • What was shambolic was dropping Moeen than playing various other people, none of which did especially well (or badly) anyway. Would Leach or Bess have done any better yesterday?

In retrospect, a trick has been missed. You tend to think of an off spinner like Moeen being more dangerous against left handers, but with Ishant (and indeed Curran) playing, there is also rough outside the right handers off stump, which was how Moeen got his wickets yesterday.
  • Today should be a great day's cricket. If the top 5 can steer us past 50 we've got a chance.
  • Cook out. England still 3 behind.
  • Moeen in at 3...
  • Moeen in at 3...

Doesn't say much for the captain.
  • One minute you're out of the team, the next you taking a 5fer and asked to bat at number 3
  • edited September 2018
    Not for long, though. Moeen gone. Effectively 6 for 2.